18 and Life to Go

12: Still Into You

[Juliette's POV]

I sneered as I watched her sidle up to him. How dare she approach my Ph-

Oh. Wait. He wasn't my Phil anymore. He was just... Phil. Nothing more.

I watched as he slowly got interested in the conversation.

I also noticed he was wearing his glasses, and that his light brown roots were beginning to show. How was that possible? Phil hated his glasses, and hated his natural hair colour even more.
He was neglecting the things he used to put so much importance into.

"Juliette," Dan said, poking me in the ribs. "Stop making yourself miserable."

"I can't help it," I sighed as I looked away.

"Then do something about it," Finn stated.

"But what?" I wailed, putting my head down against the table. "I messed up, Finn. I can't fix what I've done..."

"You never know till you try, right?"

"Yeah, but I've seen this before. I'll put so much importance on a person and they'll end up walking away in the end. I'm surprised you guys still tolerate me."

"Are you listening to yourself?" Jack exclaimed. "That's ridiculous! Why would we walk away?"

"I don't know, ask them."

"Well they're idiots," Dan nodded. "And Phil isn't one. Actually, scratch that. You're both freaking idiots. Look at how much the two of you care for each other! Everyone can see it, why can't you guys? Just... Go up to him and apologise."

"I have no reason to apologise," I muttered.

"You're the most confident one out of the two. Juliette, he hates the situation as much as you do. But you know he won't say it. So you be the bigger person."

"What's the point now? He's busy with... Her."

"Alright, stay miserable," Dan sighed. "When you're done brooding, go talk to him."

-----

Needless to say, I didn't go talk to him.

"You should've," Dan sighed when I told him that.

"Yeah, well," I shrugged. "He was busy."

"Yeah, right."

Nancy and Lizzy were sitting at the dining table when Dan and I got home. The dining table itself was a mess: the whole surface was covered in papers.

"Woah, what's going on here?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Well, Lizzy and I were studying," Nancy explained. "And I realised that you guys don't have much time left to fill in your college application forms."

"We know," Dan muttered, sitting down opposite me. "We're constantly reminded of it."

"And? Haven't you started?"

We shook our heads.

"Guys! This is serious."

"But I don't know what I want to do with my life!" we exclaimed in unison.

"Well, what are you guys good at?"

"Being a twat," Dan snorted.

I shrugged. "Art, I guess."

"Seriously though," Dan said, sitting up straighter. "I'm not sure what I want to do. And plus... Don't I need some, like, parental consent or shit like that?"

"Remember what we discussed when you first moved in?" Nancy asked.

"Yeah," he nodded. "Of course."

"Well..." she trailed off, pulling out a paper from the table. "Check this out. It came in today."

Dan's eyes went wide and Lizzy peeked over.

"Proof of residency," she read out. "Legal guardianship... So, Nancy, are you saying you're now Dan's legal guardian?"

She nodded.

I smiled. "Would you check that out!"

"Thank you, Nancy," Dan said, hugging her.

"I don't have all the rights your parents do, Dan," she informed him. "Don't get so happy."

"I don't care," he grinned.

Well, at least one good thing came out of today...