Status: Active

When It All Falls Down

Five

Tony was out of the suit and pacing the floor. "Sir, if you keep pacing back and forth, you will put a hole in the floor." Tony paused a moment. He knew Jarvis was trying to lighten the mood. "Sir, Miss Rhodes' suit is due to arrive in 5...4...3...2..."

At that moment, the ceiling opened and the black suit landed with a loud clang. Tony scrambled to her side. "Jarvis help me get the suit off." The suit began to separate in sections. Tony was pulling off the pieces.

"Katie? Katie, are you are right? Speak to me Kate!" Her eyes were closed. "Katie!" This time he yelled a bit.

"I'm not deaf Tony," she said. Her eyes finally opened. He heaved a sigh of relief. He pulled her into a hug. She wasn't one for hugs, besides James. But having Tony hug her, was comforting.

Her racing heart rate was slowly getting back to normal. "Thank God she's alive. I can't lose her," he thought to himself. After a few minutes he says, "You have some explaining to do." Her facial expression fell.

When he pulls away he sees her face. It's a stoic look but the eyes look ready to kill. "This isn't a 'I'd tell then I'd have to kill you" kind of a thing is it?" Jarvis starts playing Shepherd of Fire.

"Cut it out Jarvis. No need for that. *Sighs* No Tony, it's not a "I'd tell you but then I'd have to kill you" type of thing". She opens her eyes to look at him. "I'm an assassin."

He blinks a couple of times. "You're a what?" "Come on Katie, please tell me that you're joking." He sighs and pinches the bridge of his nose.

"That, I do not joke about. And by the way, you need to change the color of the suit. Or...um...just don't ever bring it out." Tony opens one eyeball. "What did you do?"

She looks away from him. "I took out all four jets. Only one survivor." She whispers the last part. "Come again." She huffs as she repeats herself. "Only one survivor of the casualties."

Tony ran a hand over his face. She bit her bottom lip. He looked her over. "Can I ask how deep your in?" She shrugged her shoulders as she sighed.

"The red in my ledger is somewhere in the middle. I try not to keep complete tabs but that's an estimate." His face fell grim. He just stared at her. Rick Springfield's Jesse's Girl filled the silence.

She gave a half smile. She reached for her cell phone. "Rhodes," she said. She got up and limped a bit out of the shop. "Hey Kitty Kat," said a male voice.

Now she full on smiled. "How are you?" she asked. She heard the smile in his voice. "I'm good. Just seeing how you are doing." She frowned.

"Barton, we haven't talked in over a year. Why call me now?" He knew she would read into it. "I had a gut feeling to call you. And I acted on it.

I know I should have contacted you sooner..." he trailed off. She closed her eyes. He spent his down time with her. The one she came in second, to being a super assassin. "Kate," he said, trying to get her attention.

"Don't," she said softly. "Look, I'm fine. No injuries. Thanks for calling but I've got to go." She ended the call before he got a chance to speak. She pocketed her phone.

She leaned against the wall then slid down to the floor. Her elbows rested on her knees while her head rested in her hands. She took a deep breath. Tony had witnessed it all. He walked out then sat beside her.

He put an arm around her. She sat up then leaned her head on to his shoulder. They sat like that for the longest moment. During that time, she fell asleep. He got up then carried her to the shop.

He placed her on the couch. He went to his drawing board corner. He needed to brainstorm. And swallow the idea of her being an assassin. He wondered what else he didn't know about her.