It Had To Be You

Chapter 15

I found it rather odd yesterday that Kenzie was so upset, all I had to do is drop her off. No big deal. Right? I mean I'm pretty sure we've gotten over the whole 'I think Justin is a God' thing. So, just to make sure nothing's up I waited again for Lane today.

We don't talk for one day and the next time I see her she's a mess. Lane looked pale, her hair look lifeless, and her eyes didn't have any sparkle. Not to mention Ian wasn't looking as chipper as he usually did, he must have known something was wrong with his mom. It was really, really startling.

"Hi Justin." She picked up Ian giving him a hug. There was no Kenzie in sight like usual, "Guess what we get to do today?" Lane asked trying to sound excited. He shrugged nuzzleing his nose against hers, "We get to go up to Auntie Jolynn's to pick up your Halloween costume!" Maddie looked up at me with sad eyes. Usually we just bought hers from the store. Man I'm a lame dad.

"Is Maddie going to go with us?" he asked his face serious. Lane looked at me, and I shrugged.

"Justin, it wouldn't be too big of a thing, I'm sure Jo could whip something up for her quick." She began rambling. Lane bent down and looked at Maddie, "What were you going to be this year honey?" Maddie bit her lip and glanced at me.

"Well, I wanted to be Marie Antoinette." Lane made an 'oh', "but I was just going to settle for a regular princess costume." She explained, my heart sank a little. I knew that Madeline had done a project about her but didn't know that's what she wanted to be. Even if ol' Marie's head ended up getting chopped off.

Lane was smiling all over now, well almost, "That's a very good choice. I'm pretty sure she could do something for you." She set Ian down and stood up turning to me, "Is it a go?' I nodded, then kissed her cheek. The two midgets made shouted 'ew'.

"Come on you two." I rolled my eyes and headed towards my car. We just let Maddie slide lately, she's only about half and inch and a few pounds off the chart to get off the booster seat.

We drove up pretty much in slience. Considering asking 'what's new' might not be the best choice, plus half of our entertainment value fell asleep. I was all good until we got to the front door, even if the lady was one of Lane's friends she was still new. I took a deep breathed and watched as Ian squirmed on my arms.

The door opened revealing an attractive women who looked a little younger then us, "LA-" she started then quieted down seeing Ian and me, "ne?"

"Shh, Jolynn this is Justin and Maddie." Lane pulled Madeline forward a little, "Maddie wants to know if you can make a costume for her too." Jolynn's face lit up like it was Christmas morning.

"Of course I can! Now come in, come in." she stepped back and let all of us enter. Lane took Ian from me and went into another room to put him down. I stood there observing everything. While her and Maddie started discussing.

There were pictures everywhere, mostly of what looked like plays and some then there were some family photo's too. Interesting….. Lane came back sighing.

"You two are getting along well." She smirked then looked at me, "JoJo you wouldn't mind if we added two more people to supper tonight?" Jolynn shook her head 'no'. I felt like I was intruding like no tomorrow.

"I hope they don't mind tofu lasagna." Jolynn mumbled shrugging. Maddie made a face, I've had tofu once or twice but niether were all that great.

"Vegetarian?" I asked shyly.

"Yes sir." She smiled, "So do you wanna come see what we can do Maddie?" Maddie shook with excitement. We all let out a small laugh and the two were on their way, leaving Lane and I in the entrance area.

"She was in performing arts in college." Lane started walking into the living room. She plopped down on the couch, I followed.

"Figured something like that." I smiled looking at her. She smiled then hung her head biting her lip, "Ok," I looked down at Lane, "something's wrong." Duh, way to go Justin, point out the obvious.

Lane gazed back up at me, hurt all over her face, "Kenzie is at the concert tonight," she cringed, "and yesterday when I was going through some files at work I found- found that she's on birth control." I shifted uncomfortably. But that's normal for teenagers, I don't know why Lane is so upset about it, "See, she didn't tell me. Like everything else." She muttered.

"And you think tonight, they're going to-" I coughed, she nodded rapidly, "Ah, well." There wasn't anything I could say to that.

"Then I forgot to pick them up from school I was so upset," that explains it, "The worst part is I yelled at her for it. And yelled at her for the accusations her teachers made." Lane dropped her shoulders and started beating her head against my shoulder.

"You are in a tough position." I pointed out. Sister, and mother are meant to be two totally different things, no matter how hard you try to be one or the other you end up being what you know best I guess, "I'd say you aren't doing too bad of a job." She stopped and mumbled something incoherent, "Besides she's almost an adult, maybe you should start treating her that way."

"I love you."

What? Repeat here. I'm pretty sure she meant in the romantic way. Well she has to, after all of this. Ok, don't do the 'man reaction' say something back. This is such a silly time to say something like that though. Well stop staring and just say it!

"I….love you too." If only that didn't sound so much like a question. Lane started blushing madly, you can't say something like that too wrong. Did I?

"So, we only need a few more little details but here she is!" Jolynn came back out. We were still sitting on the couch staring at each other, "Hope I didn't interrupt anything." I looked up to see Maddie playing in a puffy tan dress and corseted top, with Jolynn standing behind her.

"No." I said quickly. But how did she get something like that done so fast? Lane must have heard Ian or something.

"Dad! Jo has a whole closet of costumes and a whole room for hats and shoes and make-up!" Make-up? Like lipstick and eyeliner make-up or face paint.

Jolynn laughed, "Don't look so scared, I'm not a drag queen." I chuckled, that wasn't one of my first thoughts. Madeline was confused, which just made this all the funnier. All of a sudden a cat jumped up scaring the shit out of me, Maddie found that funny and started laughing at me instead.

"A kitty!" she gleefully declared. Jolynn grabbed her hand before she could reach out and pet it.

"We'll get changed and then you and Ian can play with Bogo." I breathed a sigh of relief, realizing that she just didn't want to get the costume full of cat hair, instead of the cat being mean or man-eating. Yeah a man-eating cat.

Fig! Eh, I should stop worrying, he'll just eat later then normal. God it all because I'm in a new place and meeting new people. At least I'm not as bad as Monk. That would suck.

Lane came back out with Ian just as Jolynn and Maddie left. It was like tag, fantastic. She seemed flustered when we started talking again. I shouldn't be saying anything though, it is hard saying 'I love you' to someone for the first time. Especially when it just comes out like that.

Anyways, Maddie and Ian went hog-wild over Bogo the cat and the tofu lasagna wasn't that bad. Ian ate it like no tomorrow, and Maddie just kind of picked at it. Lane and I lightly talked for the rest of the night, nothing to in-depth. I just hope she doesn't think she did something wrong, I like helping her and listening to her talk.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image
so this is going to be the banner for the story now :D i just have to get to makng a layout but for some reason on this story it nevers ends up happening.... you can do it Aby!!!

and have to say this chapter in my opinion sucked. please tell me if you agree or not,

by COMMENTING YO!!!

eh, lost a subsciber...... : (