Lonely No More

rules

Jocelyn nervously tucked her hair behind her ear as she sat down at her desk that Monday morning. She dressed in her favorite new emerald green blouse, a fitted pair of cropped, black dress pants and had skipped her pulled back hair for loose curls down the front of her shoulders.

Sipping her Starbucks, it was hard to keep her mind from wandering to her unconventional weekend with Beau. After staying over on Saturday night, they shared breakfast before he left to make an appointment at the clinic to nail down whether or not he had a virus.

Waking up with Beau in her bed was an experience. There wasn’t a single part of his body that wasn’t touching her, his body melded as tightly as possible up against hers, legs tangled, chest to back and soft puffs of breath from his mouth right in her ear.

Needless to say, it was rather warm. Jocelyn had somehow managed to wiggle away that morning from his grasp before he woke up. She didn’t know what she would have said if he woke up with her still tightly wound into his arms.

Bringing up the webcam on her computer, she quickly checked her makeup, just carefully fixing the neutral lip liner and matching lipstick. She would never admit she had spent just a little more time getting ready for the office that morning.

She hadn’t heard much from Beau after he left that weekend. He sent her a text to let her know he had gotten some strong antibiotics to combat whatever he was feeling as soon as possible and was going to try to sleep away most of the day.

It wasn’t long until players finally started filing in. They had a later start time that morning seeing as they had only just arrived home from Vancouver the previous afternoon.

“Hi Flower.” She smiled, greeting the netminder.

“Joss – how was your weekend?” He asked, smile as wide as ever, not unlikely due to the ten AM practice.

“It was good, I got a lot done.” She smiled, “lots of cleaning and grocery shopping.” She added.

“Wow, Joss, way to get wild.” He teased in good nature.

“You and I have fun in different ways.” She laughed, clearing away a few junk emails she had sent to her work email.

Emptying out her inbox, she flipped her calendar, filling out game and practice times for the week to coincide with her personal schedule as well. Two home games that week and two practices. Jim had been having her watch practice occasionally now from his office as they coordinated for the week together. She liked the change of scenery as well as Jim’s office, which was warm and comfortable.

“Morning Joss.” She looked up to see the Captain coming in.

“Hi Sid.” She replied.

“You get a haircut?” He asked. Instead of spending the time to explain that for some reason she felt compelled to leave her hair down for the first time in months, she simply nodded with a demure smile.

“I did.” She countered.

“Looks good.” He complimented before disappearing into the dressing room. She nervously tucked the same piece of hair behind her ear again. Taking a long sip of her water from her coveted Kate Spade tumbler, she crossed her feet at the ankle, trying her best to keep her mind busy.

“Miss Jocelyn, you are looking stunning today.” She rolled her eyes playfully at Steve Downie’s compliment. Now that the forward from Philly had gotten settled in his role with the Penguins, he was becoming much more personal and coming out of his social shell.

“Morning, Downie.” She laughed as he sauntered right up her desk, happy to pick through her candy jar, which was stocked with fruity tootsie rolls. “How was Vancouver?” She asked.

“Rainy, always rainy, Joss.” He said, running a hand through his now long hair and giving her a roguish grin. “And what kind of trouble did you get up to this weekend? Did you watch me on TV?” He asked.

“Do you really think that with the few, precious hours I spend away from the arena, I watch your games on television?” She asked, giggling in the slightest, hoping to not give herself away. He gave her a pointed look, cracking her façade. “I caught a few minutes, but I did have things to do, you know.” She finished.

“Things like what?” He asked.

“Oi, Downie, you’re in my girl’s personal space.” Jocelyn’s face flushed a bright pink as she heard the all too familiar voice.

“Your girl? Sunshine, I think you’re mistaken.” Downie replied, leaning one elbow casually on Jocelyn’s desk. “Joss and I are madly in love,” he added, “we’re gonna settle down, buy a house in the burbs, pop out a couple of little Downie juniors.” He elaborated, this time, Jocelyn meant it as she rolled her eyes.

“Keep dreaming.” Beau slugged him in the shoulder. Downie gave Jocelyn one last wink before making his way to the dressing room as well. “Morning, Josie.” She gave her mind just a moment to process his smiling face with a sip of her coffee.

“Morning Beau, how are you feeling?” She asked, crossing her legs under her desk as he glued his eyes to her, leaning over the top tier of her desk.

“Much better, can’t say I slept very well last night…” he trailed, making her eyes snap up to him. “Wasn’t the same without you there.” He finished, rather proud of himself as her cheeks burned a bright red.

“Beau!” She scolded, looking around to see if anyone was within earshot of their conversation.

“S’true.” He shrugged, feeling his confidence skyrocket at the little, bashful smile tugging at her lips.

“Go get your skates on.” She scolded, pointing over to the locker room door.

“You got it, coach.” He laughed, planting a quick kiss on her cheek and dodging back to the double doors.

Jocelyn rolled her eyes, flustered as she attempted to focus on her work again. She didn’t know what kind of ideas Beau had about the two of them, but he certainly needed to learn how to wrangle his mouth in the workplace.

- - -

Jocelyn was packing up her tote and headed to her car that afternoon as her work day wound down. She was feeling confident about the amount of things she finished and could go in the next morning without anything to worry about.

Tucking her cell phone under her thigh, she gathered her hair in front of her shoulder and tied it off so it wouldn’t get in her face as she drove home. Starting her car, she carefully pulled away from the parking lot as she was parked right between two Mercedes before making her way home.

After a few moments on the highway, she felt her phone vibrate from under her leg. She wasn’t normally the type to answer her phone while driving, but upon seeing Beau’s name and two cat emojis (courtesy of the man himself), she was dying of curiosity.

“Mr. Bennett.” She answered.

“You know, you really shouldn’t talk and drive.” He replied right away, making her smile.

“How do you know I’m driving and not at home already?” She countered.

“Because I’m right behind you.” He quipped, making her glance up into her rearview mirror to see his familiar black car tailing her.

“Are you following me, Beau-tie?” She asked.

“If I said I was, would you let me buy you dinner?” He asked. He waited as she mulled over his offer in her head.

“I have to stop at home and feed Geno.” She smiled, “let’s talk there.” She said before ending the call. Beau grinned to himself as he followed her all the way back to her apartment.

Arriving at her building, she made it a few moments before Beau, heading into her building and up to her door. She was mid-pour of Geno’s dry food when there was a knock at her door. Geno twisted around Joss’ legs excitedly before diving into his dinner.

“Hi.” Jocelyn smiled, opening her door for Beau, who strolled into her apartment like he owned the place. “What are you still doing at the arena at five o’clock?” She asked.

“Had a quick meeting with Kadar.” He said, “plus, wanted to check in on you, just in case Downie was hanging around again.” He teased, to which Jocelyn rolled her eyes.

“I’m going to change out of these clothes quick.” She said, plugging her phone into the charger on her kitchen counter, aware of his eyes on her.

Do you need help? Beau wanted to ask. “I’ll be here.” He replied. Jocelyn made her way back to her little bedroom, quickly stripping out of her work clothes and into a pair of jeans, a soft, black sweater and swapped her earrings out for her favorite pair of pearl studs.

Stepping into her worn fall boots she opted to also throw on a printed cardigan for warmth.

“Sorry, back.” She apologized unnecessarily before appearing in her kitchen again where Beau was messing with her phone.

“You hungry?” He asked.

“Very. I was only planning on making a pizza in the oven.” She explained, gesturing to her freezer.

“I need a chicken burger, and I know an excellent place that sells them.” He counter-offered.

“Okay.” She sighed, feigning annoyance as she reached into her purse, fishing around for her wallet.

“One catch, though.” He stepped into her personal space, causing her to freeze and look up at him. He loved those damn librarian glasses. He reached out and gently pulled her hair tie down her ponytail, once again setting her long curls loose. “Your hair is so soft.” He all but whispered. “And leave your wallet here, you can grab your license if you plan to get a beer.” He added. “Actually, definitely grab your ID, I’d love to see you with a few beers.” He winked, making her cheeks flush red. Following his instructions, she grabbed her ID from her wallet, sticking it in her back pocket as Beau pulled his car keys from his.

She took his extended hand and let him lead her down to his car where he opened the passenger door for her.

“Why are you following me home, Beau?” She asked, crossing her legs as he drove away from her apartment.

“Because I can.” He said, happy to tangle his fingers with hers once again in the car.

“Why are you holding my hand, Beau?” She asked, grinning as a slow, wide smile spread across his face.

“Because I can.” He repeated, “well, actually, because you’re letting me.” He retracted, making her giggle.

Jocelyn decided not to argue with her driver as he proceeded to the same restaurant they always went to, once before with Sidney and Bailey Crosby, and again with her nephew, Mikey. She then remembered that his birthday was soon coming and had to think of a good gift for the soon-to-be seven year old.

“Hey, what kind of toys did you like when you were little?” She asked the blonde after he pulled her chair out for her at their table.

“Like how little?” He asked.

“Seven?” She said as he took his seat.

“I was super into Legos and Tonka Trucks.” He explained, “I’m pretty sure my mom still has them at our house.” He laughed, making her grin as well.

“Mikey’s birthday is coming up and I want to get him a really good present,” she explained.

“We could go to Lego Land and pick out a cool set.” He offered, “I love Lego Land.” He added, making her giggle.

“How old are you again?” She asked.

“Older than you.” He winked. They each scanned the menu, Beau ordering his chicken burger and sweet potato waffle fries while Joss opted for a big chopped salad with coconut chicken, avocado, eggs and honey mustard.

Her phone lit up with a text message with an unknown number flashing across the top. She recognized it as a phone number with a Pittsburgh area code.

“Do you know this number?” She asked, picking up her cell. Beau fished his own out of his pocket, bringing up his contact list. She read off the ten-digits.

“That’s Downie.” He replied, recognizing phone number.

“Oh.” Her eyes grew in recognition; he was dying to know what was going on as he watched her cheeks flushed pink.

“What is it?” He asked, craning his neck to see her phone.

“Nothing.” She blushed, slapping the phone down on the tabletop, making him laugh. “Just Downie being Downie.” She flapped a hand, trying to deflect.

“Josie, what is he saying to you?” He asked. Jocelyn rolled her eyes, sliding her phone to the blonde across the table.

From: (412) 555-8925
Joss, you want to grab a drink? Beautiful girls shouldn’t be without some company.


“What a turd.” Beau rolled his eyes, deleting the text before sliding her phone back to her and unlocking his own.

To: Downie
Josie’s already got a date, you bag of milk.
Beau sent off the text.

“What are you doing, Beau-tie?” She asked, pressing him.

“Making sure he knows you already have a date for the night.” Beau replied, brushing his hand over hers on top of the table.

“I don’t think I remember you asking me on a date.” She pointed out, taking a sip of her cherry coke.

“Well… I asked you to come, I drove here, I’m paying… I’m pretty sure that makes it a date, Josie, come on, don’t you know the rules?” He asked.

“The rules?” She raised an eyebrow as their server returned with their dinners.

“I mean, how long has it been since you’ve been on a date?” He asked.

“Longer than I’d like to admit.” She blushed, excitedly eyeing up the large salad in front of her.

“There are rules, Josephine.” He joked.

“My bad.” She laughed, “but I still don’t think this counts as a date.” She pointed out. “Usually a girl knows beforehand when she’s going on a date.” She added.

Beau shook his head with a smile. She was happy to him listen to him vent some of his frustrations with his play, tell a few funny locker room stories and ask her a few questions about her personal life.

After their dinner wrapped up, Beau held her hand in his as they walked further down the street to a self-serve frozen yogurt shop.

“So many flavors.” She said, eyes wide. Beau had noticed that Jocelyn didn’t get too excited about many things, but he rather enjoyed the way her eyes grew at the sight. “I have somewhat of a sweet tooth…” She admitted, grabbing little sample cups just barely bigger than a thimble for tasting.

“Oh, Blackberry.” Beau said, pulling down the handle to dispense the purple soft serve. He watched as she very carefully observed all of the flavors before stopping in front of salted caramel, filling up her little sample cup and just barely tasting the peak of the sample.

“Mmm.” She moaned, walking back to Beau and holding up the little cup to his mouth. “Try.” She insisted. Beau locked eyes with her as he leaned down, closing his mouth over the little cup of frozen yogurt.

“That’s good.” He said, voice low, enough to send shivers down Jocelyn’s spine. Jocelyn grinned up at him, surprising him before she turned back and grabbed a full-size cup, filling it part-way with a few different kinds of the frozen treat. Beau filled up his own cup, Jocelyn giggling at the amount of crushed Reese’s he was packing down into the cup.

“Beau, you know that you have to pay per ounce of this, right?” She laughed.

“Shh, you don’t see me commenting on your dessert.” He pointed out.

It wasn’t warm enough to sit outside anymore, but they found a small table near the back of the store to sit together.

“Bailey is pregnant again.” He said, watching as she carefully picked out a few strawberries from her cup.

“Really?” She asked excitedly. “That’s great!” She added.

“Not surprised, they’ll probably end up having ten kids.” Beau laughed.

“I think it’s sweet.” She said wistfully. “When I was little, I always wanted a bigger family.” She pointed out.

“You want to be a mom someday?” He asked.

“Yeah, I do.” She nodded, “don’t get me wrong I want to have a great career, but growing up with a little family, pretty much just Amanda and I, I had dreams about a big family when I was little.” She explained. “You grew up with a big family, though, don’t you want to have kids?” She asked.

“Definitely.” Beau nodded, not saying a thing as she stretched her spoon over to his bowl to nap a bite of Reese’s. “I loved growing up with all my brothers and sister. There was always something going on, always someone to play with, always noise around the house.” He listed off.

“Crazy to think about stuff like that, I mean, I’m going to be twenty-three soon. By my age, my mom already had both Amanda and I.” She shook her head. “Times have certainly changed.”

Beau held Jocelyn’s hand all the way home in the car, walking her back up to her apartment, he stood by as she unlocked the front door.

“Thanks for the date, Beau.” She laughed, rolling her eyes at his earlier insistence about their engagement that evening.

“You know, there’s one more rule about a date.” Beau said, taking a step closer and effectively invading her personal space. Jocelyn tucked a piece of hair behind her ear.

“What’s that?” She asked, barely having one more moment to bat her eyelashes at him before he ducked down, pressing his warm lips to hers.
♠ ♠ ♠
extra long chapter to make up for yet another delay.
thanks again to all who have been so supportive as i find time to write, can't tell you how much it means to me.
comment if you're liking the story.
next chapter will be STEAMY. i promise ;)
have a great week, everyone!
xo