Status: Just trying to put words to ideas for now.

Under a Funeral Moon

A Blaze in the Northern Sky

Aurora readjusted herself against the cold fiberglass surface of the white bathtub she had crawled into. The sound of sirens and screams rattled against the frosted glass of the second story restroom she had unsuccessfully sought solitude in.

She didn't want to see Daniel or be witness to the inexplicable chaos happening beyond the stucco walls. Instead, she had broken free out of Daniel's arms and ran up the stairs to lock herself in the bathroom.

She was terrified. Terrified and unable to reach Matt.

"This isn't real." Aurora clicked her phone screen on. "This isn't real," clicked it off.

Daniel had sat outside the bathroom door for about 5 minutes before deciding she was probably safer in there anyway. Aurora knew exactly when he left his sentry post because the shadow from beneath the door crack was no longer there. After which, she immediately had the urge to jump up and run after him -- the proximity had been comforting. But her body was glued to the tub, her arms and legs heavy, and her chest heaved with anxiety, panic, terror, and the overwhelming urge to cry uncontrollably.

The burning man had fallen immobile on the yard, where he remained. The news channel had cut out to a stand-by color blocked screen. And Aurora had been unable to make or receive any calls. She felt utterly helpless. The adrenaline that had spiked and almost had her running recklessly out the door only half an hour earlier had completely dissipated, leaving her exhausted, feeling vulnerable, and with the sensation of absolute uselessness.

She had no idea what the fuck was going on.

What the fuck was going on?

Aurora's eyes slowly drifted up to the window and rested there. She took a deep breath and exhaled, "Okay." Propping herself up by the tub's sides, Aurora stood up and stepped over and out of her cold white cave. She closed the toilet seat lid and stepped on to it, struggling at first to open the small window so she could catch a glimpse of the world outside.

The air escaped her, "Dear god..."

Homes were engulfed in flames. Cars abandoned mid-street. In the distance she could see a woman bent over someone on the sidewalk. Holding them? Perhaps they were injured? Suddenly the woman's head turned sharply and Aurora could see her face was smeared with blood. And the body. The body was mutilated. Fear struck her core and Aurora quickly shut the window and slid down onto the toilet seat.

"This isn't real...Oh my god, this isn't real."
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm back and picking up where I left off!