Status: Active

When It All Falls Down

Two

Tony escorted her to his car. He opened the door for her and helped her in. He closed the door then rounded the front. He started the car as he looked over at her. She had let her hair down.

She tousled it then rested her right elbow near the window. Her hand naturally hits her mouth. She remained silent. Tony sighed then looked out the windshield. He eased his way out.

Thirty minutes into the drive, he got tired of the silence. So he turned on the radio. Frank Sinatra's The Way You Look Tonight filled the air. She moved her hand from her mouth then moved it back. She kept her eyes glued to the window.

When he arrived at Rhodey's house, he was surprised at how much it changed. There was now a Navy flag along with the Army flag. There was a sign near the entrance that says "My Niece is a Navy Seal." Tony smiled. He cut off the engine then paused a moment.

She turned to look at him. "Thank you for the ride. You didn't have to," she said softly. He gave her a half smile. "I wanted to. Besides I wanted to ask you if you would mine working with me. I mean if you wanted to."

She slightly remembered her uncle telling her Tony was IRONMAN. "I don't mind...um I'm not much on tinkering. I'm more of testing out stuff. That and computing together stuff." He nodded.

"I'll send a car tomorrow for you. Is eleven good for you?" he asked. She nodded. "So it's settled." He got out then rounded the front to her door. He opened it then helped her out.

He walked her to her door. She reached in where a sash was on her dress and pulled out a small coin purse. She rummaged for the spare house key. She unlocked it. She turned to face him.

"Thank you again, Tony. I'll see you tomorrow," she said. "Goodnight Kathryn." She paused. "Katie." He smiled as he watched her go in.

The next morning she woke up at nine thirty when her cell pinged. Her hand snaked out from under the covers and blindly felt for the cell phone. She felt it then pulled in under the covers.

She popped open one eye to look at it. An unknown number. It was a text message. She opened it to read it. "Wear something comfortable today.

I'll have you test out a suit. Tony." She smiled. She replied back. "How long did it take you to steal James' cell phone? Katie". Five minutes before he responded.

"How did you...never mind don't answer. See you soon. T". She crawled out from under the covers. Her feet hit the ground and she was off. In the bathroom she yelped at her reflection. "I knew I should have washed my face last night," she said to herself.

She took a nice hot shower. She had her hair in a bun on top of her head. About half an hour later she was in the kitchen making a quick breakfast. A sausage cheesy egg biscuit and a a cup of cranberry orange juice. She wore her Navy boot camp issued t-shirt and a pair of dark wash blue jeans.

After she ate, she brushed her teeth and slipped on her black Chucks. Her hair was in a low ponytail. She pocketed her cell phone and house key. She heard a knock on her door. "I'll get it," said James coming down the stairs.

She casually walked towards the front door trying to hide her excitement of getting to work with IRONMAN. Her uncle was surprised to see Happy. "What are you doing here?" Happy saw Katie. "I'm here for her," he said in a matter-of-fact tone.

James looked back to his niece. "Where are you off to?" he asked. "To Tony's." "Care to elaborate Kathryn Marie?" She kissed his cheek.

"No I don't Uncle Rhodey," she said. He frowned. "Don't call me that," he said haughty. "Don't call me Kathryn Marie." Happy led her to the car and held the door open for her.

She thanked him then slid in. He closed the door then rounded the rear before getting into the driver's side. The ride to Tony's was rather quick. They got there and Katie was already out the door. Happy had to hurry after her.

Thankfully Stark was waiting for her. She stopped about a yard away from him. He wore fitted jeans, gray Pumas, a black Iron Maiden shirt, and a headset with what looked like a blue monicle. He smiled at her. "Good morning Katie."

Her eyes met his. Happy finally caught up to her. "You're fast," he said trying to catch his breath. She blinked a few times. She looked over at Happy then back to Tony.

"Every morning at O five hundred, I ran ten miles. Every other morning I did yoga. And Good morning Tony." He gave her a once over then stood back and allowed her inside. He followed her and Happy followed him.

"J.A.R.V.I.S. get Happy a glass of water," Tony said to no one. "Certainly sir," replied a British male voice. Katie must have looked confused. "J.A.R.V.I.S. in my artificial intelligence." A raised eyebrow.

"An extremely smart house," he added. "I know what an AI is Stark. It's just...oh never mind." He smiled. "You'll get used to him.

J.A.R.V.I.S. this is Lieutenant Commander Kathryn Rhodes. James Rhodes' niece. She'll be working with me. Make sure she has access to my house so she can come whenever." "Right away sir."

Happy was given his glass of water. Tony watched her for a minute. "Shall we get started?" he asked. She took a deep breath then let it out. "Lead the way Sensei."