All the Things in Between

London, England

“Hey mate, how’s things?” Harry said as he passed me in the hall. I spun around on my heel and cracked a smile at him.

“Maybe you might be able to help me...”

“With what?” He asked.

“That lass with the brown hair and the glasses-”

“Adelaide?”

“Oh I don’t actually know her name but-”

“I was just going to find her I’ll introduce you,” he said walking past me down the hallway in search of the girl.

“Do you know her?”

“Yeah, pretty well.”

“Umm,” I coughed a little, “like biblically?”

Harry laughed and turned the corner as our long legs kept pace with each other. “No, I haven’t slept with her. She’s a great girl though, Niall’s tried....a few times,” he said shaking his head and looking down at the floor. When he looked up we saw her swoop out of a room typing away on her phone.

“Ad!” Harry called out making her snap her head up and smile at him. She put her phone into her back pocket as I stood awkwardly next to him as she jokingly punched his arm.

“This is Ashton,” Harry offered standing to the side so I could be properly introduced.

“Hi Ashton, I’m Adelaide great to meet you,” she said offering her hand. I took it and smiled at her.

“Ever been there?”

“Where?” She asked chuckling and raising an eyebrow. “OH! Adelaide, because you're Australian and...” she trailed off pointing between me and her. “Anyway, no not yet, sadly! Some day!”

I’d like to take you there, right now.

“Are you from there?” She asked me, her smile infectious.

“No, I’m from Sydney, or just right outside it.”

“That’s awesome, I’m from Doncaster which is up north here in the good ol’ UK,” she offered the information freely to me. She looked down at her phone as it vibrated in her hand. “Hey, I’m sorry I’m needed to sort things for meet and greets. I’ll catch your performance tonight, yeah?”

I swallowed hard and nodded. She was so easy to talk to, she didn’t have a nervous twitch in her body, while my palms were literally dripping sweat.

She smiled at me as she turned on her heel and walked away. I watched as she turned the corner, feeling like a fool from that conversation.

____________

We were on an post concert high, all of us in the band and because of it the boys insisted they take us out. As we piled into the vans to go to a bar, club or whatever I searched for the other Tomlinson but didn’t notice her. I was disappointed to say the least, because Ashton with a little liquid courage would make a better impression than Ashton stumbling over his words.

“Three of what you’ve got on tap,” I told the bartender. The place we were out was insane, especially for a dweeb from Australia. We got the whole VIP package, and the fact that I was underage and being served attested to the fact that it really matters who you know.

“Make it four!” I heard someone say beside me. I whipped my head to the side to see the vision that was Adelaide.

“Hey you, nice to see you again,” she said smiling at me as her arm brushed against mine.

“Likewise. Thought you weren’t coming...”

“I had some bullshit at the arena to deal with because someone thought I was Zayn’s newest affair because we hugged,” she groaned and shook her head dropping it into her hands. “Sometimes people are a little too possessive over something they don’t own. “

“I’m learning this quickly,” I told her. The bartender slide the four beers in front of us as she rifled around her wallet trying to find some money. “I’ve got it, don’t worry about.” I told her and she sent me a megawatt smile.

“Buying me a drink on the first night? What a gentleman!” She said grabbing her beer and another one, following me up to the VIP section.

“So you excited for this tour?”

“Yeah, can’t believe its real. What do you do exactly on tour?”

“I work with PR sometimes, but most of the time I’m assisting the boys doing things they need or running for coffee, really anything that comes my way.”

“You like doing it?”

“Yeah, they are my family so I get to be with them all the time, versus missing them and, they’ve got a pretty cute supporting act so thats not bad.” She laughed taking a swig of her beer.

“Heard they’re shit.” I smiled at her.

“Heard the drummer’s got a thing for the boy banders sister...” she said leaning in and smiling at me. At this point I was a good 2 and a half beers in, so I was nervous but confident. I was quickly learning that Adelaide wasn’t scared of much.

“She’s pretty good looking,” he shrugged.

“Think maybe the drummer would want to dance with the boy banders sister?”

Before I could even say anything I finished the rest of my beer and grabbed her hand. She let out a little yelp as she was thrown off by my brazen more. I saw Michael raise a questioning eyebrow and nod his head in my direction as he hit Calum in the arm, both eyes watched up climb down the stairs.

The dance floor was packed with drunken patrons dancing off beat to the music. I held mine and Adelaide’s intertwined hands up in the air as she navigated us through the throngs of people. Once we were in the middle of the action she twirled around on her fingers and came face to face with me. She put her hands around my necks as she swayed to the music, the flashing strobe lights illuminating her smiling her face.

She leaned her head back and laughed a little as she continued to dance. I was soaking in her features, the clavicle bone that looked like it should be kissed, her warm smile and her arms holding me close.

“I’m not a nun,” she said to me pulling me out of my daze and grabbing my hands from her upper back and sliding them down to her hips. “Put them where you please,” she said smirking at me.

“The boys..”

“We’ll be fine, I can do what I want.” She told me matter of factly, I could see something flash across her eyes, like she was frustrated from people always worrying about the band associated with her.

The song changed and I saw her look at me and smile, figuring it was one she loved. She whipped around and pressed her body against mine, not saying a word as she got in a rhythm with me. I put my hands on her hips and tried to focus on anything other than her body rubbing against mine. I was naturally good at keeping a beat, this was expected as a drummer, but I had never been more out of tune that I was at this moment. She was using her hips to guide mine, but I was so focused on everything else.

She leaned her head back and I dipped my head to meet hers, “Wanna skip out on this joint?”

I nodded at her and she smiled before turning around and heading towards the door. We stumbled out of the door and started walking in the opposite direction down the street.

“Do you know where we are going?”

“Yeah its London, I live here,” she giggled grabbing my hand. I shrugged it off and followed her, getting a moment to appreciate all her finer assets from behind.

“Like what you see?” She asked me as we came to an intersection.

“Uhh, Umm haha,” I stuttered rubbing the back of my neck.

“I’m only taking the piss mate!” She leaned in to my cheek and pressed a kiss to it. “You’re dimples are adorable when you smile.” She told me.

“You run off with Australian boys you just met, often?” I joked with her as we walked down the street.

“Only the special ones.” She told me looking me straight in the eye.

“So where are we going exactly...”

“We are going back to my place,” she told me as she fiddled with her pockets, pulling out a key.

I coughed nervously, unsure of what that really meant.

“We are going back to my place and sitting on the roof, getting piss drunk.” She smiled as we rounded the corner. “I live here with Louis, so you’ll have to excuse his mess. I swear he sometimes thinks I’m his fuckng maid!”

The doorman opened the door for us and Adelaide smiled at him, walking over to the lift. Pressing number 7 once we stepped in.

“Nice place,” I complimented her as we walked into the flat. It was upscale, that was clear but it also had these touches of, reality I would say. It didn’t seem like no one lived her with the empty beer bottle on the table, the dishes in the sink and the numerous family photos laid across the hearth of the fireplace.

“It’s home for now. At least I have my own room,” she said scoffed as she kicked a pair of dirty jeans out of the way. She grabbed my hand and lead me into the kitchen, grabbing some beer from the fridge.

She was silent as I followed her to the stairs outside their flat. They lead up to the roof because there was a big sign sayings “RESIDENTS ONLY” labeling it’s entrance. Once on top of the building I took in the view of London below me. The lights shining, the people drunkenly walking around and the cars zooming by. It was different from my life in Sydney, all of this way. The entire fame thing, and the huge concerts and now someone like Adelaide showing me any attention.

“How old are you?” She said sitting down and turning to face me. She draped her legs over mine and scooched in closer.

“18.”

“Does it bother you that I’m 19?”

I shook my head and took a swig of the beer. “Not at all.”

“Any siblings?”

“One brother and one sister.”

“I have Louis, obviously and my four younger sisters. I love them to death,” she said turning her head and looking out over the city.

“And your parents?” I urged her to tell me more about her family.

“Mom is a saint and Dad left us.” She said looking down at her bottle. “Louis’ always tried so hard to fill that role, but you can only do so much, ya know?”

“Yeah I do. my dad left us when we were young too.”

“Really?”

“I look after them too, always protecting them,” I offered to her.

“I’m sorry,” she said rubbing under eyes, “You don’t meet many people who relate in this line of work.”

I picked her legs up and moved closer to her, feeling her warm body against mine. The freezing February air not deterring us.

I looked at her and grabbed her hand, intertwining her fingers with mine.

“Favorite band?” I asked her, trying to get her mind off reality.

“Such a tough questions...I love The Script and Ed Sheeran but The Eagles and Blink 182 ahh!” She laughed. “I really can’t pick one!”

“I completely understand. So many good bands, and such different styles.”

“Exactly!” She said pulling her phone out of her jacket pocket. “It’s Harry. Why he is calling me I don’t know. Give me a second,” she said as she swung her legs off mine and walked across the roof. I wanted her frame walking away. She looked almost exactly like her brother from behind, and her hair color matched his.

I watched her walk away, trailing my eyes up and down her legs. It was nearly five minutes before she walked back.

“One, he’s drunk,” she smiled shaking her head, “Two Niall asked Louis if he could marry me tonight and Louis shoved him and he fell down the stairs, and three he need to make sure I was alright. Told him I was with some weird Australian guy and he let it go,” she smiled sitting down beside me.

“Surprised he hasn’t run after me with a raised fist, trying to chase me off.”

She laughed at me and shook her head, “Don’t worry about Harry, he’s as harmless as a puppy. It’s Lou you want to watch out for, he’s protective.”

“Should I leave before he gets here?” I asked her honestly. I didn’t want to get her in trouble before the tour even started.

“Fuck that, I can do as I please. Wanna head down to the flat? It’s fucking freezing!”

We plopped down on her sofa after she made us two cups of tea. The weather didn’t bother me much, it was really the girl next to me laughing at my stupid jokes and laying her legs across mine that got me wound up.

“You like touring?” She asked breaking the comfortable silence that had fallen over us.

“I love it.”

“Do you ever miss your family or girlfriend?”

I chuckled a little, she was smooth I’ll give her that. “I miss my mom and siblings like crazy, I’ve always loved them with everything I’ve got so obviously being away is hard. As for the girlfriend I suppose I’d miss her if I had one. What about you? Hmm? This boyfriend of yours like your travelling the world with rich boys and adoring fans?”

She laughed at me and set her tea down. “I don’t have time for shit like that. “

“Don’t have time or don’t have the need for a boyfriend?”

“I’m sure you can relate but being related to the world’s biggest pop stars isn’t easy. There are greedy people out there, and I’ve been used, abused and tormented because I didn’t live up to the image painted for me by the fans. So when I meet someone who proves me that risking it all is worth it again, then they can have my heart.”

“That’s deep.” I told her as she traced the rim of the tea mug with her finger.

“Yeah well you’re new to this. It’s exciting...the girls, the cameras, the adoring fans. It will get old though, and you’ll want someone to snuggle up to after the paparazzi are particularly mean to you, or you read something online or better yet when you realize it’s lonely on the top.”

“Is that how you feel?”

“I’m not even the famous one but I still feel the effects of stardom.” She told me honestly. “It’s fucking 3am, the night after your first arena show and you get the pleasure of sitting here listening to me complain about fame I don’t even have.” She sighed looking down at her legs.

I had only known her for a few hours but I was hooked already. I wanted to know everything about her, from the way her hands fit mine, to the curve of her spine beneath my hands and her favorite food.

“Honestly, wouldn’t want to be anywhere else.”

“You're lying because you thought I was going to sleep with you,” she told me, laughing a little.

“Nooo...well maybe for a split second.” She cracked a smile at my honesty. “But now all I want to do is listen to you tell me everything and anything.”

“Well aren’t you the gentleman.” She told me. She swung her legs off me and moved in closer. She picked up my arm and wrapped it around her shoulder. “If we are staying here then I atleast need a snuggle.”
_____________________

I woke up the next morning to my phone buzzing like crazy on the couch next to me. Adelaide had spread her legs across the rest of the sofa and somehow intertwined her fingers with mine, pulling my arm across her body and resting it on her chest. I tried my best to quite the phone without waking her up.

The clock told me it was nearly noon, but it was the 6 missed calls from Luke and the some 30 plus texts from Calum that told me I was missing rehearsal for the show.

“Fuckkkk,” I said lowly under my breath.

“Everything alright,” I felt Adelaide stir beside me.

“Im late for rehearsal. Management is calling me and shit,” I said releasing my hand from hers and standing up searching for my shoes.

“They are over there,” she pointed near the window. I sent her a small smile as I walked over to them, slipping the boots on my feet. I watched as she stood up, adjusting her shirt and pressing down her hair.

“So I guess I’ll see you around then?” She asked fiddling with a loose string on her shirt.

“How about we meet up tonight, same place?”

“My room?” She chuckled.

“No this sofa,” I asked pointing to the sofa behind her. “I’ll come prepared with movies or snacks or whatever.”

“As tempting as that sounds, I’m flying up to Glasgow after the show tonight with the boys. And I’m assuming you guys are too.”

“We got the bus, we don’t get the popstar perks,” I told her grabbing my jacket off the floor near the door where it had fallen.

“So what if I meet you on your sofa? In the bus?” She asked nervously.

“I think I could find some room for you on there.”

“You say that you can find room but your face is saying ‘shit, we need to clean it.’ It’s really not a problem we can grab coffee or something in Glasgow.”

“No, hang with us. You know 1D pretty well, why not get to know 5sos, and by 5sos I mean Ashton Irwin.”

“Oh that weird Australian drummer you told me about last night?” She said making a grimace.

“Yeah, oh man forgot about him. He’s everywhere they are. Damn,” I giggled as she stepped closer to me.

“You’ve got a great sense of humour,” she told me honestly.

“I’m also a great kisser,” I said my eyes instantly bulging out of my head. “Or so I’ve been told-yeahhh. Ya know?”

“Prove it.” She told me staring me straight in the eyes. I was hesitant. Not about kissing her, hell no I wanted to do it, but about not being able to stop.

I took a step towards her and leaned down grabbing her lips with mine. I let my hand cradle the side of her face holding her close. It wasn’t an innocent peck on the lips but it wasn’t a hot and heavy french kiss as well. Our lips glided over each others for what felt like a millisecond but it must have been about 30 seconds. I stepped back, realizing the situation and she stood there her eyes closed and sighed.

“Didn’t think I would do it, did you?” I asked her as she slowly opened her eyes.

“Not gonna lie, thought you didn’t have the balls.”

“If I see your brother I won’t tell him I was here.”

“Yeah I’d stay away from 1D and the words kiss and Adelaide. Unless of course you want a fight,” she shrugged turning and walking away.

“So that’s it. No ‘You’re a good kisser Ash,” or “Thanks Ash.””

“How about, you’re late as it is and don’t kiss and tell.”

She smirked at me, satisfied with her response. I had the feeling she put up this wall, this front with all the boys she meant as a means to protect herself. When in reality she wanted someone to equal her, to call her out.

I watched as she walked away from me, rounding the corner into the kitchen without so much as a goodbye. I got a wave of courage and followed after her.

“I thought you’d have left by now,” she said turning around, startled by my hands on her waist.

I leaned down and pressed my lips to hers again, pressing her up against the counter. She let her fingers get tangled in my mop of hair as my hands held her in place. Her tongue moved in sync with mine and for a moment we were lost in each others presence. It was the sudden slamming of the front door that made us jump apart.

“Hey Ad, you here?”

‘Go!’ She mouthed pushing me towards the door. I turned and gave her one final kiss before I saw Louis enter the kitchen.

“Oh Ashton...and Adelaide. What’s going on?”

“Oh Ash just helped me home last night, I was drunker than I thought. Totally a gentlemen. Thanks Ash! See you around.” She said waving as I walked towards the door.

“Thanks man,” Louis said offering me his hand. I shook it firmly before replying.

“No problem mate. See ya around. “

“See ya at the venue.”

With that I left a flushed Adelaide to talk with her brother as I adjusted myself out in the hallway. She was going to give me a run for my money, and I liked that.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments equal faster updates!

I hope you enjoy!!