Status: Finally Complete!

Falling Is Like This

Chapter Eighteen

Loki looked up from the stone in the wall he'd been starting at. In walked Jormik and two other guards.

"Cuff him." Jormik said. Loki stood and looked at him defiantly. "Don't you try anything. Prince or not, I'll take you down."

Loki took a step closer until he was nearly touching him with his chest. With a quick jerk, he brought his wrists together in Jormik's face.

Jormik glanced at the other two guards and nodded.

Loki said nothing as they clamped shackles around his ankles and wrists, and finally, around his neck. "Well it seems someone is finally taking me seriously around here."

"Quiet. Or I'll bring out the muzzle." Jormik snapped.

Loki narrowed his eyes but kept quiet as the guards led him out of his cell each holding a chain attached to his wrists.

The walk to the throne room was a short one, but it was not without the whispers and stares from citizens who walked the halls.

Refusing to acknowledge them, Loki kept his head held high, even smiling at some of them.

The throne room was nearly empty, save for a handful of guards and his father who stoically sat atop the golden throne.

As he passed the last column before the dais, a hand reached out and gently touched his arm.

"Loki-" Queen Frigga said quietly.

He turned to her and smiled. "Hello again mother. Have I made you proud?" He asked.

She looked up at him, her eyes pleading. "Please, don't make this worse." She said.

He looked down at his chains and then at her. "Define worse."

"Enough!" Odin bellowed. "I will speak to the prisoner alone."

Frigga wrapped her shaw tightly around her arms and with a final glance at Loki, she retreated from the throne room.

Loki walked forward and laughed. "I really don’t see what all the fuss is about."

Odin was not amused. "Do you not truly feel the gravity of your crimes? Where ever you go there is war, ruin and death." He said calmly.

Loki looked up at him. "I went down down to Midgard to rule the people of Earth as a benevolent God. Just like you."

"We are not Gods. We are born, we live, we die. Just as humans do."

"Give or take 5,000 years." Loki chided.

Odin narrowed his good eye. "All this because Loki desired a throne."

"It is my birthright!" Loki proclaimed angrily.

"Your birthright was to die!" Odin yelled. "As a child. Cast out onto a frozen rock. If I had not taken you in you would not be here now to hate me." Odin shouted.

"If I’m for the axe then for Mercy’s sake, just swing it. It’s not that I don’t love our little talks it’s just… I don’t love them." Loki replied dryly.

"Frigga is the only reason you’re still alive, and you’ll never see her again. As for Seren, your actions have directly affected her, putting her life in danger. As soon as she is deemed fit, I will order her memories erased-"

"NO! YOU CAN'T-" The guards closed in him, prepared to subdue him. Odin held his hand up and continued speaking.

"I cannot return her to Midgard as I'm certain they will try to hunt her down to get to you and it isn't fair for her to be punished for your crimes. She will remain here on Asgard as if she were of our blood, but she will not know you." At this remark, Loki's mouth fell open. He hadn't been expecting that. "You’ll spend the rest of your days in the dungeon."

"Why would you make her suffer to punish me?" Loki asked, bewildered.

"You've made her suffer, I am merely repairing the damage." Odin replied.

"And what of Thor? You’ll make that witless oaf King while I rot in chains?"

"Thor must strive to undo the damage you have done. He’ll bring order to the nine realms and then, yes, he will be King."

At that, Odin nodded and the guards began to pull Loki away.

Loki could think of nothing except Seren. His breathing became erratic and he tried to think of some way to get to her. When they rounded the corner, headed for the dungeons, he caught a glimpse of her walking with Eir.

He immediately hit the guards to his left with his shoulder and yanked his right arm free. Chains dragging behind him, he ran towards the two women as the guards chased him.

"Seren! You have to get out of here!" He yelled. Before he could say more, he was tackled to the ground by the three guards. One pinned his face to the cold marble floor as the other two gained control of the chains again.

When Loki looked up, Seren was starting at him. Eir stood behind her watching the commotion. To his relief, there was a look of worry oin her eyes, but she didn't acknowledge him.

"Odin is going to erase your memories! You have to leave!" He cried.

"Be quiet!" Jormik snapped.

"He's erasing your memories of us! You'll never remember me!"

"SHUT UP!" Jormik punched him in the face.

"Stop it! Don't hurt him!" Seren cried, taking a step forward.

The guards pulled Loki to his feet. Seren took a step forward but Eir placed a hand on her arm and shook her head slightly. Seren looked back at Loki, her brow furrowed.

"I'm sorry. For everything, Seren. But please don't let him do this to you." He pleaded.

Seren opened her mouth to respond but couldn't find the words. She shook her head. "Loki...I...I'm sorry."

Loki stared at her in heartbroken disbelief.

"Come on you!" Jormik grumbled. The guards forced Loki down to the dungeons where he would await transport to the prison.

OoOoOo

"Erase her memories?!" Frigga exclaimed.

Odin sat back in his chair in their chambers and sighed.

"How could you even think that was acceptable?" She asked, wrapping her robe around her tightly.

"The boy must learn to accept responsibility for his wrong doings." He replied. "I'm doing the girl a justice, really."

"I am silent on most things when it comes to your rule, but this is not punishment, it is cruelty." She said.

"Would you rather I had put him to death? It is the sentence that anyone else would have received for the same crime."

Frigga turned to stare out at the palace gardens from the balcony. "You know I wouldn't. But Seren may be the one thing that is keeping him tied to sanity."

Odin pushed back his chair and made his way over to stand behind her. "If I recall correctly, you once told Loki there was a reason for everything I do. I hope you still believe this." He said, wrapping his arms around her.

Frigga leaned her back against him and patted his hand, but said nothing.

There was a knock on the chamber door.

"Enter." Odin said loudly.

A guard entered and knelt down before them, crossing his fist over his chest. "I'm sorry to disturb you my leige, the Midgardian girl has been demanding to speak to you. I can have her sent away-"

"That won't be necessary. Send her in." Odin replied, helping Frigga descend the balcony stairs.

A moment later, Seren was escorted in by two guards. She still bore the bruises from her injuries, but color had returned to her cheeks. She was wearing a rose and gold colored gown that Frigga had had made for her and her dark hair was pulled into a braid that hung over her shoulder.

Frigga walked to her and embraced her. "You look so much better my dear. Are you feeling well?"

Seren gave the queen a weak smile. "I am, thank you."

"What troubles you?" Frigga asked.

"Loki. I was wondering if I could speak with you both about him?" She replied.

Odin held his hand out, and she took it, allowing him to lead her into the sitting room. "Would you like something to drink?" He asked.

Seren nodded. "Yes, please."

Frigga poured three glasses of wine and handed her one before taking her seat next to Odin.

"Now, what is it that you would like to discuss?" Odin asked.

Seren twirled the wine glass in her hands. "Loki said you plan to erase my memories. Is this true?"

"Yes." Odin answered.

"Can I ask why? I...I don't understand how this is punishing anyone but me and I haven't done anything wrong." She said quickly.

Frigga looked at Odin in an 'I told you so' fashion, but Odin did not acknowledge her. "Loki needs to know what his actions could bring."

"They weren't his actions! I think someone was controlling Loki." She blurted out.

"And what evidence do you have of this?" Odin asked.

"His eyes naturally were always green, at least add long as I've known him. When he took me from my home, I could tell something was wrong with him. His eyes were blue, and he looked sick."

"Describe his appearance, please." Frigga said.

Seren swallowed hard. "He was pale, his skin had an almost gray appearance. His eyes were bloodshot and he had black circles under them. And he always seemed to be breaking out into a cold sweat." She felt her face warm up. "When he touched me, his hands were clammy."

"My dear, this only proves that he was unwell, not being controlled." Odin replied.

"When he used his scepter on me, I was made to do things against my will. To stand by idle as he tried to kill people. My mind was screaming but my body was submissive. And the voices...were horrible. The one speaking repeated over and over how I would help cleanse the world for Loki, and how Loki would cleanse the universe for Thanos."

"Thanos?" Odin asked, sitting up straight.

Seren nodded. "I tried to ask Loki who he was, but Loki couldn't, or wouldn't tell me. He seemed afraid when I mentioned him."

Odin pondered on her words for a moment. "Thank you, for bringing this information to me. I can see that you still care for Loki. Go and rest. I've had my servants prepare Loki's old chambers for you."

"Does this mean you will let him go?" Seren asked. "Can I see him? I don't want the last words he heard from me to be words of anger."

Odin gave her a regretful smile. "It is just not that simple, I'm afraid. But fear not. All will right itself eventually."

Seren frowned. "I'm only afraid that I won't be around by the time it does."

"Don't think like that my dear." Frigga stood. "Come, you need your rest."

Seren stood, setting her untouched wine glass on the small table. "Thank you both for seeing me this late."

Odin smiled and nodded as Frigga escorted her out.

OoOoOo

Seren followed the queen as she made her way down the dimly lit hallways. "This isn't the way to the bedroom.."

Frigga smiled over her shoulder. "I know."

They turned and made their way down the stairwell, leading to a cool damp passageway.

"Where are we going?"

"Put this on. It will hide you." She handed Seren a green cloak.

"Hide me from who?"

"While I trust my husband, I understand the dealings of the heart..." Frigga answered. She pushed against a stone and the wall rumbled, rolling back to reveal a hidden passageway. She took Seren by the hand and led her through.

"And I understand these dealings must be dealt with for healing to begin."

"I don't understand." Seren said.

Frigga pushed another door open and Seren found herself face to face with Loki. She turned to face the Queen, stunned.

Frigga smiled. "The room is charmed so that the occupant can see out but others cannot see inside unless the occupant wishes it." And she disappeared into the darkness, leaving the two of them alone in his very transparent cell.

Loki sat on the edge of his bed, a book hanging limply in his hand.

"So they got you a room, did they?"

Seren looked down at her feet. "It's your room..."

"Are you alright?" He asked cautiously.

"I could ask you the same." She replied, looking up.

"I've been better. You do know who I am, do you not?" He asked, standing up.

"You're still the boy who saved me from from drowning."

"The day you fell from the sky." He walked closer to her, stopping just before her. He reached up and brushed a stray wisp of hair from her face. "Like an angel you were..." He whispered.

Seren looked up at him. "Loki-" her words died on her lips as he nuzzled her cheek with his nose, breathing in her scent. She pressed her hands to his chest to steady herself.

She felt his hands on her hips and sighed. "Oh to hell with it..." She breathed. She gripped his shirt and stood on her tip toes, pressing her lips to his.

He returned the kiss with equal fervor, weaving his hand through her hair and pulling it from its braid.

"No more tricks Loki." She whispered. "Don't ever do that shit to me again."

He nodded. "You have my word."

She punched his arm. "I mean it!"

He laughed and she yelped as he pulled her down onto the bed.

OoOoOo

The two lay wrapped in each other's arms some time later. Seren pressed her ear against his chest, fighting sleep.

"Loki..."

"Hmm?" He grunted, his eyes closed.

"I'm sorry..." She whispered.

"Don't. I deserved worse than that." He replied, wrapping his arms tightly around her.

"Can't we just run away?" She asked.

Loki chuckled. "I'm hated by all the nine, we'd have better luck staying here."

"I'm serious Loki. I want this, all of it." She said.

He lifted his head and looked down at her. "You want what? Us locked in a prison cell, having sex?"

Seren pinched his nipple, causing him to yell. "Are you quite mad?!" He asked, rubbing his injured nipple.

"I told you I was being serious." She said.

"I know you are, but I couldn't put you through that." He said.

She folded her hands over his chest and rested her chin on them. "I want to."

"Seren, a life on the run isn't living. I want more than that for you."

"Well that's seems to be the only option for us, doesn't it?" She sat up and began to dress. "I'll be dust in the wind by the time you get out."

Loki sat up. "Where are you going?" He asked.

"I can't sleep here, they'll come looking for me. And I don't want to get your mother in trouble." She replied.

"Don't leave angry." He pressed his lips to her shoulder.

She looked down at him. "I'm not angry. I just want us to be happy." She kissed him and stood, tying the cloak around her neck.

"I love you." He said.

She smiled. "I love you too. I'll come back as soon as I can without making them suspicious." She lifted the hood of the cloak over her head and disappeared behind the wall.

OoOoOo

A few weeks passed and Seren was slowly staring to get into a normal routine. Her time was divided between assisting Eir in the healing rooms, learning the ways of Asgardians with the Queen, and nightly visits to Loki's cell.

One particular morning, Seren sat in the healing room grinding herbs when a loud commotion broke her concentration. She stood, wiping her hands on her apron and walked out with the other apprentices.

"What's going on?" She asked.

One of the maids glanced at her. "Prince Thor has returned! The nine realms are at peace!"

Seren smiled and immediately took off in the direction of the throne room.

OoOoOo

Seren pushed the door to the throne room open. Odin stood speaking with Thor and his friends. Asgardian civilians watched with smiles a the warriors spoke of their adventure.

"Thor!!" Seren gathered her skirts in her hand and ran to him, ignoring the whispers and disapproving looks she received from the people.

Thor smiled and lifted her off her feet in a crushing embrace. "Seren!" He set her down and looked her over. "You look much better than the last time I saw you."

She smiled. "I bet I do."

"You should go wash up. Father is holding a feast tonight." He said.

"I'll be there."

He smiled. "Excellent."

OoOoOo

The Volstagg, Fandral, and Sif had been fighting for several hours. Seren leaned against the fence watching the warriors spar. She burst out laughing as Sif flipped Fandral on his back.

"Are you enjoying yourself?" Fandral asked.

"Amazingly enough, I am. Sif, could you do that again?" Seren asked.

Sif smiled. "Any other requests?" She clasped Fandral's forearm and pulled him to his feet.

Seren winked at Sif. "I'm going to get some water, do any of you want some?"

Volstagg leaned on his giant axe. "I'll have some my lady!"

"You see Sif? That is how a lady should behave." Fandral said. He ducked quickly as Sif swung her staff at his head.

Seren shook her head and walked to the giant container of water that sat under the balcony. She poured herself a cup and leaned against the wall, basking in the coolness of the shade.

OoOoOo

Thor and Odin stood on the balcony, watching as the warriors practiced fighting.

"Is Vanaheim secure?" Odin asked.

Thor gripped the banister. "As are Nornheim and Ria. But our work would have gone more quickly with you at the fore."

Odin smiled, keeping his gaze on the fighting below. "You must think I’m a peice of bread, that needs to be buttered so heavily."

Thor smiled. "That was not my intent."

"For the first time since the Bifrost was destroyed, the Nine Realms are at peace. We are well reminded of our strength and you have earned their respect and my gratitude."

Thor bowed his head slightly. "Thank you."

"Nothing out of order except your confused and distracted heart." Odin added.

Thor sighed. "This isn't about Jane Foster, father."

"Humans lives are fleeting. They’re nothing. It's time we focus on Asgardian lives. Asgard isn't meant for mortals anymore than Midgard is meant for you. I don't understand what your brother was thinking trying to take them over. You’ll be better served by what lies in front of you." Odin gestured towards Sif, who glanced up at them as if on cue. "I’m telling you this not at the Allfather, but as your Father. You are ready. The time has come to take the Throne. Embrace it and celebrate what you have won. Join your warriors, eat and drink. Revel in their celebration. At least pretend to enjoy yourself."

OoOoOo

Seren felt the drink in her mouth go sour. She'd heard everything Odin had said. She set the cup down and turned to enter the castle.

"Lady Seren! Are you leaving?" Volstagg asked.

She turned and forced a smile. "I'm going to see Eir. I'm not feeling very good."

"Would you like me to escort you?" He asked.

Seren patted his arm. "No thank you Volstagg. I'll be alright. I'll see you tonight?"

Volstagg smiled brightly. "Only if you promise me a dance."

"I wouldn't miss it for the world!" She replied, entering the castle. Once inside, she immediately made for her room. She entered her room, grabbed her cloak trying it quickly around her neck, and set of in the direction of the dungeon.

OoOoOo

Loki stood watching as a slew of vagrant creatures was herded into the dungeons. 'Thor must be back.' He thought sourly.

He turned as the opening of the secret door snapped him out of his thoughts. Seren entered, looking distraught.

Loki immediately cast a glamour so anyone looking in would only see him reading a book, sitting against the large plate window. "What is it?"

She hugged him tightly. "Maybe I'm overreacting, but I overheard your-Odin talking to Thor. He's not very fond of humans, is he?"

He smirked. "He is the king of a superior race, he may be a bit biased."

"He said human lives are nothing!" She replied, looking up at him.

He brushed her hair out of her face and kissed her forehead. "Don't worry about what that man thinks. I love you and I know you aren't nothing...as a matter of fact," he lifted her into his arms. "You are everything. To me anyways."

She smiled as he laid her down on the bed. "Yea, but you're biased."

Some time later, Seren laced up her gown, smiling as Loki kissed the back of her neck.

"You'll come back tomorrow?" He asked.

"Don't I always?" She replied, turning to him.

He leaned back on his elbows. "I love you."

She leaned down and kissed him. "I love you too. I'll see you tomorrow."

OoOoOo

Seren smiled to herself as she stepped out of the castle. The sun had set and a mild chill was in the air. She should have been exhausted, but instead she felt invigorated. She all but skipped down the road when she saw Thor heading towards the Bifrost.

"Skipping out on your own party?" She asked.

He turned and gave her a half hearted smile. "Seems I'm not the only one. What brings you out on this fine evening?"

She fell into step with him, tugging the cloak tightly around her shoulders. "I needed some air."

Thor eyed her suspiciously. "I suppose..."

"Where are you off to?" She asked, changing the subject quickly.

"I thought I'd pay Heimdall a visit."

"Why aren't you at the party?"

"Truth be told, I'm not really in a mood to celebrate." He replied.

"What's wrong with you?"

Thor chuckled and looked down at her. "Why do you ask so many questions?"

She shrugged. "Just trying to make conversation. You haven't seemed yourself."

"I cannot argue with you on that. I haven't felt like myself in quite a while."

"Want to talk about it?" She asked. Thor sighed, skeptical. Seren linked her arm with his. "It's what friends are for, you know."

She felt him relax slightly. "What was it like for you?" He asked. "When Loki would leave?"

"You mean when I was younger? It didn't feel good. He was my friend. You both were."

"What about when you first realized you loved him?"

"It was hard. Really hard. You're supposed to be able to experience love, not have it dangled right in front of you only to have it jerked away every time you reach for it. When he left and didn't come back, I felt like half of me was missing."

"Mm hm." Thor grunted.

"It's that girl, isn't it? The one from that town with the brown hair-"

"Jane Foster." He said.

Seren snapped her fingers. "Yep! That's her. Wow Thor. She's cute."

"Yes." Thor said. They had arrived at the Bifrost.

Heimdall stood at his post, starting out into the cosmos. "You are late." He observed.

Thor smiled and walked up next to him. "Merriment can sometimes be a heavier burden than battle."

"Then you're doing one of them incorrectly." Heimdall replied. "Good evening Lady Seren."

Seren moved to the opposite side of Heimdall. "Hello Heimdall."

"You look much better." He said.

"Thanks. You look...the same as every time I've ever seen you."

The remark had the corners of his lips twitching in an attempt to smile.

"How fare the stars?" Thor asked.

"Still shining. From here I can see nine realms and ten trillion souls. Heimdall drove his sword into the control panel in the center of the observatory and looked to Thor. "You recall what I told you of the Convergence?"

Thor looked out at the stars. "Yes. The alignment of the worlds. It approaches, doesn’t it?"

"The universe hasn’t seen this marvel since before my watch began. Few can sense it, even fewer can see it. But while it’s effects can be dangerous, it is truly beautiful."

"I see nothing." Thor replied.

"Or perhaps, that is not the beauty you seek?" Heimdall said.

Thor laughed as Seren nudged him in the ribs with her elbow. "How is she?"

"She’s quite clever, your mortal. She doesn’t know it yet, but she studies the Convergence as well. Even-" his words died on his lips and he squinted his eyes.

Thor tensed. "What?"

Without blinking, Heimdall searched the stars. "I can’t see her."

"What does that mean?" Seren asked, looking at the two men.

Thor pulled his cloak off, his red one appearing out of nowhere. "Nothing good. Heimdall, send me to her."

Without a word of protest, Heimdall triggered the ignition and Thor disappeared right before Seren's eyes.

At that moment, she heard footsteps behind her. "Lady Seren."

She turned to see five or six guards standing at the entryway. "Yes?"

"We've been sent to escort you back to the castle by order of the Allfather." Two guards seized her by her arms.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry again for the delayed update! Extra long chapter to make up for it. Please comment, it boosts morale! Much love and extra love to the few who like this enough to comment or recommend it. You guys rock the house.