Angels and Demons

The Beast Inside

Ruby yawned and laid her head on Shane’s shoulder. At 12 years old, Ruby’s forms were fully grown. Her senses were as heightened as they could get, and she was an expert at her changes. She could choose what breed she wants, control the instincts of the animals she became and she even had sharpened canines as a human. Her changes went from choppy, slow and uncomfortable, to smooth, quick and painless. She could also speak to Shane telepathically when she was as an animal.
"Hey vampire," Shane teased. "Don’t bite me next time" Shane was now 18 years old. He had a girlfriend and a house of his own. His girlfriend, Debbie, was coming over so Ruby had to find something to do. Debbie didn't like Ruby. She was a city girl; pampered, spoiled and so not used to the rough world of the bayou. She found Ruby annoying and naive. The only reason she liked Shane was because of his charm. Everything else, she found... Rough and unattractive. In any sense, she was a flirt. Shane was stricken by her, so he never noticed.
Ruby grumbled and became a cat. Since the parents were out on a date, she didn't have to worry about using her abilities. Neither parent really liked their kids having abilities but they tolerated it. Danny was a bit more supportive than Bethany.

"Shane! Darling!" Debbie came in. "oh the glory of being inside. How's are you doing?"
"I’m great. How about you" Shane smiled.
Ruby watched and stuck out her tongue. "Priss"
"how do you survive here?" Debbie asked. She took a book and fanned herself. "it's so wet and hot down here"
"it's hot in New Orleans too ya know" Shane said.
"Oh not like down here"
Shane rolled his eyes. "I’m used to it."
Ruby mocked Debbie in the shadows. She once came up, as a cat and scared the tar out of the woman. Shane started to laugh and Debbie threw a fit and left.
"Ya know, she really is a turd" Ruby said as she changed human again. "I don't like her"
"oh but ain't she gorgeous" Shane breathed.
Ruby scuffed. "Yeah ok. She's a player. And you ain't. You just a flirt"
"um shouldn't it be the other way around?" Shane asked.
Ruby blew a raspberry. "Who cares" she sighed and took her spot next to Shane on the couch. "Bet ya 10 bucks I could still pin ya"
Shane twisted around and looked at her. "Oh you're on"
he took off his shirt and ran outside. Ruby followed, becoming an Australian Cattle Dog. Then leaped up and became a falcon, meeting Shane in the air.
"Bet ya can't out fly me though" she teased. Of course, Shane was a much faster flyer and totally showed off. They reached the river and hovered for a bit.
"You jerk" Ruby called out. "Didn’t realize you were such a show off" she landed and became an Australian Cattle Dog again. Shane did a flip, landing, and got clobbered by his sister. He fell with a grunt and Ruby’s nose came inches away from his.
"Pinned ya" she teased, using her telepathy.
Shane stared up at his sister, and pouted. "Ya took me by surprise." his smiled and his eyes drifted from the dog's nose to her ear. The scar from the bullet wound left a perfect circle through Ruby’s right ear. "Cheater" Shane teased.
Ruby laughed and bounded off, running towards the river. "Hey angel! Watching this?"
"Watching.... Yes. Why? No idea." Shane rolled his eyes. What new trick does his sister have now?
Ruby leaped up, became a falcon to rise above the trees then in mid-air she became human and free fell.
"Ruby! What are you doing!? Are you insane?" Shane called. He was just about to rescue her when she became a dolphin and dived into the water. She popped up and chirped at the angel, as if to laugh.
"Don’t do that!" Shane scolded. "You scared the feathers outta me!"
Ruby’s smile faded as she became human and swam to shore. "Well, I thought it was cool. I...I’m sorry angel. I didn't mean to scare you"
"just don't do that again ok?" Shane set his face in his hands.
"Sorry" Ruby let her head fall. "Wanna head home before mama comes looking for us?"
"Good idea" Shane said. "c'mon" they flew off for home but when they got there, their parents were gone.
Shane face palmed. "Duh! Tis date night for 'em"
"It's Saturday already?" Ruby asked. "Geez"
"well ya." Shane said. "When ya do school as fast as I do, ya lose track of time" both Ruby and Shane took online school so they could help their mom and dad more. "Shane was already done, but took one or two college courses and Ruby was 1/2 way through high school. Liker her brother, the girl got her work done by the middle of the week.
"So uh, now what?" Ruby asked.
"I could invite Debbie over" Shane suggested.
"Hell no" Ruby shot quickly. "No, no, no"
Shane tilted his head, shrugged and raised his arms. "Why?"
Ruby’s started at him, quite emotionless and the corner of her mouth twitched.
"Aw, come on Ruby Jo. Don't give me that look"
"Shane there's a space between the Ruby and the Gail. Get it right."
They both heard a slam against the house and Shane’s wings immediately turned silver. Ruby growled but stopped and started coughing.
"Ruby..." Shane whispered.
"I... Can't..." Ruby dropped to her knees. "B...bre... Breath" she coughed again. "Shane!"
A face appeared in the window and Shane froze in his tracks. The figure was male, dark and had an evil, demonic grin. His eyes were glowing red and Shane felt a terrifying, evil presence fill the room. It became freezing cold and Shane was afraid to look away.
The face disappeared and Shane finally got the courage to throw a feather at the window. Being silver at the time, the feathers were like daggers and could withstand attacks. The widow shattered but the figure has vanished.
"R...Ruby," Shane stuttered, he was still shaken by the sighting. "D... D, D, did you see da demon?"
Shane tensed his shoulders as he heard a deep demonic voice. "Fallen angel" he turned and stumbled backwards as he saw a being with black, soul-less eyes. It looked like a woman mixed with a decayed canine. Blood dripped out of her mouth and she twisted and bent unnaturally. Her spine protruded out of her back and her skin ripped apart as her bones met the air. The creature dropped onto all fours and its skin became so thin that its ribs could be seen in detail. It was like they were covered by nothing but rusty plastic wrap. Its entire body became slightly transparent. The meat was showing through as the creature finished is revolting transformation. It had the basic form of a canine but it was monstrous. Its intestines dangled out in the open from broken ribs.
Shane lost it before he could take in the beast. He grogged all over the floor and went limp. The creature snarled at him and the boy got an unhealthy look at the animal's rotten, misshapen teeth. It pinned him down but Shane’s silver wings wrapped around him, protecting him from the creature's grasp.
Shane awakened to a scene in a horror movie. Ashes covered the ground, some still smoldered. He looked to his left and widened his eyes. He screamed and scrambled away from the remains of his father. He stared in disbelief and trembled. Something shuffled behind him and he turned in a flash. The demon creature was sniffing around for more to kill. Beside its feet was the body of Ruby's mother. Shane expected Ruby to be lifeless as well but he never expected to get the shock of his life.
The demon looked towards him and he ducked behind a pile of coals. It ignored him and sighed. Shane peered from the ashes and saw the creature painfully turn back into a form that Shane loved. The creature, was his little sister. Ruby Jo.