Status: Please message me if you guys feel like I’m starting to write characters OCish. Also I would like some constructive feedback on how my writing it. What do you like about it? What do you think I can improve?

Lonely Souls

Chapter 7: The Awkward Breakfast

~~~Hisoka’s P. O.V.~~~
I woke up soon after I felt movement beside me. I didn’t really want to get up. The bed was so warm and soft.... I sat up straight up when I realized that this wasn’t my bed. Mine was essentially a futon. And the light was coming into the room from the wrong side. That’s when everything came back. My eyes began to well up with tears.
No! I would not cry. My parents would want me to be strong. I couldn’t be weak. Not ever again.
Stretching, I got out of bed and put on my glasses. I took a closer look around the room. It was very plain. Except there were a few personal items scattered around the room. That’s when I realized that I wasn’t in a guest room. I was in someone’s personal bedroom. Kyoya’s? The thought sent both a blush to my cheeks and a shiver down my spine.
That-That also meant the nightshirt I was wearing was either his or it belonged to someone in the family. I had to get out of the shirt. I looked around the room for my clothes and found them on a hanger, hanging off the door. I took it off the door and changed back into my clothes. I found my backpack laying a desk nearby and opened it.
After searching for it, I finally found my hairbrush. Brushing my hair, I looked at the shirt that I had folded and placed on the chair. I wanted to keep it, for comfort’s sake. But I also didn’t want to steal from Kyoya, not after what he did for me. My selfishness won out and I put the shirt in my backpack.
Slinging the backpack onto my shoulder I hesitantly headed out the door and into the hallway. I walked around aimlessly, since everything looked the same. Then I quite literally ran into a maid. “I’m sorry! I got loss.”
“It is quite alright, Akiyama-san. Master Kyoya asked me to bring you to the dining room to have breakfast.”
“I don’t wish to intrude. I should probably just head home.”
“Sir mentioned that you might say that. So he took the liberty of taking something from your backpack for observation.”
Any color that was in my face drained. The only thing I could think of that he would be even slightly interested in was my notebook. “Fine. Lead the way.”
She bowed and turned around. “Of course, Miss.”
Under my breath, I grumbled, “Damn manipulative bastard.”
A few short minutes later, we entered a dining room with one long table in the center. The walls were plain white, just like the rest of the house. Though one wall was just a giant window over looking a yard of perfectly cut green grass. At the table sat Kyoya and what I assumed to be the rest of the family.
Everyone turned to look at me when I entered the room. A blush rose up in my cheeks as I pulled my sweater tighter around my body. I didn’t like attention. Especially not from the family of the person who let me sleep in their bed. I made my way to Kyoya. He looked up at me with a raised eyebrow. “Kyoya-san, whatever you took from my backpack, I would like it back now.”
“Only after you’ve had breakfast. Ranka would be upset if he found out that I let leave without at least something to eat. And if I remember correctly, you haven’t eaten since yesterday when Honey gave you cake to eat at the lake.”
My stomach growled in agreement with his statement and I sighed in defeat. “Alright, you win. I’ll eat. But the moment I’m done, I want whatever you took back.”
He nodded his head. I was about to pull a seat out for myself, but Kyoya was already up and pulling it out for me. Being a military brat I knew all about etiquette, but that still didn’t mean that I wasn’t surprised by his gesture. I placed my backpack next to me on the ground and took the seat that he offered. The moment I was seated properly, I looked around at the faces staring at me.
I looked down at my hands fidgeting in my lap. I really didn’t like how they were looking at me. Kyoya broke the silence. “Hisoka-san, this is my family. *Pointing at each person* My father and mother. My brothers, Yuuichi and Akito. And my sister Fuyumi.”
“It’s a pleasure to meet you all.”
Fuyumi smiled kindly at me. “And it’s a pleasure to meet you as Hisoka-chan.”
I smiled back. She seemed to be the kindest person here. Suddenly a maid was at my side and placed a bowl of oatmeal and rice in front of me. I smiled. It was drowned in cream and covered in honey and bit of brown sugar. Just the way I liked it. Still very conscious about the company around me, I began to eat the way my mother taught me: slow, small bites.
The entire time, the room was silent. Everyone ate their food. And the entire time, Mr. and Mrs. Oturi watched me from behind the glare of their glasses. Needless, to say this was the most awkward situation I had ever been in. And I’ve been in a lot.
Finally Mr. Oturi said, “Akiyama-san, my condolences. Your father was a great man. A genius.”
I knew this was coming. It still didn’t make me feel any better. “Thank you, sir.”
“That being said, what are you plans for the company? You are the heiress, aren’t you?”
I placed my spoon on the edge of the plate and brushed my hair away from my face to look him in the eye. “I am the heiress to the company. And even though I’m sixteen, I do plan on running the company. I’m going to rely heavily on the men who run the different divisions until I finish school of course. But don’t worry. I’ll still build you’re precious hospitals.”
I probably shouldn’t have answered him with so much snark. But he was grating on my nerves. Especially when he was insinuating that I couldn’t do what my father could. For a brief moment there was a look of complete surprise on his face. And the tension in the room reached extraordinary proportions. Then Mr. Oturi chuckled.
“Your father said you were a true business woman. But he never mentioned you had guts!”
I sighed. “Kyoya, I’m done. Please give it back to me.”
He stood up and helped me out of my chair. Before I could grab my backpack, he did. “I left it in my room. I’m not stupid.”
‘Of course, he would leave it there.’ Walking down the hall, I grumbled to myself, “But apparently I am.”
“Quite the contrary, Hisoka-san. You are one of the smartest people I have met.”
He didn’t look at me, and I was thankful for that because of the blush that rose up in my cheek. Now that was a compliment I could get behind. We entered the room and he automatically went to one of the drawers. He pulled out my hat and handed it to me. I took it wide-eyed. “Tell me, Hisoka-san, why do you look so surprised?”
“Well for one thing, knowing you, I thought you took my notebook.”
“Hmm, an intriguing idea. But no. I respect the fact that you yourself keep one. I don’t want you to ever look in mine. Thus I wouldn’t look in yours.”
“In that case, thank you. And thank you for last night. Now... please take me home.”
“Of course. This way.”
And so Kyoya led me to the car parked out in front and opened the door for me. I settled in with my backpack resting across my lap. Since we weren’t riding in a limo, Kyoya was sitting next to me. The entire ride, we didn’t talk to each other. But we didn’t need to. It was silent. But it was a comfortable silence.
I was almost upset when we pulled up to the apartment building. I got out and was immediately pulled into a bear hug by what was left of my family.
(NOTE: PLEASE COMMENT WITH SPECIFICS ABOUT WHAT YOU LIKE AND DON’T LIKE. IT WOULD BE REALLY HELPFUL!)