Don't Forget

"You're Safe Now"

*April 2002 Seattle Wa, Child Protective Services*

John paced in the corridor they had told him to wait in. They told him now that he’d filled out all the paperwork all that was left was to take Mia home with him. He could only remembered a few times before when he was this anxious. The day Mia was born compared. Right now the clinking of the purple cat clock on the wall was more than he could take. The longer it took for them to bring Mia to him the more he imagined all the horrible things they said she had been through. My poor poor baby. He ran his hands over his head as he thought of the last time he’d seen her. She must have been about five years old. He sank into one of the hard blue plastic seats he was supposed to be waiting in.

It wasn't supposed to be like this. He had a plan. He joined the Navy in the tech support division. A section that rarely saw any kind of action other than the occasional computer virus. He married the girl. Mia’s mother, Rosa, was a beautiful wild girl he hoped he could tame, but failed. When things didn't work out with Rosa he still sent them money. Half of what ever he made for little Mia. But it didn't support Mia. According to the authorities Rosa had been using the money to support her drug habit. He had failed to protect his baby girl. John started pacing again. He was considering picking up the chair and throwing it against the nearest wall, but quickly noticed the chair was bolted to the wall. For good reason...

Things were going to be different now. He had no idea how to raise a teen-aged girl or if he even had a right to now, but he knew he had to try. For Mia…Poor Mia…

A door opened down the hall and his caseworker, Mrs. Stevens came out. He hair was long and red and unruly around her head. Her face reminded him of Julianne Moore. She wore an old pale blue blue skirt that had a stain in the corner. It needed some club soda. Her blouse was white though. Caseworkers must not have time for beautification. She smiled at John. John didn't feel he deserved it.

“Come this way, sweetheart.” She said to someone to the side. Mia walked out and the woman put her hands on Mia’s shoulders and pushed her forward.

John held his breath. She looked so much like her mother it hurt. Her eyes were wide and hazel. She had her mother's eyes, but her father's unruly black curly hair that springing spirals all over her head. It needed to be combed, maybe even cut from all the knots. Her eyes looked sunken in as if she hadn't been eating properly. John clenched his fists at his side. Dammit Rosa...what have you done?

“Mr. Price, this is Mia. Mia this is your f-” John held up his hand to stop Mrs. Stevens some what awkward reintroduction. John knelt before Mia. Mia’s expression didn't change as he did.

“You can call me John if you prefer.” He said, “You”- He started then stopped because his voice shook. He started again, “Mia...I failed you...But I promise that it will never happen again. You’re safe now...with me...if you want…” He clenched his jaw shut again.

He was staring at her shoes. They were worn down running shoes. He had to get her new shoes, new everything. This was going to be her new start. Her new life.

“Daddy?” Her voice was small and squeaky, “You came for me? Is it really you?” When he looked up at her he could see she was crying. John swallowed before nodding. He opened his arms cautiously. Mia ran into his arms almost knocking him over, “Daddy...daddy…” She sobbed.

“I’m so sorry baby…” He cooed picking her up. He kissed her cheek, “I’m so sorry…” He looked to Mrs. Stevens. She was crying as well at the happy reunion.

“You can take her home now if you want.” Mrs. Stevens said softly.

John gave Mrs. Stevens a nod. He stood up and scooped Mia into his arms. He thought of when she was born and he held her for the first time. She was too light. The first thing John was going to do was feed her. Mia’s face turned into his chest as he carried her out of the office.
♠ ♠ ♠
I don't know how accurate all this is. If anybody knows the actual process of getting a kid out of the system I'd be happy to edit it to be more truthful.