Don't Forget

"I Said Shut-Up."

*April 2012*

“Mia?” Mia turned from her friend to look up into icy-blue eyes. The man was a head taller than her in a regular grey suit. He looked scruffy with his copper five o’clock shadow that was slightly lighter than his shaggy hair. He needed a good shave and haircut Mia decided, “Oh my God it is you!”

“Do you know him?” Beatrice asked out the side of her mouth obviously not caring if the stranger heard her.

They were standing in line at the supermarket buying ingredients for spaghetti night. Now a Thursday night tradition in a Price household. Beatrice was Mia’s flat-mate, practically her wife since they shared so much with each other. Beatrice was an aspiring writer while Mia was a cosmetologist. This stranger had stumbled upon the wrong couple of girls if he was looking for an easy pick up and lay.

“Apparently he knows me.” Mia replied to Beatrice. She smiled politely at him, “I’m really sorry. I’m shit at names and faces. Did we meet at a show or something?”

“You gotta be kidding me.” He ran his hand over his face exasperatedly and Mia caught a glimpse of green plastic under his sleeve.

“Hey,” Mia pointed, “I think we have the same watch.”

“No shit Sherlock, I gave you yours.”

It was as if he’d punched her in the stomach the way all the air left her. Her mind brought it all back for her. The summer Mia really started living her life by her rules, and the source of her semblance of normalcy.

“Connor Butler?”

“Took you long enough,” Connor rolled his eyes.

“Oh my God,” Mia said, “Connor…”

“Yeah it’s me. Get over here already.” He pulled her into a hug.

Mia really didn’t know what to do with herself. She was shocked Connor Butler… her mind repeated. He let her go.

“Uhm we’re pissing people off.” Beatrice said, “Gimme the card so I can pay.”

Mia handed Beatrice her wallet not wanting to bother with it. Connor Butler?

“What are you doing here?”

“Don’t you remember my internship?”

Oh right...the internship Mia regained her composure finally, “Now I actually work for that company. I’m finally helping produce the comics I want to see made. Mostly I heard cats but I think”-

“Shut-up.” Mia said.

“What?”

“I said shut-up.” Mia said, “I don’t want to talk to you.” Mia turned to walk away and he caught her hand.

“Mia wait”-

“Mia wait, Mia Promise, Mia Believe me, Mia sit, Mia roll over.” Mia snatched her hand out of his grip, “I stopped listening to your brand of bullshit when you left me in that airport. Save it for your other sappy teen-aged girlfriends.”

Conner crossed his arms smirking at her. His reaction pissed her off. As if he knew something she didn’t. She wanted to make him lose his composure but her cutting words only seemed to amuse him.

“Here’s my card.” He flipped it out of his breast pocket.

As always, suave, no matter what he wore or how his hair looked. Mia was seething. She crumpled the card in her hand and threw it at his face. It bounced off his forehead. She turned and stomped out of the super market. Beatrice rushed after her with their shopping cart full of now bagged groceries.

“So that was him, huh?” Beatrice asked as Mia loaded the groceries into the car.

“Yes that’s him.” Mia said slamming the trunk door shut. She tossed the keys and Beatrice caught them out of the air, “No I don’t want to talk about it.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Not so happy coincidence ^_~