Gemini

Origins

4 more Berkel years pass and Gemini start to understand how Anthony's world works. They learn about the basis of society mostly. Proper etiquette, and the normal speech of most humans. Anthony teaches them about music and even brings out some books that he kept hidden. He teaches them how to read and write and before he knows it, he begins to love them like his children.
One day, during the time where Berkel is in daylight, Ni asks about Anthony's scar on his face. "Anthony how come you have a similar scar to Gem and I?"
"Go get your sister and I'll tell you how I got here" Anthony says.
Ni goes to get her and then they sit down next to Anthony; one on each side.
"When I was a young man" Anthony starts. "I never believed aliens existed. I thought they were just a myth created by drunk teenagers to explain Area 51. It's the secret organization that my government has in the desert." He closes his eyes and remembers that night. "Well I was with a few of my friends when it happened. We had been up all night from going to a rave. I was only about ten earth years older than you 2. We saw a light in the sky." Anthony uses his hands as he speaks to create a better image for Gemini. "It was bright as our sun but is was moving in all sorts of different directions. We saw it fall to the ground and went to go check it out. We saw 3 figures come through the light and thought they were government workers. We tried to talk to them but I guess they didn't want to hear it. They grabbed us and pulled us inside. Me and my friends soon found out what had happened. We had been abducted by these people. These... Ruthen." he takes a deep breath, remembering his friends' calls for help. "They marked us on our faces and quickly learned our language. They told us that we had been giving the mark of the monster. They called us Gemini... meaning alien... or so they said. One of them was Dr. Xanthan. He stole DNA from all of us and tried to make super soldiers of their own. All of his tests failed and he took it out on us. My friends died quickly and I was able to escape and hide here. I've been here from then on. For 10 and 1/2 of your years. That equals 21 earth years. They gave me a drug just before I escaped. I think that it is meant to react to your air here. It's slowly killing me"
Gem gasps as he says that. "Are you sure? Are you sure you're dying?" tears well up in her eyes. "I don't want you to die."
Anthony hugs her. "It's alright. I still have time I won't be gone for a few more of your years."
Ni sighs. "I can tell that this planet is cruel. They were cruel to me and my sister before you got us. They wanted to make more of us to mine the Polonium in our core"
"I figured." Anthony says. "That's why they wanted the super soldier... to resist the radiation."
They feel a tremor in the ground and Anthony laughs. "Don’t they know that if the mess with the planet it'll become radioactive?"
"It will?" Gemini ask.
"Yup" Anthony says. "I heard a theorist say that if the Board keeps digging, that Berkel will collapse... and implode"
"how long?" Gemini ask again.
"I bet it will be when I die. The Theorist said that it would only take 1o years. It's been 7"
As Berkel's sun sets, Anthony lays down to sleep. Both Gem and Ni have their head on his chest as they also drift off.