Broken Ties and Tangled Lies

Just Another Morning

I awoke to my grandmother screaming at us. “WAKE UP!” She said. “COME ON YOU LAZY BUMS!” She said. “GEEZ WHY DID I GET STUCK WITH YOU??” She said. This went on for a while before she stomped out of the house, slamming the door behind her. I took my pillow off of my face, away from my ears. Thank God. The she-beast had finally left. I got off of the couch and went up to Nathan and Paris’ room to wake them up.

When I got to the kids’ room, they weren’t there. What the heck? They had to be on the bus in 15 minutes! I ran down the stairs, beginning to panic, praying this was only another dream and that it would go away. But, when I fell down the whole set of stairs, I found that this couldn’t be a dream. I screamed for Clay, begging him to come help me immediately. He came running, as always.

“Ally? What’s wrong?”
“Bub, Paris and Nathan are gone. They aren’t in their room an-”
“Chill. They’re waiting on the bus. In the front room, of course. It’s freezing out there.”
“Jesus, Clay, don’t scare me like that.”
“Sorry. May I ask why you’re lying in the floor?”
“I.. uh.. I fell. I can’t get up.”

That’s when my bubby picked me up and carried me to the kitchen. He set me down on a wooden stool in front of the table. There were golden waffles in front of my spot. I smiled at my brother as he went to get me an ice pack. He was more of a dad than our dad had ever been or could ever be, for that matter. I elevated my ankle and applied my ice pack to the swollen spot, as I’d been told. I ate slowly- the longer I ate, the longer I wasn’t at school.

Of course, my brother was getting frustrated with my slow-pokeness and began to yell at me from the front room.

“ALLY! LET”S GO! SCHOOL STARTS IN 20!”
“Oh, hush, I’m coming!.” I inspected myself in the filthy bathroom mirror before I left. I had put on my favorite Spidey T-shirt, blue skinnies and my red converse. I wore a white beanie over my light brown, curly hair. Last but certainly not least, I had thrown on a thin layer of mascara over my dark brown eyes. With a touch of sparkly lip gloss, I was out the door.