Status: In Process

If You Tell Me to Stay, I Will Stay Right Through

They Weren't My Friends

One thing I hated most in this world was lying. How people could do it on a daily basis was beyond me. When I lie to someone, which is rare, it hangs over me like a dark cloud.

And that is exactly what was hovering over me since I had lied to Matt and the guys. I hadn’t exactly told them the whole truth about the note.

They hadn’t been very honest with me either though. I know for a fact that Johnny was not trying to enroll at my school. I also know that I was being a jerk for putting him through this whole thing and making him enroll. It was for my personal amusement. I guess that’s selfish, but that’s what they get for following me when I specifically said not to.

BUT THEN AGAIN, I deserved something just as bad as what I was doing to Johnny for lying. I needed to come clean. Hopefully Matt wouldn’t be too upset with me.

The guys had left after we ate lunch and now it was just Matt and I.

He was downstairs playing video games and I was in my room doing some homework. I could hear him yelling at the tv making it hard to concentrate on my homework, especially since I knew I had something to discuss with him.

I sighed and slammed my book shut and made my way downstairs.

“Hey Matt,” I said as I plopped down on the recliner.

“Hey beautiful,” He grinned. “What’s up? You look like you have something on your mind.”

“I do. I really hope you don’t get mad at me for what I’m about to say. You know the note I told you about?” I asked him biting my lip.

He nodded and paused his game.

“Well, I lied about what it said on there,” I watched as his jaw slightly clenched. He was getting angry. “It actually said that I’m being watched and I was going to pay for something I did. I technically didn’t lie. I just summed it up, I mean he’s pretty much saying to watch my back. The reason I lied was because I didn’t want to freak anyone out, but I hate lying. I hate it so much. I can understand if you’re mad at me,” I looked up at him expectantly holding my breath.

He ran a hand over his face, “I’m not mad. I’m glad you came to me with the truth. If I had found out any other way I would’ve completely lost my trust in you. This can’t happen again though. Don’t sugarcoat shit. I want to know everything. Do you understand?” His tone wasn’t gentle, but it wasn’t harsh either. It was more demanding than anything. He was speaking to me as my boss, not my friend.

“Okay,” I simply responded.

“Listen, is there any way you can just take classes online? This is getting fucking insane. You can’t just wander off without someone with you,” He said leaning forward and resting his elbows on his knees. He seemed anxious.

“I was thinking the same thing. I’m going to talk to an advisor about it and see what can be done,” I assured him. I mean, he was right. Anything could happen one of these days as I make my way to class. They would feel like they have to accompany me each time and I didn’t want to raise anymore arguments about it or put any of them in danger.

“Good. So first thing tomorrow call over there and then we’ll figure it out from there,” Matt stated. I nodded. I started to get up and leave but was stopped as he grasped my arm gently. “Sit. We’re not done talking.”

“Is everything okay?”

“No. You still haven’t told me why all of this is happening. Why is he targeting you?” He asked slipping his hand down my arm until he reached my hand and squeezed it.
He had the right to know. Not telling him would be selfish.

“Two years ago, we had a serious increase in gang violence. It was getting so bad and dangerous that some cops were turning in their badges. Their families started to be threatened. That’s exactly what they wanted though, for law enforcement to be scared and let them just run the streets. So one night I was on patrol, we had been assigned a specific area that was known to be gang territory. This gang was one of the most dangerous ones in the city. They were killing innocent people left and right.

That night, we were in an undercover car patrolling the area when we started hearing gunshots. As we rounded the corner we saw them, members of the gang, running towards us. So naturally, we had to pull our guns out. To this day we have no idea how they knew we were in the car. Anyway, it was pretty much a gun fight. I got clipped in the ear,” I moved my hair to the side to show him.

His eyes widened, “I was wondering what had happened there,” He reached out to touch my ear.

“And then what happened?” His forehead creased with concern.

“Well I saw a guy coming towards my partner. He was running full speed with his gun pointed out so
I took him down,” I watched for his expression.

He looked confused at first, but then slowly realization sneaked onto his face. “Wait, took him down? As in? You shot him??”

I nodded. “He died instantly. His brother took it upon himself to seek revenge. We thought he had been killed shortly after but we were wrong. When I saw him I didn’t recognize him right away, because…well that was that last person I expected to see.”

“Damn it Natalie. This shit is crazy,” He muttered pensively. “What is he capable of?”

“Killing me.”

He sighed heavily and then stood up and pulled my arms up so that I was standing as well.
“I’m not going to let anything happen to you okay?” He said softly, tucking my hair behind my ear. I nodded. For some reason, I had no doubt that he meant what he was saying. I fully believed him. I couldn’t remember the last time I had felt that way. He embraced me and it felt so good. I couldn’t help but worry though.

I was worried that I was putting him in danger. I would never forgive myself if anything happened to him.

The next day I called my advisor. She gave me great news. My classes were available online but she reminded me of how much harder it would be. I really had no other choice but to do it.
Matt sat beside me grinning. I rolled my eyes as I got off the phone. “Well that’s settled,” He continued grinning.

“I guess so,” I said eyeing him suspiciously.

“Well I have a few meetings today so I’ll be back later okay?” His eyes twinkling. I nodded slowly as I watched him leave. What the hell was up with him?

I decided to go on with my regular duties. I started cleaning his office which he had made a huge mess of. Papers everywhere, unfinished water bottles, and who knows what else. I wiped down his dark mahogany desk and started picking up the things scattered all over the floor.

I heard the front door open softly. I instantly became alert. No one ever opened that door softly.

I listened for footsteps but whoever it was, was trying hard to be quiet. I walked quietly to the door of his office and pressed my ear against it. My skin tingled, I knew they were right on the other side of the door.

My heart thudded against my shirt, I didn’t have my gun on me. I mean why would I be cleaning with my gun attached at my hip? I mean okay, I did it the first day but with good reason.

I stood to the side waiting for them to open it. My fists were raised up to my chest, ready to strike out.

The knob slowly turned, I held by breath.

One…two…three, as they stepped through the door frame my fist connected to the person’s jaw.

A shrill scream echoed through the office. I gasped as I realized who I had just hit.

Matt’s ex-wife stood before me holding her jaw, tears streamed down her face.

“Oh my God!! I am so sorry!” I yelled. She looked at me with eyes wide. She was scared.

“WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT SHIT?!!” She yelled.

“I thought you were an intruder okay? I’m really sorry. Let me look at it! I can help you!” I said grabbing her hand off of her face. Surprisingly she grasped my hand tightly and tilted her face to the side to let me get a better look. “It’s not going to bruise too badly. We’ll just put some ice on it.” Okay so maybe it was going to bruise, but I didn’t want to freak her out.

She nodded and followed me to the kitchen. I quickly grabbed a plastic sandwich bag and filled it with ice and handed it to her. She groaned as she pressed it against her face.

I mentally prepared myself. Surely, the blonde was going to want to fight me or something right?

“Thanks,” she muttered.

I blinked, not knowing what to say.

She smirked, “I had that one coming for what I did to you the other day. That’s healing pretty well by the way. I actually came to apologize. You didn’t deserve that. That’s not who I am.”

I nodded slowly, not knowing if this was some sort of trick. I wasn’t sure if I could trust someone who scratched the fuck out of my face.

“I’m sorry too, I just honestly thought someone was trying to get into the house,” I said softly.

“Paranoid much?” She grinned, then winced before applying the ice again. “I see Matt isn’t home. If you could give him these papers, I would greatly appreciate it.” She handed me a sealed envelope.

“Yeah for sure,” I nodded. She stood and grabbed her purse.

“Well maybe one day we’ll see each other without trying to beat each other up,” She smiled before walking out.

I was fucking confused. Did that just happen?

Sighing dramatically, I went back to Matt’s office and placed the envelope on his desk.

A few minutes later, the front door swung open again, this time…loudly.

Jimmy and Brian walked in and took a seat in the chairs adjacent to Matt’s desk. They were bickering about something. I tried not to pay much attention and continued cleaning.

“Hi Nat,” Jimmy beamed.

“Hello Jimmy, didn’t you guys leave like an hour ago? Can’t get enough of Matt?” I grinned.

“HE can’t get enough of US,” Brian patted his chest.

“Are you ready for our show tomorrow?” asked Jimmy.

“It’s tomorrow?”

“Um duh? Do you not pay attention?” Brian rolled his eyes.

“Not to you.”

“OHHHHHH! Burn!” Jimmy yelled laughing.

“You’re a punk Natalie,” Brian muttered.

“Why are you guys here?” I questioned.

“Well we want to talk….” Jimmy began.

“About?”

“Matt,” Brian answered. “He’s beginning to like you A LOT.”

“Okayyy….sooo…”

“We want to know your intentions with our dear friend,” Jimmy smiled.

“You- are you guys serious right now?” I asked raising my eyebrows.

“Um yes.” Brian said rolling his eyes. He has such an attitude.

“Well first of all, as of right now…I have no intentions. He’s still married. DUH.” I said giving Brian just as much attitude.

“But that won’t be for long, we must plan for the future!” Jimmy said excitedly.

“You guys, I-“

The front door slammed once again and in walked a very angry Matt. His jaw was tense with anger.

“I expected YOU to be mature Natalie,” He said through his teeth. Oh God, his wife ratted me out. His face was red and his fists clenched tightly.

“It was an accident, I swear!” I pleaded.

“No fuck that, get your shit and leave. I can’t have someone like you living in my house,” and with that he turned around and walked out angrily.

The guys looked at me confused. I fought back tears. He hadn’t even let me explain. What had she told him? She knew I didn’t do it on purpose.

I hurriedly walked out of the office before I started crying.

“Natalie, wait!” Jimmy called out.

I locked myself in my room and packed what I could. I only stopped when I heard arguing downstairs.

“Dude! You know Natalie wouldn’t do that!” Jimmy yelled.

“Do I know that? I mean do we even know her at all?! She hasn’t been here very long!” Matt argued back.

I sighed. This was humiliating. I was getting kicked out and had nowhere to go. My lip quivered, but I wasn’t allowing myself to cry. I was about to head downstairs and I didn’t want any of them to see me cry. After all, they weren’t my friends. I was just a housekeeper here and I needed to remember that. I knew this could happen. I knew it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sooo short chapter but a lot happened. What do ya'll think? What do you guys think Val told Matt?? And now what is Natalie going to do with no place to live?

Feedback is appreciated as always!

Special thanks to:

acid_rain88
Deep.Black
foREVer an Angel
NikkiFoxy8