Sequel: Renegade
Status: Rewritten and Complete

Traitors

Home

Morning comes too quickly as I stretch my arm out next to me and discover the spot where Fierce was last night is now unoccupied. I open my eyes and glance around the room, but he's no where to be found. The sound of running water erupts from the bathroom followed by the spraying of the shower head. I slowly close my eyes in hopes of going back to sleep which quickly fades when I hear muffled whimpers and whispered swears. I sigh rolling out of bed and head toward the bathroom door. I press my ear to the door hearing a loud bang and the shower shutting off. I knock lightly asking if he's okay. The door quickly opens and I tumble forward with it. I glance up at Fierce becoming well aware of the frustration written across his face. He sits down on the edge of the tub resting his head in his hands.

"I just wanted to shower." He mumbles disappointed. I lean on the door frame distracted by the inked designs on his body. "But I can't because it hurts so fuckin' bad!" He motions to his back.

I cautiously walk over and sit next to him. I scan over the wound on his back which is looking better than it was the last time I saw it, but it's obvious it isn't healed yet. I notice there are scratches along his arms as well, but are barely visible. He rubs the nape of his neck before rising and leaving the bathroom. I run my fingers through my hair unsure of how I can help him. I hear him force his dresser drawer open and then he slams it shut. I stay where I am giving him a chance to cool down.

I look upward as he chucks his towel across the room. I hear him kick the side of his bed. I slowly get up and walk out of the bathroom. I stare at him sitting on the floor leaning against the bed with his arms resting on his knees. He doesn't acknowledge me as I sit in front of him, crossing my legs over each other. I reach for his hands, but he moves them away from me. I shoot him a death glare, but he ignores it.

"I get it sucks, Fierce, but you don't need to act like a dick." I hiss. His eyes slowly lock onto mine returning the same look I'm giving him. "I have to go to my actual home today to talk to my brother. If you decide to get over yourself, meet me at The Tunnel." I get up from the floor heading toward the door. I latch onto the doorknob and yank the door shut as I exit. The slamming noise echoes throughout the house.

I march down the hall and notice the worried looks from Mae and Peter who are sitting at the island. I peer over and see Kyra lowering to the floor with her ears back in fear. I realize I still have an irked look on my face. I force a small smile at them, but they don't buy it. Mae gives Peter a kiss before grabbing her bag and keys. I follow her down the stairs and to the garage. I hop into the passenger's seat as she brings the car to life.

The car ride is quiet. I know she wants to ask what all the slamming was about, but she also wants to be polite and not pry. She pulls up to my house and gives me a soft smile. I force open the door and trudge up the walkway to the front door. I slowly unlock the door and slip inside. The house is quiet, but I know they're home. Their cars are in the driveway and on the street. I catch a glimpse of a silhouette in the kitchen, but I know it's not Travis. I drag my feet up the stairs and approach the closed door. I knock softly hoping not to draw too much attention to the fact I'm home. Travis opens his door, looks at me, and attempts to close his door again but I stop it with my arm. I force my way in and close the door behind me.

"What the hell do you want?" He barks keeping his guard up thinking I'm up to something mischievous.

"Look, I know I'm the last person you want to see and frankly I don't want to ask you either, but I need your help with something." I casually say picking up a digital camera and then placing it back down where it was.

"Why would I help you?" He steps back with every step I take toward him.

"Because I know you want to. It's been weeks, Travis. You obviously haven't said anything about me since I'm not dead so part of you believes I'm doing the right thing."

"I haven't told because you're my sister. What you're doing is suicidal and I'm so pissed you would do this to yourself." He throws himself onto his bed. "If I help you, I'm asking to be killed." I sit down next to him realizing he has a point.

"I just need some of your equipment. No one will know I got it from you. I can protect you. I'm on the inside and I would never sell you out." He looks down and shrugs. "Please Travis." I plead, but he shakes his head. I release a heavy sigh. "Okay, but at least promise me you'll think about it."

"Fine." He caves. "I'll think about it." I smile which he returns one to me. "I'm sorry about what happened between us."

"Me too, bud." I kiss the top of his head. "Take care of yourself." I exit his room as silently as possible.

I tiptoe down the stairs hoping wherever my parents are they are too enthralled in what their doing to notice their daughter is home after weeks of being gone. I grip the front doorknob when my father's voice echoes from the kitchen. I glance over my shoulder as he charges toward me wrapping his arms around me in a tight hug. I smile meekly hoping he doesn't get too attached to me being home. He rambles on about his life at work leading me into the kitchen. I freeze in my tracks when my eyes lock onto the most odious man in the world.

"Phoenix, this is my boss, Mayor Nolan Fierce." He smirks at me as I hear my heart pounding through my ears. "He stopped by to pick up some stuff for work. Why don't you sit down and keep him company while I gather the paperwork from my study."

Mayor Fierce extends his arm out to the seat across him and pats it lightly inviting me to sit down. Dad walks out of the room and disappears into his study. I prudently approach him and slip into the seat across from him. He suddenly frowns which is the first time I've seen him not smiling. He studies me before clearing his throat.

"How's my son doing? I hear he's had a terrible accident. Pets are interesting creatures, wouldn't you say? My pet doesn't seem to be tamed yet. I'd have her apologize, but she only understands Russian." I glare at him in disdain, but he just smiles at me. "Do you know any Russian, Miss Detope?"

"A little. My grandparents used to speak it to me." He sighs shaking his head.

"Well that's quite a shame, Phoenix."

"Why is that?" I growl.

"I could've used you as a translator. Too bad you won't be alive much longer seeing as though you're have a hard time leaving my son."

"If you're trying to intimidate me, it's not working. I'm not afraid of you." I hiss.

"That's where your error is, Miss Detope. You should be afraid of me."

His hand disappears inside his blazer and latches onto something inside it. His arm extends out and across the table revealing a gun in his hand. He switches off the safety prepared to shoot me on sight. He keeps his hand still, but aimed directly between my eyes. I stare directly into his eyes challenging him. I see the ghost of a smile on his lips suddenly feeling uneasy and as though he might actually pull the trigger. We're both startled when we hear the door to my dad's study open and we appear as though we were sitting quietly at the table the entire time. Dad walks in with the paperwork and hands it to Mayor Fierce.

"Thank you, Brian. Give my best to Missy and I will see you at work tomorrow." He gets up from the table reaching his hand out to me. "It was a pleasure to meet you, Phoenix." I grip his hand and shake it. He smirks at me with a victorious look in his eyes. I scowl at him as he walks out of the kitchen and out the door.

I rub the nape of my neck still feeling slightly nauseous. I glance at the flowers on the table and notice a small device latched onto one of the stems. Travis. I leave the kitchen and head for the stairs where I find him already waiting for me. He bites his lip handing me a bag full of recording devices. I utter multiple thank you's, but he doesn't acknowledge any of them. He scales the stairs before concealing himself in his room.

I head out the door and walk down the block to the bus stop. Harley pulls up next to me opening the doors to the bus to take me to The Tunnel. He greets me with a smile saying he hasn't seen me in awhile. I plop down into a seat gripping the bag tightly. I guess there was a part of Travis that wanted to help me and believed this was the right thing to do. After all, he watched the whole interaction between me and Mayor Fierce. He knows how awful of a person he is, in fact, a lot of people know he's a bad person, but follow him anyway because they're cowards. They fear death more than him, but after you've faced death a few times you don't really fear it anymore.

Harley lets me off right outside The Tunnel's entrance. I scurry my way inside and through the plant. I return greetings to my fellow rebels as they say hi to me. I walk into Gabe's office, closing the door behind me. I place the equipment onto his desk and let him know our plan is almost in motion. All we need is Fierce to get his shit together to place the cameras and recorders. Gabe smiles leaning back in his chair.

"Nice work, Detope." I smile back at him. "Now, you and I will be his backup. He's going in by himself, but if need be I can go in to help. I know you're good at stealth, but I need you to be in charge of the equipment. You're better at that than me." I sit down in a seat across from him. "Once Fierce comes in, we can talk this over with him and decide when the best time to go in would be." I nod in agreement. "Head on over to the training room then, Detope. Thank you for all your help these past few days."

I leave his office and fall in line with the group heading into the training room. I look over at Lia who ignores me, so I decide to grab Xaron as my partner. He's a shy person, but his fighting skills are impeccable. He doesn't hold back with me and it shows. He drops me to the floor four times in a row. He can tell I'm starting to get frustrated so he lets me get a few punches in. Toward the end of training, I get a few of legitimate hits on him which surprises him immensely. Hunter calls it for the day and Xaron shakes my hand saying I was a good training partner. He tosses me an ice pack for my side which seemed to be his target for the day. I smile at him as I walk over to the bench and gather my things.

Hunter offers me a smile knowing it wasn't my best work today, but I'm not incredibly upset about it. He asks me if I want to work on my leg today, but I decline. I spent way too much on the mat and I'm already not in the greatest shape. I clutch my side as I shift the ice pack up closer to my ribs which are the source of the pain. I drag my feet down the hall to my room. I push open my door and drop my stuff onto the floor surprised the room isn't empty. He rises from the bed with a sorry look on his face.

"Hey." Fierce says softly. I offer him a smile.

"Hey."