Klaroline

Frustrations

It felt amazing to finally sit down for the first time that day. Caroline was still getting things ready for tonight’s party. She was just doing some final touches. Well, maybe a lot of final touches. If this party wasn’t a success she could guarantee she’d lose her mind.
Mrs. Lockwood entered the small parlor where Caroline rested on the plush couch that smelled of peppermint and bourbon.
“The house looks wonderful, dear. You did a fabulous job” Mrs. Lockwood knew about Caroline being a vampire and she didn’t seem to hide the fact that she was still on the other side of the room. Of course she wasn’t going to come closer, thought Caroline, who would if they really knew? But at least it wasn’t as bad for Caroline as it was for the Salvatore brothers. If ever invited into a room alone with one of them she would suddenly have an errand. Even with her shakiness Mrs. Lockwood was more comfortable around Caroline, most likely because she’d watched her grow up.
“Thanks Mrs. Lockwood” Caroline forced a smile. What she wouldn’t give for a cup of strong coffee. She never really understood how she could be dead and yet so tired.
“Go home and get some rest. The part won’t be for another five hours. And I give you permission to be fashionably late” Mrs. Lockwood nodded trying to provoke a small smile.
Caroline laughed a bit “It takes me that long to get ready’ she rolled her eyes “I’ll just go and grab a cup of coffee and come back. My dress is here anyways”.
She got to her feet and stretched, grabbing her purse and heading out the door taking out her car keys. The day was bright and sunny. She looked down at her ugly ring that protected her from the burning sun rays. Yes it was ugly, but it was hers. She smiled thinking of when Stefan first gave it to her. How she had been so afraid to test it out and Bonnie just pulled back the curtains, freaking the crap out of her. “It works” Bonnie’s voice rang in her head and she sighed remembering. The said thing was it was only a memory. Everything and everyone had changed. It seemed only she stayed remotely the same. Even Matt changed.
Caroline sighed and pulled out of the driveway and put the music on high to try and drain all thoughts besides the lyrics. By the time she finished the last song on her playlist she’d already went through the short line of Tim Horton’s drive through and was cruising aimlessly, not ready to go back to the Lockwood prison just yet.
She reached down to start the CD over again, but just at that moment she saw something in the road. Gasping, she slammed on the breaks trying her best not to swerve her car. She came to a stop right in front of the man that was standing in the middle of the road watching her with amusement.
Her body chilled over and she glared murderously at Klaus. She honked the horn wishing he’d just get out of her way. If he didn’t then she would just gladly run him over. That thought brought a glimmer of a smile to her lips.
Klaus ignored her horn and started to walk toward her side of the car. He gestured for her to roll her window down with that same stupid smirk on his face. Oh, those lips. How much she had wanted to kiss them before, but now all she wanted to do was bust those beautiful lips with her fist.
She rolled her window down grudgingly and nearly exploded “Are you insane?”
Klaus just shrugged “Sometimes” his reply sent a thrill of anger through Caroline’s body.
Grinding her teeth she said icily “If you don’t stop smirking like that I’ll run you over”
“Such violence in someone so little” his accent made it sound more of an insult, and it sent Caroline on the edge.
“Get away from my car” her throat was constricted with anger and made it difficult to talk.
Still smirking Klaus tilted his head to the side and bent down to face her eye to eye “Is that what you want?”
“Yes, I want more than anything to run you over” she revved her engine.
Klaus dangled his arms inside her car and just stared at her, his smirk was gone but she could still see the amusement in his eyes.
“I mean it Klaus. I want you to stay away from me” it was half true and half lie. She wanted him to leave her alone, but she didn’t know if she wanted him out of her life. It was just so complicated.
Klaus didn’t speak for a moment. Then he slowly leaned his face closer to Caroline.
Pushing her head back into the seat Caroline felt her chest tighten. She couldn’t move back any farther, but he continued to inch forward until their lips were inches apart and she was suffocating from his sweet breath fanning across her face.
“I’ll see you at the party, Caroline” the way he said her name made her bottom lip tremble and the longing for him to just tough her hand came out of thin air. Why did he have to do this to her? Klaus pulled his head back instantly and walked away. Now she felt dazed, vulnerable, and more frustrated than before.