Status: Finally Complete!

Falling Is Like This

Chapter Twenty-five

Sif stared into the fire as it began to die down. She passed the flask to Thor. It had been nearly two hours since they'd fled the castle and Loki had yet to return.

"How did you come about father?" He asked.

"You went in and never came out, so I went in after you. I used the pathways that we used as children. The ones that go under the hidden passages. I found him much like you found us. He had somehow made it into the passage and I quite literally stumbled upon him." She looked down at Odin as he slept, and wiped her eyes. "He was so weak...if someone else had found him..."

"We can count our blessings that no one else did. You showed great bravery today. Asgard shall be indebted to you." Thor replied.

"If there is an Asgard left after all of this. I'm ashamed to admit it, but I'm scared." She said.

"That's nothing to be ashamed of, Sif. I'm terrified." He finished of the last of the contents of the flask. "I have no idea what to do. My only hope ironically lies with my brother."

Sif didn't hide her scowl. "Thor, he's not to be trusted! You see what he did to the All Father!" She whispered.

"He was mislead out of grief. He knows more about Thanos than any of us. He is our best chance at stopping him." He replied.

"I don't want to see you hurt. Every time you place a speck of faith in him, he betrays you. You don't owe him anything." She said.

Thor looked down at his hands. "On the contrary. I owe him everything. I've wronged him without realizing it. Through my arrogance and harsh words. Words that I thought he would find funny. And then when we were on Svartalfheim..." He sighed and stroked his beard. "He saved me from certain death. And he saved Jane. So you see, I owe him everything. I'm not asking you to trust him. I'm asking you to trust me."

"Do you love her?" Sif asked, tracing circles in the sand with her fingers."

Thor looked up at her. "Yes." He replied without hesitation. "And blood or not, Loki is still my brother. And I love him as such."

She looked down, struggling to find what to say. "What will you do when this is over?" She finally asked.

"Truthfully, I don't know." He said.

"What about her?" She jerked her thumb behind her, pointing at Seren.

"Seren? Well...She is..." Thor was unsure if he should answer.

There was a quick flash of light and Loki appeared at the back of the cave, a large sack asking over his shoulder.

Thor and Sif were at their feet in an instant. "I was beginning to worry!" Thor said.

Loki exhaled with an audible woosh. "As was I." He replied, kneeling next to the fire. He dropped the bag. "How's father?"

"Sleeping. But otherwise unchanged." Sif replied.

Loki pulled several large books from the bag and set them aside before pulling out a large jeweled case and several healing stones.

"Did you find everything you need?" Thor asked.

Loki nodded, brushing his hair out of his eyes. "Yes. The books are mother's. She stopped them away in the weapons vault for safe keeping."

"I would hardly call them a weapon." Sif replied.

Loki narrowed his eyes ever so slightly. "These books contain some of the oldest, darkest spells. Very powerful magic is contained within these pages. Magic that was present before the birth of Buri."

"Great grandfather?" Thor asked. "I thought he had no use for magic."

"He...had no..." Odin coughed and forced himself into a reclined position. Sif knelt next to him, helping him sit up. "Use for magic...Because he feared it..." He pointed weakly at the books. "The magic is dangerous. I fear it would consume you."

"What other choice do I have? The only other person strong enough to wield magic like this was mother."

Odin nodded. "I know. And she taught you well. I only ask that you be careful."

Thor gestured to the box. "What is in the box?"

Loki lifted it up. "Mother's personal apothecary. Filled to the brim with herbs and spices of the highest quality. I also grabbed all of the healing stones that I could and-" he reached into the bag and pulled out several bunches of fruits, breads, smoked meats, pastries and a large keg of mead. "I raided the kitchens as well."

Thor smiled. "Loki, you've outdone yourself!"

"No. Not even close, but it's a start." Loki replied.

"Were you seen?" Sif asked, holding a flask of water to Odin's lips.

"I don't know. I cast invisibility only when I needed to. I teleported here just to make sure I didn't lead anyone back to us."

Sif gave him a curt nod.

Loki walked over to where Seren lay sleeping. He knelt next to her and waved his hand over her eyes. After a brief moment, her eyes fluttered open and she looked around.

"Hello sweetheart..." Loki whispered.

"Loki? What happened?" She mumbled.

"You've been asleep for a few hours now."

"Are you going to the castle now?" She asked.

He smiled. "I already went."

She sat up quickly. "Did you put me to sleep?!"

He held his hands up. "It was for your safety."

She punched him on his arm angrily. "Ow!" She shook her hand. "Don't do that to me again, Loki!"

He rubbed his arm where she'd hit him. "I did it to protect you!"

"Yea well I'm pregnant, not made of glass!" She huffed, crossing her arms.

Loki scooted to sit next to her. "You silly girl." He wrapped an arm around her shoulders and pulled her close, pressinga kids to the side of her head. "I would wrap you in bubble wrap if I could."

She lady her head on his shoulder, trying tio shoes a smile.

"You're with child?" Sif asked, unable to hide her shock.

"What amazes you more Sif? That I managed to get someone pregnant? Or that I did it and it wasn't against her will?" Loki snapped.

"It's nothing...it's just...are you sure it's safe? She's a human and you're-"

"A monster?" Loki asked.

"Has she seen you?" Sif asked.

"If you mean all the blue skin and red eyes, then yea. She has seen them." Seren snapped. "And I thought he was beautiful." She said looking at him.

"I only meant that I worry she will have complications when it comes time to deliver. Jotuns are considerably larger than humans."

"Apparently in every way." Seren said with a sly smirk.

Thor choked on the mead he was drinking and Sif rolled her eyes. "That is an image I could do without." She groaned.

Loki's smile arched nearly from ear to ear. "I'm actually proud of you." He said to Seren.

"So what happened at the castle?" Seren asked.

"Nothing." Thor replied. "We attempted to break in and found my father and Sif."

Seren balked. "That's Odin??" She whispered, looking horrified. "But...I thought..."

"I know. But it's a long story." Loki said.

"It's alright dear. I would react the same." Odin said.

"We were fortunate that Thor and Loki found us. We would have been killed for sure." Sif dipped a rag in the water and pressed it to the back of her neck.

"I snuck into the castle and grabbed a few necessities. Things that we hope will aid us in ridding the realm of Thanos." Loki said.

"Do we have a plan yet?" Seren asked. She watched as everyone exchanged glances. "I'll take that as a no."

"We're working on one. Whatever we decide, you are to stay out of it." Loki said.

"I would have to agree with my brother." Thor replied.

"Yea, I kind of guessed as much." She looked over at Loki. "Could you do that thing where you put me to sleep again? That actually helped."

He smiled. "As you wish. However," he stood and walked over to where Odin lay.

Sif immediately jumped to her feet. "What are you doing?"

Using all of his self control to keep from calling her an array of offensive names, he exhaled through his nose and withdrew the stone from his pocket. "I need to heal him."

"I really think you've done enough." She snapped.

"Sif-" Thor reached out to gently pull her away.

"You're better not hurt him. Prince or not, I will kill you." She hissed.

Seren bristled at her words. "Alright hose beast. He said he was going to help him, so back the hell off!" She demanded, getting to her feet.

Sif, Thor and Loki all turned tio look at her. She looked at Loki. "What?! I'm sick of her attitude! Shit is bad enough as it is without her added negativity." She huffed, crossing her arms.

Loki's eyes were full of amusement but he said nothing. He turned and looked back at Sif before gently pushing her aside.

She allowed him to pass but did not leave his side.

Loki knelt next to Odin who simply watched him in silence.

"I want to help..." Loki said quietly. Odin gave him the faintest of nods.

Loki, holding the stone in one hand, held out both hands just over Odin's chest. "You all may want to shield your eyes..." He said as the stone began to shine brightly. He could feel warmth raising from his hands and prayed silently to anyone listening that this would work.

Thor stepped towards Seren and covered her protectively as the bright light became too much to bear. There was a loud snap and a shockwave of energy threw everyone back. And just as quickly as it began, it was over.

Thor and Seren had been thrown against the cavern wall. Thor cushioned the blow and together they fell to the ground. She gripped his arm for stability as he helped her up.

"Are you alright?" Thor asked her. "Is everyone alright?"

She nodded, peering over his shoulder. "What was that?"

Loki stepped back and looked at her as the dust settled. Seren gasped and her hands flew to her mouth. "Oh my God..."
♠ ♠ ♠
So so so incredibly sorry for the late and short update. Been dealing with some serious family illness. Between that and my children, the story had to take a backseat. But please keep reading, I've got more coming. The end is near. Thank you to all of you who have suck with the story so far and have bothered to comment. Much love!