Status: I know that im bad at summeries but please give this story a shot! It may seem a little confusing in the begining but if anyone has any questions whatsoever feel free to ask away! Enjoy the story!

A Song of Change

Chapter 26 the Last Goodbye

Chapter 26
The Last Goodbye:
I awoke in the morning, now lying in my bed, and I felt as if my body was tingling. There were just so many feelings racing through me. Today was my eighteenth birthday. Today was the day I would become an official caregiver. Today was the day I would have my own house. Today was the day I would be coupled.
Even though all of those excited and happy feeling were racing through me there were still those feelings of doubt and sadness for today was the last day I would ever spend in the house I grew up in. Today was the last day that I will ever see my parents. And even though Julian and I both promised each other that we would be together there was still a chance that he would not be my husband.
I shook my head clear of those painful thoughts and kept only the positive thoughts in mind as I got ready. When I was done I walked into the living room to see my Mother and Father helping each other cook breakfast in the kitchen. They didn't notice that I had walked in so I took the opportunity to just watch them.
The pain and sadness that had been on their faces the night before was now replaced with ones of pure happiness. They worked fluently together as if they were made for each other. So perfectly aligned that you would think they were one person. I walked in slowly giving them more time to feel free to just be with the person they love.
"Annabell dear," Mother said turning to me, her green eyes now back to their bright and happy selves. She whipped her hands on her apron before bringing me into a hug. I relaxed into it taking in everything that was my mother, not knowing if this was the last hug I would ever receive from her.
"I love you so much, Mother," I whispered to her before pulling away from the hug with what I hoped was a convincing smile. "So do you need any help," I asked stepping closer to the mixing bowl.
I helped my parents make breakfast and we ate together at the small, round dining table for the last time. We ate my favorite breakfast, pancakes with fresh strawberries, telling happy and funny stories of the past. I couldn't tell if my parents were avoiding the topic of me leaving and that was why we stuck to the past but I was grateful none the less.
My Mother and I were washing the breakfast dishes when there was a knock at the door. We continued to wash as if nothing had happened while my Father walked to the door. I didn't have to turn around to know what this was about. When you turn eighteen a member from the Society comes to take you to your new house where you will meet your couple, no parents allowed with you.
This was not going to be any different for me. "Annabell Gray ," I heard a woman's voice from the door. I dried my hands off on a towel that was hanging near by and slowly turned to face the woman, placing a smile on my face as I did so, "Yes," I said glad that my voice didn't come out as weak as I felt.
"I will be waiting outside for you when you are ready," the woman said, her face void of emotion, and with that she stepped back outside closing the door behind her. I stared down at the floor, unable to move, my body too shocked to move. I knew all of this was coming, all of it. But still I was filled with a sickening surprise now that it was happening. Now that all of this was a reality.
I don't know how long I had been just standing there when I felt my Father's strong and comforting hands on my shoulders. "Annabell," he said but I couldn't do anything but stare at the floor, "Annabell look at me, please," my Father said, his grip on my shoulders tightening slightly.
I slowly raised my head then and brought my eyes to meet his bright ones that were so full of love. "That's my girl," he said with a faint smile, "do you remember our deal?" He asked. I nodded my head still not trusting my voice. "Then you know that you have nothing to be afraid of. You will love that boy and you will be happy," my Father said with more confidence this time.
It was then that I realised what he thought I had been afraid of. He thought that I was so worried about who I was going to be with not who I was going to leave behind. "But that's not what I'm afraid of Father. I don't want to leave you! I love you," I said coming close to tears.
I was so angry and sad all at the same time. I was angry that I had absolutely no say in the matter of my own life. I was angry that I was being forced to leave my parents. My kind and wonderful parents, whom I love so so much and the Society doesn't even seem to care.
And I was sad that there was nothing that I could do about it. This is how everything has been for so long and who am I to go against everyone else. "We know sweatheart," my mother said as she stepped closer to me. She looked so strong standing there with no sign of tears in her bright green eyes, "but you have to go now. Your Father and I have raised you to become a strong and beautiful woman and you have become just that," she said looking at me and my Father.
"You can do this kiddo, just know that we will always love you no matter what," he said placing a kiss on my forehead before backing up. "Your Father is right," my Mother said, "now you go out there and live you life. Be happy, that's all we have ever wanted for you," she said bringing me to her in a hug.
My Mother pulled back and walked over to the door where my Father was waiting. I took a deep breath and let it out slowly before joining them. My parents were smiling now and I stopped in front of them feeling as if their strength was spreading to me. "Goodbye, Mother and Father," I said as I opened the door. I walked out and just before I closed the door behind me I heard my Father whisper, "I love you kiddo."