‹ Prequel: Glitch

007

Traitor

"Um, the... seasons Inn please" Cassie said as she got into a cab. She leaned her head back and closed her eyes as it started to rain.
A cab drove up to the hotel as Kevin walked out. He walked to the driver, umbrella in hand. Paying the drier he opened the door and woke the one inside. "Your brother told me to watch out for you. And that's exactly what I'm gonna do."
Cassie looked up and Kevin helped her out. "It's raining"
Kevin laughed. "Yup. You look tired"
"You have no idea" She yawned. "Where'd Dean?"
"He's not in the hotel. He's... I don't know" Kevin walked her inside. "Come on. you need to go to bed"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dean slid down against the wall of small out building. It was pouring rain but the building was sheltered. He had already been soaked to the bone and dripping wet. He thought about his sister as his blood dripped down and washed away. The rain hurt at first but the water soon felt good as it washed his wounds clean. He figured that he probably looked pretty frightening covered in blood and sand. Even if it was just his blood. He was glad that is was going away. He felt like one of them now. Which was all to good, but it wasn't bad either. To him, it just felt... unnatural. He heard voices from inside and listened in without paying much attention.
"how should I know? He just said meet us here. You were there" 5 said
"I didn't pay much attention. I was too hungry" 3 said shyly
"Oh come on, do you take nothing serious?" 5 yelled
"Maybe sometimes I do" 3 defended
Dean's eyes widened. He knew those voices. It was them! It was 5 & 3. They were probably here for the whole 'no witnesses thing'. After all, Dean did quit, so now he was a witness. He struggled to get up from loss of blood, knocking over a few things.
"Eh, did you here that?" 5 shut 3 up.
you think it's him?" 3 asked
"He wouldn't be that loud, you block head!" 5 snapped
"neither's IV. He's quieter than a mouse. He don't even speak none" 3 argued
"Shut it!" 5 shouted
Dean groaned and took out his dagger. He wasn't going to go down without a fight.
"Seven?" 5 asked after walking out armed. She relaxed and gave him a look. "What in bloody hell are you doing here? What happened to you?"
"You look like a coon that ran into a hound" 3 said.
"You know what Trey?!" Dean said angrily. He sighed and leaned against the wall. "That's exactly how I feel."
The man laughed and Dean dropped his dagger. It clanked onto the concrete.
"So what did that to you?" 5 asked.
"An EVO" Dean replied.
"EVO?" 3 thought Dean was lying. "I thought they all died or something"
"they got cured you big lug!" 5 corrected.
"Only the ones that wanted to be cured. Which is basically the whole world" Dean shrugged. "But not this guy. Four armed, clawed EVO with no face. You think he'd be easy, but..." He smiled. "Obviously not."
"Well with no face, how can he hit you?" 3 asked. "Ain't he blind?"
5 face palmed.
"He... senses you I guess" Dean shook his head. "I can hear him talk, Rex can here him talk. I guess he uses nanites to speak and fight."
"Rex, that's Six's kid ain't he?" 3 asked
"He's not his kid you moron!" 5 growled
Dean laughed. "Six is Rex's mentor, Trey."
5 looked back at Dean. "So if Rex is an EVO and you could here this faceless one, does that mean you're an EVO too?"
"In the flesh"
"What's you super power?" 3 asked
"It's not super, Trey." Dean replied
"Use you brain instead of your mouth for once!" 5 yelled at 3
"This" Dean said. He vanished from their view.
"Where'd he go?" 3 asked. "Where is he?"
"You bloke," 5 said. "Look at the rain."
Dean might have become invisible but the rain still gave him away. He appeared again, in the same spot. I guess it doesn't work if I'm covered in anything"
"I don't want to sound like a child, but duh" 5 had her guitar over her shoulder. "Can we go inside? It's cold"
"Baby" 3 teased.
"Why are you guys all the way out here?" dean asked
"Dos wouldn't tell us" 5 said as they went inside.
"Said he got something real important to tell us. told IV too but he ain't here yet neither" 3 said
Dean sat down and flopped hi head on the table. "Oh I can't do this anymore."
"Do what? fightin' EVOs?" 3 asked
"Yeah that too" Dean smiled. "I'm leaving that to Rex. However I don't think there'll be much of that going on now"
"So you quitting then?" 5 asked. She was currently on the other side of the room doing something.
Dean thought this subject needed to be carefully tread. "Quit, is a strong word"
"Six quit" 3 stated rather simply
"Just not this early in the game." 5 came back over. "What made you do it?"
"I just..." Dean shook his head slowly. The whole, 'it's not for me' was a lame excuse but he was on thin ice with this one. He didn't like taking lives. It just wasn't...him.
3 interrupted his thoughts "So was da one member your first kill?"
Dean looked up. "Well... yeah. It wasn't exactly on purpose. More in defense. I missed my target cause of him"
"I had to clean that up ya know" five complained. "Thanks a lot"
"Hey it was Cain's fault." Dean said.
"Hunter Cain?" 5 asked. "The one that hunts EVO's?"
"Ya mean he used to" 3 said
"Yeah, him" Rex still kinda hates me for it." Dean frowned
"But that guy's tried to kill him like a million times" 5 argued
"Ya know Rex. Gotta be the good guy. Crazy, but good" Dean looked over as his newly wrapped arm. "Why are you being nice to me"
"I can take it off if you want. Bleed to death for all I care" 5 huffed
3 laughed. "You just now noticed. Boy you is dumb"
"So are you working with Rex and Six now? Fighting stray EVOs?" 5 asked
"Not really, just the whole apocalypse gang" Dean replied
"The what huh gang?" 3 asked
"Rex calls them that. It means the end of the world. They were the same 4 people that ganged on him just before he cured the EVOs. They were after me I guess. Hell might freeze over before I ever know why" Dean shrugged
"same goes for us knowing why Dos brought us here" 5 said.
"He's always playin' secrets like that" 3 said. "I don't even think IV knows. But he ain't here yet so he might"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Six had begun to figure out why Dos trained Dean to be Seven. He remembered back when One was still around. When he brought Rex to cure One after Six's mentor went EVO, Dos was always the first one to bring up a permanent end to their teacher. The others just agreed like they were used to. 4 brought it up too. The traitors.
Six took shelter from the rain. Dos wasn't far and heading his way. Six heard 2 sets of foot prints and figured that the other must be 4.
As they came closer, Six stepped out.
"Six," Dos said. "What a surprise"
"Why are you here?" 4 asked.
"It was a providence mission. But now, it personal"
Six brought out his katanas and attacked. Dos immediately defended with his staff and 4 joined in, wrapping Six's arm with his bandages and yanking it away, opening the agent for an attack. Dos used the opportunity but Six defended and with lightning fast reflexes, he cut 4's cloth. "I know what you've been planning Dos. The new member, Seven. It couldn't be more obvious" He block against Dos' attack.
"Who else would lead us?" Dos asked.
"Besides," 4 said. "I'm warming up to the kid" He wrapped his bandages around Six's throat but the agent cut himself free and kicked 4 away. Six ran to Dos and the man caught him by surprise with a burst of gas. Six tumbled back coughing and 4 struck him down. The rain washed most of the gas away but Six was still dazed. Dos was above him ready to strike but the agent gained clarity just in time and tripped Dos, making the assassin plop into puddle and his staff to spin off.
4 came up from behind but Six easily cut through the bandages. 4 tried to kick Six but the agent dodged. However this left him open for Dos's attack. Six yelled and went down hard. The two mercenaries surrounded him and lightning thundered above, making the scene even more daunting.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"DEAN! Cassie yelled. "DEAN! Help me, please!" She was lost, in the dark surrounded.
"You'll never save her Seven, you're one of us now"
"Forget her, Seven. Seven, Seven!"
"Seven!" 5 hit him. "Are you listening to me?"
Seven looked over breaking away from his daydream. He was tired and must of spaced out. "Sorry, what?"
5 signed. "Oh never mind. I'm not saying it twice!"
"Oh no ya'll didn't" 3 said. "Five hates been ignored"
"I wasn't ignoring her... you" Dean turned to Five.
5 wasn't listening. "He's late, Dos is never late"
Dean growled. "Oh maybe he and IV ran into Six and they're chatting it up over tea. Who cares?"
3 laughed so hard he almost fell over.
"What is up with you?" 5 asked. "Is this because you got your butt handed to you by and EVO?"
Dean shook put his hand on the bridge of his nose and shook his head. "Ya know? Maybe it is? Or maybe it's because I can't sleep."
"Da first kill's always da hardest. But I didn't lose no sleep." 3 said
"One more word out of you..." 5 threatened. She turned back to Dean. "You really want to quit don't you? Why is that?"
Dean glanced over at her. "I can't be as easy going about this as you can." He turned his head away. "I can't just blow it off. But I have to stay. I have no choice"
"And why is that?" 5 asked all snarky.
"The whole, no witnesses thing. I'd like to live, wouldn't you?"
3 actually fell over laughing this time. "Boy, you is just so dumb!"
"It doesn't apply to us, love." 5 said "Why would kill you after going through all that work to get you here? What kind of blokes do you take us for?"
Dean opened his mouth then close it, realizing anything he said would make him even more like an idiot. So he just 'face tabled'. After a bit, he sighed. "So you guys don't have any idea why he wanted to meet?"
"No in the slightest." 5 said.
"It was something about you" 3 said.
"He said that it had to do with One as well..." 5 added.
"Hmm..." Dean thought. "I can't even think clearly so, I can't make any connections."
"Maybe he thought you was ready to be one of us for good" 3 pondered
"Yeah, maybe but... like I said" Dean frowned
"Yeah we know" 5 said. "You chickened out"
Dean groaned and let his head fall back onto the table. Just what he needed. Being called a coward by these guys.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You dishonor his name!" Six yelled. He had gotten out of his situation and was continuing to attack Dos and 4. Bleeding, but still alive, Six struck Dos down, only to be caught by IV once again. Hitting the guy in the face, Six broke free and dueled the other again. Dos used his staff like a sword and blocked almost every hit Six threw at him. "I'm only taking his role!" Dos shouted. "I'm not replacing him!"
"You were always the first to offer the 'other solution' when Rex wasn't able to cure One." Six said. He grunted as he was brought down by 4's bandages again. But this time, Six didn't hold anything back and took off one of 4's hands, and knocked him out.
He turned quickly just before Dos was about to attack and kicked the man into the wall. Before Dos could recover, Six had him trapped with his katana to Dos's throat. "You're a traitor, Dos. A disgrace to this team!"
Dos breathed hard. "You are weak, Six. You show mercy when there should be none!"
"that was always your problem." Six said. "No mercy." He released Dos but didn't let him go. With a swift hit, Dos was out cold.
"So Dos was trying to replace One?" 5 was shocked.
"I can't believe IV was in it too" 3 pouted.
"It would explain why he brought on Seven" Six said.
Dean sighed. Now Six was calling him Seven.
5 clenched her fists. "That traitor."
"I'll leave them to you two" Six said. "I already got more involved than I wanted"
"Oh, did you know that he wants to quit?" 3 asked pointing the Dean.
Dean went wide-eyed. "Dude!"
Six looked over. "It's your choice."
"Oh, ok" Dean. "Thanks"
Six called to Providence to pick him up then turned to 3 & 5. "you two should go before they get here"
"We's already gettin." 3 said.
Six nodded and headed outside. Dean followed to get a little more clarification about what he should do.
"Nice kid" 3 said. "Too soft"
5 just shook her head in annoyance. Both looked up when they heard Dean shout Six's name. Dean had shoved Six out of the way and been hit with something explosive. The rain cleared the smoke almost instantly an Dean was still standing.
"How'd he do that?" 3 asked. "He's dead"
"The things that come out of your mouth, Trey" 5 grumbled and they ran out. "What was that?" 5 asked in surprise.
Dean groaned. "That guy. I really hate that guy"
No Face stood, looking down at his foe. "Do you really think two more people will really help you chances boy?"
Six rose to his feet. "No Face."
"I get it!" 3 said. "Cause he's got no face!" He laughed and Dean face palmed. "Idiot"
No Face came down and stood a few feet from them. "You have your friends, I have mine" Behind him came Knockout, armed with his nanite blocker and his dagger. "I'm ready for some fun!"