Don't Forget

Throw Back Thursday Special

“Aunty Sylvie, Connor’s not sharing his toy!” Mia whined tugging on Aunty Sylvia’s sleeve.

“It’s not just a toy it’s a Game Boy,” Connor shouted, “and I've shared plenty the baby can’t count.”

“I’m not a baby!” Mia shouted. (Mia was five, she was basically a baby.)

“Poor Baby-Mia can’t even talk right, “Connor teased, “Her name is Sylvia, Baby!”

“I’m not a baby!” Mia shrieked. Tears were blurring her vision.

“Aw you gonna cry now?” Connor teased.

“That’s enough, Connor!” Uncle Mark barked from his seat on the couch. Their argument had probably just gotten loud enough to drown out the TV, “Give her the toy.”

“But,” Mark gave Connor a warning look. Connor threw the Game Boy into the living room where it bounced soundlessly on the carpet, “Fetch!” He shouted at Mia in her face. Mia sniffed but didn't cry. She refused to cry. Babies cried and Mia was not a baby(Mia totally was a baby).

“That’s it Mr.!” Aunty Sylvia said taking Connor by the arm, “You go to your room, and if I catch you touching that Sega, I’ll cut your fingers off.”

“But it’s not fair!” Connor shouted.

“Life’s not fair!” Mark shouted.

Connor glared at his father before stopping off to his room and slamming his door. Mia felt bad. She hadn't meant to get Connor in trouble. She just wanted more time with the game. Her parents always bought her dolls, babies, pots, pans, and tea sets to fill her kitchen set. Connor had all the coolest toys though. Transformers, Power Rangers that fit into cool transforming ships, ninja turtles, Hot Wheels cars with ramps as tall as Mia and taller that ran along the border of his room.

The crown jewels of Connor's collection were his video game systems and games. He had a wall with a bookshelf filled ceiling to floor with his video games and movies. On another wall was his TV on a bookshelf. It had a shelf with all his systems, a shelf with all his controllers and video-game storage devices, and the bottom shelf had all Connor's books. These weren't like the picture books Mia had at home. These books had all the superheroes she loved in it. Sure she couldn’t read yet, but the stories were much more interesting she could tell. Connor had forbade her from ever touching his books though. All of these wondrous things were currently with Connor, in his room, on time-out.

Mia waited until Uncle Mark seemed completely captivated by the TV again and Aunty Sylvia was super busy in the kitchen before getting up with the Game Boy and going to Connor's room. She opened the door slowly. Connor glanced up from his comic, “What do you want Cry-Baby?”

“I’m not a baby.” Mia grumbled. When Connor didn't respond Mia dropped the Game Boy with a thump and went to his bed. She crawled up next to him so she could see what he was reading, “Oh that’s Jean Grey!” She pointed at the picture. Jean Grey was levitating over all the other X-Men as they closed in on The Blob.

“What do you know about X-Men?”

“I know a bunch!” Mia announced proudly, “Jean Grey is telepathic and she has telekinesis. That means she can”-

“I know what that means.”

“See I’m not a baby.” Mia said. Her argument was bullet proof.

Connor smiled at her and pat her head, “No I guess you’re not…”

“Can we play hot wheels?”

“I’m reading right now so no.” Connor said.

“OK,” Mia slumped next him. She wasn't a baby, she was a big girl. Mommy said big girls wait patiently and that’s what she would do.

After a few moments Connor let out an exasperated sigh, “OK what color car do you want to be?”

“I want to be the red one this time.” Mia said jumping off of Connor's bed and racing to his cubby-drawer full of cars.

“OK I’ll be the blue one.”

“Is the blue one faster?” Mia asked as she picked her car.

“Color doesn't matter when it comes to speed.” Connor huffed. Mia looked at him questioning. He sighed, “No the blue one isn't faster.” He said finally.

“OK then let’s race, this time I’ll win for sure.” Mia said she climbed up on Connor's bed to place her car. Connor shook his head and put his car on the track beside hers. He didn't need the bed for leverage.

“Ready, Set, Go!”