It Had To Be You

Chapter 20

I don't know what it was. There had been this melody stuck in my head for weeks and today I finally wrote it down after playing it on my guitar. After that lyrics came with it, so as I looked it over I decided to call everyone up. Josh was over at my house within the hour, Jesse, and Tony all were pretty excited. Matt I guess had to wait seeing as how I got his answering machine.

"Dude, this is amazing." Josh complimented and I bowed then we continued making licks for the song.

"I want to start writing again," I sighed, "Although my studio," or what you could call a computer in the basement a studio, "is totally trashed."

"Oh all those wild parties."

"Yeah…" We both chuckled but continued to concentrate on the music.

"So what's up with you an Lane, you seem pretty serious."

"Yeah. We are." From what I can tell.

Josh nodded and I shrugged knowing that he was going to lecture me a bit. Pulling off my glasses I rubbed over my face and checked the time.

"She's good for you out of what I can tell." What? This is a first, my first wife didn't even get this blessing.

"Thanks." My confidence went up and I checked the time on my phone, "I have to pick up the kids from school."

"Kids?"

"Ok, Maddie and Ian. It is just easier to say kids." I lifted off the strap and took the other from Josh to go set them in my bedroom.

"She's good for you!" He shouted getting up and going to the living room.

"What are you doing? You think you're going to get a free meal from us?" I chucked the remote at him when I walked back into the room and he let out a painful laugh.

"Ch'yeah, I’ve sat here for hours just play guitar with you! I want steak and champagne!" Josh commented watching me put on my jacket and hat.

"Ok, pizza it is." I agreed at our old joke, "We'll have to skip the X-box."

"I'm not too heart-broken."

"Just a little though." He nodded and held his head low while I made a hand motioning little, "Oh and let Fig in!"

"I'll call Mark while you're out and see what he thinks we should do." Josh situated himself on the couch I said 'ok' and got into my newly repaired car. It was finally toasty warm as I pulled up to the school.

"Ian! Maddie! Pizza night!" I announced as each took one of my hands and we walked to the car. After strapping and what always seems like gluing them into the car we head out to get Kenzie.

She was ok with pizza night but Kenzie freakin' flipped when she saw Josh sleeping on the couch. This in turn woke him up abruptly and I laughed my ass off. Maddie went to the table to work on her spelling homework for a bit and Ian got to know Josh and Kenzie took his spot on the couch watching TV. I heard a lot of laughs in the living room. Eventually he broke away and then managed to shatter the news to me.

"Justin," He looked me in the eyes, "Mark is down for making a new album, but he says he wants to hit the ground running. He says if you can that he wants us to come down for a full month."

"A month? But Madeline--and Lane and Ian and Kenzie--" I sighed, he shot an apathetic look at me.

"I know what you're saying, but if you can’t you can’t." Pondering, I soon got the same feeling in my stomach I've had all this rut: sickly. It takes so much work I feel tired thinking about it and I know I'm sick when I'm tired. Childish but still.

"Ok." Don't say it, too late, "I guess I could call Maddie’s mother."

"Anna,” He said her name and I kind of cringed. There was still hurt there in ways I know I should be over. “Ok, well I'll call him back tomorrow morning, can you call all the guys?" I shrugged taking in a breath.

"Yeah I will." Momentarily the doorbell rang so it had to the pizza, "Here." I pulled out my wallet and handed it to Josh without any witty jokes.

I was leaving her with her mother? I was cruel and unusual. Her mother made it clear that she didn’t want anything to do with Maddie, well not verbally, but you get the point. Maddie was her own person and I don’t think Anna could handle that.

There were ecstatic cries as the pizza was passed around along with clanks of the plates. Eventually I pulled myself out of my sulking and went to grab some. Finally Lane came through the from the garage. She looked over-worked and rushed and ready to go to sleep.

"Ok, we'd better hurry, curling starts at 6:30 tonight." I revved hoping neither of them would choke on their food, "Josh can please take them tonight?" He agreed and then like the "big uncle Josh" he waited for them to finish then rounded everyone up.

Kenzie looked at the two of us and then cleared her throat, "I'm going to go and watch TV."

"Lane-"

"Justin I need to talk to you… I don't know what I'm going to do." I stood frozen, I didn't know what I was going to do either. We made out way to the farthest part of the kitchen away from the living room, "The government wants to buy the lot my house is on." She sighed out and then handed me the letter, "It is a good amount of money and I could buy a better house with, but… I need time to fine a house and I can’t just-- to Ian and Kenzie, and I..." I noticed how pale her complexion was and I realized she was so stressed she was getting sick. She ran a hand over her forehead.

"Come here," She leaned heavily into my hug. My sudden blurting was coming up again, "Move in here with me." Lane pulled away with surprised and hopefully happy eyes.

"Really?" I mouthed a yes and she relaxed into another hug. As I stroked her hair I had to tell her my story of the day too.

"But Lane," She looked up nervously, "Were meeting with Mark soon."

"That's great Justin! I mean I can't wait to hear it and when are you going to start re-" Wait, she wanted to hear it? Back to subject Justin!

"He wants a solid month of work," Lane nodded knowing why there was a sad tone to my voice.

"I'll watch Maddie if you want." We both paused and Lane waited patiently for my response.

"I'm sure she'll love that."

I sighed and still felt guilt in the pit of my stomach, "Oh I know it is hard…"

Silently I agreed with her and kissed her forehead. Then we both embraced in one more hug. The rest of our Friday night was quiet, we ate and then the kids came home tuckered out. Josh left, and all of us agreed that it would be best if Lane and the kids spent this night, heck that is the first time almost all of the rooms have been filled. It was a comforting fullness.
♠ ♠ ♠
yeah, this story is fun for me to write. and it is going to be like a sitcom aka never ending.