‹ Prequel: Paris Redux

Lilith/Cain

12 - The Final Masquerade

The cold wind bit into their skin, piercing down to freeze the marrow in their bones, the heavy snow clinging to their limbs like lead. They were too frozen to move, and the snow piled higher on top of them. Ga’vriel was already completely covered. Soon Azrael would be as well.

He had tried clawing his way out, dragging the other vampire upward by the hand, but Ga’vriel was a dead weight that just kept sinking further down.

“I’m so sorry, Ga’vriel,” he sobbed as his strength ebbed away. “I forced you into this and now you’re going to die out here in the cold with me. I only wanted to protect you, but I can’t even do that.”

His body went still and the snow kept on, till he was buried as well. There was no way of knowing how long they were out there. A century or more could have passed underneath that ice without him being able to tell.

He was found purely by accident. The snow broke away, revealing his frozen hand, clutching the air. There was a shout and the snow was rapidly shifted away by several pairs of hands. A vampire wearing a long coat and wide hat stood over him, his eyes amazed and worried. “Is he still alive?”

“Poor lad’s frozen solid. There’s no way to tell, Captain.”

“Bring him back to the ship.”

Wait, no. Not without Ga’vriel. I can’t leave him behind.

But he couldn’t move, he couldn’t cry or shout. More of the snow was cleared away. Where was Ga’vriel’s hand? Had he sunk down to the bottom?

Ga’vriel should be the one rescued, not me. I deserve to die here, not him.

His mind moved sluggishly, as if his very thoughts were freezing.

Ga’vriel has to be the one to go, not me. I have to take him with me.

He could feel Ga’vriel’s influence, somewhere under him. He couldn’t take his brother with him physically, but he could still take a part of him.

The influence leapt up to him, flowing through the same blood they both shared. His body was so small right now, would he be able to contain both influences?

I’ll go to sleep for a bit, then. Ga’vriel deserves to be free, not me. He should be the one to go on. It’s fine if I just die right here.

Back at the ship, they looked over the boy. They’d managed to thaw him out, and wrap him in a blanket. He sat up after a while, the blanket shrouding his face like a hood.

“What’s your name, boy?” Donovan asked, kneeling down next to him.

His eyes were as dark as his hair. There was a brief moment of confusion in them, then they narrowed. He looked down at his hands. “Ga’vriel,” he replied.

“Gabriel? That’s a big name for such a little brat. How’d you end up in the snow covered in blood?”

“I don’t remember.”

xxxXXXxxx

Ga’vriel’s influence didn’t return quickly or easily. Instead it poured into him like sludge, thick with fragments of memories that drifted in it like the debris of a shipwreck.

It also wasn’t without pain either.

Azrael held him firmly in place as he struggled. He gripped Azrael’s arm tightly, his claws digging into skin. He tried to scream, but Azrael’s hand was too tight over his mouth.

He stared at his brother’s face, terrified of what he saw. Eyes gouged out, dry black blood staining his cheeks.

He’d been without his influence for so long, without that integral part that made him a vampire, reattaching it was like trying to fuse a steel rod to his spine.

Azrael’s arm dropped at last as he stumbled backwards. The exertion of his task had left him drained. Angie was behind him in an instant, ready to catch him if he fell, but he recovered his feet.

Ga’vriel trembled against the wall, staring at his hands. Chris put a hand on his shoulder to steady him in case he fell over. “Are you going to be okay?”

He found his voice after a few seconds. “I-I think so.” He turned away from the wall. “Let me try something.” He placed his hand on the wall.

The wall next to them dropped out of the ceiling. Chris moved to the side quickly so as not to be crushed by it. The wall slid back up.

Ga’vriel’s eyes widened again, this time with delight. “I can do it!” He grinned. “I have influence.”

“I can see that. Congratulations.” Chris’ voice was dry. “Now, for everyone that left their scorecards at home.” He gestured briefly to himself. “You two are brothers, right?” He pointed at the two vampires.

Ga’vriel looked back at Azrael. “We’re twins, actually.”

“Really? I couldn’t tell.”

“We can sort everything out once we’re on a plane,” Angie said irritably. “I’m tired of freezing my ass off.”

Her brother turned to her. “Yeah, wouldn’t want to lose any other body parts. You’ll have nothing left.”

Azrael stiffened. He turned to Angie quickly. He reached out towards her, but hesitated again. Angie narrowed her eyes at her brother as she stifled a groan.

“What?” Chris asked indignantly. “Like your boyfriend’s not going to find out you’re short a leg as long as I don’t let the cat out of the bag.”

“I didn’t want to get into this now! Dammit Chris!”

“You lost your leg?” Azrael’s voice was hollow. “Did you get hurt because I was gone? Is this my fault?”

“You’re damn right it is,” Chris interjected. “If you hadn’t-”

“Shut it, Chris!” Angie glared at him and he glared back. She turned her attention back to Gabriel… Azrael. She held up her hands, as if trying to ward off his worries. “It’s my fault for not listening to Professor Barnes. He told me to get out of there with the others.”

“You lost your leg during the fight?” He looked like she’d just shot him in the chest.

Angie wanted to bury her face in her hands. She closed her eyes briefly. “Look, we can talk about this later. We have to get out of here before that thing comes after us again.”

His expression changed as he brought himself under control. He shook his head. “I already told you, I’m not leaving.”

“Look, if you feel you have something to do here, then let’s just get it over with. The four of us stand a better chance than just you by yourself.”

He shook his head again. “You don’t fully understand what’s going on here. I’ll leave this place after I’m done, but not with you.” She stared at him in disbelief. “You shouldn’t have come here.”

She felt her eyes sting, but fought that feeling back. “What are you saying?”

“You came here looking for the one you love, Gabriel. That’s not me. That was just a lie I created when I took my brother’s influence. I deceived everyone with that facade, even myself. That’s not who I am.” He stood up straight. “The person you love doesn’t exist.”

Her mouth was open, but no words came to her. Her fingers curled in the air. “But…” Her breathing quickened as she felt tears on her face. “But…”

Nymph had warned her. Even Lilith had warned her to turn back, not to come to this place. She’d have to give up her most important thing if she did. Her happiness.

She’d shrugged off their warnings, knowing in her heart that her happiness lied with Gabriel. It didn’t matter what she had to give up as long as she got him back.

But her happiness wasn’t here.

Her arms dropped and she bowed her head. “Do whatever you have to.”

Azrael turned away from her, heading for the doorway. He paused briefly when he passed Chris. “Please take care of her.”

Ga’vriel glanced at Chris, then Angie. “It was nice meeting you,” he said with an offhanded wave as he moved to his brother’s side.

“This is such bullshit.”

Angie’s head jerked up, looking at her brother. Chris had one hand balled into a fist as he faced the two vampires. He was practically trembling with anger.

Azrael looked back at him. “What did you say?”

“I said this is bullshit! You don’t expect anyone to buy any of that, do you?”

“I’m only doing what’s best for everyone.”

“And I’m telling you that’s utter crap!” Chris stepped forward menacingly. “Ever since I first met you I knew you were going to be an annoying pain in the ass! The only two things the Gabriel I know does best is be an insufferable prick, and run away! You are pulling a classic Gabriel move right now!” He pushed one gloved finger into Gabriel’s shoulder. “You pretend you’re doing the right thing, but you’re just scared! Evie doesn’t need me to take care of her! She doesn’t need anyone!”

He was practically stabbing Azrael in the shoulder with his pointing. Azrael reached up to shove his hand away but he just moved it to the side while he continued to rant. “What she wants is you! She didn’t come all this way on one leg because she needed to! She just wanted to bring you home!”

Azrael felt his own anger rising up. “How many times do I have to say it? I’m not the one she wants!”

“Why don’t you give her the chance to decide that?!”

Both men turned to Angie, who had her hand in her pocket. Her head was still bowed.

“Are you seriously just going to let him do this? Again?” Chris asked her.

She was surprisingly calm as she pulled her cellphone out of her pocket. The phone was a pseudo-birthday present from Gabriel, though he had really gotten it for her as a way of thanking her for saving his life. Her hands were steady as she turned on the screen and swiped over to her contacts list. A familiar picture greeted her right at the top, she pressed it with her thumb.

Seconds passed and no one spoke a word. The tension in the air stretched thin.

Dimly a pulsing sound was heard. Azrael jumped in surprise, his hands moving automatically to his back pocket. He pulled out his phone. The screen was lit up and it was vibrating.

Chris took the phone from his hands and looked at it. Angie’s contact photo took up half the screen. It wasn’t the usual picture that Chris knew of, which was of Angie eating a hamburger for some reason. Instead it was a candid photo someone had taken of Gabriel and Angie. Gabriel had both arms wrapped around her, holding her close for a kiss. The base of the Eiffel Tower could be seen in the background.

“It’s a shame you lost your eyes,” Chris said bitterly. “Because I see a picture here of two people who love each other very much.” He shoved the phone into Azrael’s chest.

“I just dialed the last number to call me,” Angie explained, her voice rough with emotion. “That’s the only reason I was able to find this place. Someone called me and led me here.” She lifted her head up, looking at Azrael. “Someone who needed me to come and get him.”

“I’ve been lying to you this whole time…”

“But not on purpose. You always made sure not to, right? Even when it hurts, you’ve always been honest to me.” She cleared her throat. “Back in Paris you told me about an ability you had, one that you couldn’t control. You called it your compass because it always pulled you in the direction of the thing you wanted most.” She turned off her phone’s screen and put it back in her pocket. “Tell me which way it’s pointing right now.”

He could feel that tugging even now, pulling him towards the only thing in the whole world he wanted. He walked back over to her, clutching his phone to his chest with both hands. “Can you truly say that you want me as I am now?” he asked her. “Can everything really be forgiven so easily?”

She looked him over, grievous wounds, gray skin, sharp claws, and all. “Honestly, you’ve looked worse. And everything else can be worked out. I at least want the chance to try.”
He reached a hand out to her face, his fingers brushing her cheek. He hesitated again when he felt tears there.

She closed the gap between then, wrapping both arms around his waist. He was startled for a second, but returned her embrace. Gingerly at first, then more tightly.

“That’s it,” she said. “You’re not going to be able to get away from me again. I’ve proven that there’s literally no place you can go where I can’t follow you.”

He pressed his face into the crook of her neck. “Thank you.”

Ga’vriel walked over to Chris. “Is everything going to be okay now?”

“I sure as hell hope so,” he growled. “I wonder sometimes if I’m the only one who has any sense in this party. Come on you two, save the lovey-dovey stuff for after we’ve defeated the final boss.”

Angie gave him an exasperated look around Azrael’s arm. “There’s no such thing as a final boss.”

“We’re never gonna know that if we don’t fight it.”

Angie pulled away from Azrael, but held onto one of his arms, helping him walk over the patches of briar. “I’m still calling you Gabriel,” she informed him. “That’s the name on your Driver’s License.”

“It says Gabriel Statton,” he pointed out. “That’s your last name.”

“Yeah, I know. That’s fine.”