Status: Active

Annabel Lee

Realizations

Severus’s Point of View
The Next Morning


I awoke rather peacefully the next afternoon, curled up between the arm of the couch and Annabelle. After the initial embarrassment of the position I slipped myself onto the floor and placed a blanket gently on top of Annabelle.

"Severus." I looked up to see my mother in the kitchen doorway staring at the two of us. Rubbing my arms to warm myself I made my way to the kitchen and sat down. "Good morning."

"Morning," I mumbled and yawned. My mother smiled and set down a bit of oatmeal in front of me. "Are you feeling better?" She smiled and nodded wrapping her robe around her tighter.

"Much better, does your friend need some breakfast too? I'm not sure if I have enough though," she chimed far too kindly. I bit the inside of my cheek and turned my head.

"You don't need to do that," I muttered embarrassed. She smiled and slid her hand on top of my head.

"So who is she? Do I know her? She looks familiar, sort of like that Narcissa girl."

"She's a friend of mine," I muttered fixing the shirt I was wearing. Suddenly her smile became firmer and her eyes hard.

"Severus, its not a very good idea for her to stay too long. If your father comes down—"

"She doesn't have anywhere to go."

"What do you mean?" Her question went unanswered. My mum looked like she was going to throw the plate onto the table in frustration, but at the last second she took a deep breath and slipped it on the old wooden table.

Creeeeek

Both our identical heads of hair whipped towards the doorway, the only difference being that of our expressions. Annabelle was half hiding behind the doorway. Her eyes staring shyly at the floor, her bangs feathered over her big blue eyes. I turned a light pink and my face softened drastically. Mother on the other hand looked stunned at her presence. It struck me that my mother had realized who she was for before I had.

"Oh," Mum babbled and quickly turned around so she could put an extra spoon on the table. Annabelle smiled and sat down in the chair next to me. "I'm sorry we don't have more for you to eat. I'm Eileen Snape, what's your name sweetie?" Annabelle paled and tried to keep her smile up as she croaked.

"Ah, uh, m…" She was having such difficulty she finally whimpered, shut her eyes, and practically slammed her head onto the table.

"She doesn't talk much," I explained and helped sit Annabelle up again. Annabelle blushed red and began pushing her face into my shoulder. My mum began giggling but quickly stopped seeing my flushing form.

"I uh, have to go… make sure that your father gets up for work," she said hastily getting up and rushing to the hallway to catch up with my father.

"Do you have anything planned for today?" I asked quietly and she lifted her head far enough to brush her bangs away. She shook her head and took a spoonful of oatmeal in her mouth.

"Uh… Annabelle?" She looked up with her spoon stuck in her mouth.

"Hmm?" she asked and swallowed looking up at me expectedly. I closed my eyes as my face burned harder and harder.

Don't be a coward. I thought taking a deep breath as I crept my hand slowly off the table so it hung at my side.

"Can I…" she was looking at me expectantly as she continued putting more and more oatmeal in her mouth. “Get you a napkin?" I asked, dryly. She turned pale and put the spoon down on the table, warily wiping her mouth corners with her hand. I cringed, stupid courage leaving me at times like this.

Ten minutes later we heard my parents coming down the stairs. Annabelle looked petrified beginning to shake. I pulled her by the arm and hid her with me behind the wall near the doorway.

"I'll see you after work, darling," Mum said holding a jacket draped over her arms to my father.

"Hmm," he grumbled taking it from her without thanks. Without warning he tucked the jacket under his arm and pressed his lips firmly on top of hers. I cringed when she kindly accepted the kiss before he pulled away and slid out the door.

Annabelle was gaping with a look of astonishment adorning her pale face. I grimaced at even imaging about what she might have been thinking. I placed a hand on her back which made her a little stiff but then a calming aura went around her. My mother walked in a moment later with a smile that came off as real.

"Annabelle, why don't I get you some clothes and then we'll take you out somewhere? How does that sound?" my mum asked brushing her hair out with her fingers. Annabelle looked up, puffed her bangs out of the way, and nodded over-enthusiastically. My mother and I both smiled similarly as she led Annabelle into her room upstairs.

I cleaned up the bowl of oatmeal and dirty spoons then put them in the sink for my mother to wash later. A smile was hidden behind my curtain of hair, today felt like a good day. A strange sense of separation was slowly creeping its way into my chest though, so I walked up the stairs urgently till I reached my parent's room. Annabelle looked rhapsodic sitting on my parents' bed, her hands neatly folded in her lap with her legs crossed at her ankles. If I didn't know she was homeless I wouldn't have suspected a thing.

"So do you have any clothes?" My mum asked as she pressed her back against the closet door obviously noticing Annabelle was in that nightgown. Annabelle nodded gracefully pulling out her backpack to reveal her clothes that I saw her in yesterday, crumpled but clean. Then came Narcissa's dress and sweater-thing, there were slightly wrinkled but still looked their normal brilliance.

"Gifts?"

Annabelle nodded.

"Alright then, uh, let's see what I can pull out, ok? Good thing I keep my old clothes." She slid open the door and began sifting through the throng of clothing. Annabelle was mesmerized by the bits of cloth that fell into her lap and she held them up to the light of the window.

"Just try them on and see how you like them," my mother said. Annabelle stiffened and shrank back from her place. I smiled, she was so shy. "Oh, sorry!" my mother rambled turning her head to face the wall. Annabelle still looked uneasy, but cautiously stood up.

I was confused as to why she hadn't asked me to leave, but all thoughts stopped when she the nightgown she wore was slipped to the floor and kicked off her feet. I felt a jumped in my stomach and I turned so I wasn't looking and my back was now pressed against the wall.

I became aware of the fact that no one knew I had been watching. Annabelle didn’t know that I had seen her undressing. Without even a second thought I turned back to the gap in the doorway.

I don't know why I didn't have a problem watching her undress. I guess it could have been curiosity, but I also had to admit that I wasn't just doing it for research or something. There was no real gain.

So I watched her through the gap for ten minutes, my face burning, until she was dressed in a cotton dress.

"You look smashing," my mother smiled clasping her hands together. "It's so good to have a girl around. I mean that Narcissa came around the other day, but she's a little intimidating." Annabelle smiled warmly and began holding herself in her arms, feeling the long sleeves of the dress on her arms.

"What did you say your name was again?" Annabelle pursed her lips and rocked side to side. My mother looked crestfallen. "It’s ok, you don't have to talk. It's just nice to have another girl to talk to."

"Annabelle." I smiled hearing her voice and accidentally knocked a bit of the door forward.

"Oh, Severus," my mom saved the conversation and laughed coming over to help me up. Annabelle blushed and looked down at her feet. "Come on you two, it's around two, we can probably go to the park if you want," smiled.

She looks so much more happy, did she really need to talk to a girl that badly? I thought as I shrugged lazily.

"Why not?" I sighed and looked around. "Let's get changed though," I frowned looking down at my pajamas. My mother agreed, pushing us out of the room so she could change. Then without acknowledging Annabelle, I went to my room downstairs to change.

At the Park

Annabelle was hanging from the monkey bars with her toes just inches from the ground. She was smiling brightly and shook her head. Annabelle let go of the bars and landed harshly on the woodchips. You would think it would hurt her, but it didn't. She just walked to the swing next to mine.

"I like it here, thank you for bringing me," she whispered.

"Don't thank me. We should have brought you somewhere else," I answered quickly. She began swaying back and forth happily on the swing.

"Your mother's very kind." I nodded and smirked.

"Yep." She smiled a little more and then looked forward at my mother on the bench. She was reading a book and looking around nervously. Annabelle giggled quietly staring down at her dress.

"I'll return your clothes, as soon as I can. I promise," she said guiltily. I looked at her long legs that were fumbling almost awkwardly under her. I shrugged.

"You shouldn't, your other clothes are disgusting," I said and could feel the embarrassment come from Annabelle.

Say something that isn't insulting, you twit! I thought rolling my eyes and rotated my swing so my back was facing her.

"I don't want them returned because you look nice in them, ok?" I said blowing a piece of my hair out of my face. My face was towards the woodchips for a few seconds of silence, but then swiveled the seat to see her. She was blushing and really hard.

I began to smile, not really caring that she saw, and my chest began shake as I held in laughter. She then began to smile, tight lipped and then full, and then began laughing.

"Can we go somewhere?" she asked quietly, but blissfully. I shrugged and stood up.

"Sure." She stood up gracefully and started walking into the richer part of the neighborhood. "Annabelle, are we supposed to be heading this way?" I finally asked as stares came from the other side of the street.

"Yes, we are," she began laughing quietly. She looked confident walking down the street, she didn't care about what people were saying about her or thinking. It was like the first time I caught people picking on her, she just smiled.

"We're here," she said quietly staring. I saw a two story home; it was white with a green garden full of fruits and vegetables. I noticed it was sitting right next to Lily's house, a small fence not even the size of a child separating the homes. The tire hanging from the tree swung back and forth, hypnotizing me until I realized where we were.

I saw this in Annabelle's memory. I realized looking back at Annabelle. She was staring vacantly across the road at the home with a small happy smile. I assumed it was her old home, before she began living on the streets.

We sat there for five minutes or so before we saw the front door open. Annabelle gasped and stood up quickly beginning to run off.

"Hey!" I shouted in frustration and began running after her. I caught up to her at the park again where she was sitting down behind the jungle gym and panting. "Why'd you… run off?" I hissed out my words between gasps of air. She was still wheezing, which worried me, but she let out a laugh again.

"The people… they don't like me looking," she mumbled. I stared at her, she looked like she was trying not to look upset, and so I sat down next to her and took her bag from her so she could breathe easier.

"Severus," my mother walked up to us and held onto her arms. "I have to go make dinner for your father. Do you two want to stay here till your father goes out?" I nodded and pat Annabelle on the back till she stopped her breathlessness. Annabelle smiled at me and leaned her head back on the plastic play-set.

Just do it, you're not a coward. I took a deep breath and leaned my head back.

"Annabelle, can I…"

"You did this earlier," she said after my small pause. "What is it?" she asked sweetly scooting a little closer. Now I had to do this, she had opened the door for me.

Smoothly, I reached over and put my hand over hers. Finally understanding my intent, Annabelle glowed red in the light of the street lamps. I made a short laughing sound as I put her hand in mine; it was so small, thin. It fit, it felt a little awkward on my part; like she knew how to hold my hand, but I didn't know how to hold hers. But she was smiling behind her beat red face, so I felt a little confident.

We both just kind of smiled at nothing for about an hour.

An Hour and a Half Later

"Eat up you two," my mum chimed kissing my forehead and Annabelle's. Annabelle was blushing hard as she held her forehead. I chuckled and began eating the stew my mum had made.

"It’s great mum," I said.

"Thank you. Now eat up, it took me forever to make this," she said overdramatically. I began eating and saw Annabelle having a hard time eating more than a few bites. "Do you like it Annabelle?" my mom asked a little dishearten that she wasn't eating too much. Annabelle went wide eyed and nodded vigorously.

"Brilliant," Annabelle added quietly as she had taken her second taste. My mom smiled happily and nodded continuing to watch us. Annabelle ate slowly, painfully. I smiled seeing her eat so much.

After at the near end of dinner both our bowls were empty and Annabelle was holding her stomach.

"Are you alright?" I asked putting a hand on her back. I could feel every bone. She looked up and nodded, putting up a smile. A few seconds later she jumped up from her chair and rushed through the bathroom. My mother looked upset and looked down at her stew.

"I'm sorry, I must have made it wrong," she said softly throwing the rest in the garbage can. I bit my lip and went to the bathroom where Annabelle was throwing up into the toilet without mercy.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry," she sobbed coughing a little after a purge. I sat down next to her.

"Why are you sorry?" I asked scrunching up her nose as he threw up again.

"I wasted your food. I'm sorry, I knew I shouldn't eat too much but I felt so bad that I wasn't eating enough of your mother's cooking," she said with a pathetic smile. I looked thoughtful with a blank face.

"Are you, making yourself sick?" I asked. She looked upset for a moment but then smiled and shook her head. Her voice became her quietest.

"I didn't eat enough when I was living on the streets. So eventually my stomach-" she paused to start throwing up again, "-just shrunk so that if I eat more than just a little I get sick like this."

I felt pity for her. We had all said she was anorexic and didn't believe her when she said she wasn't. And because she couldn't eat that much she never gained any wait. She just looked that thin!

"I'm sorry." Annabelle shook her head.

"I 'm the one who has messed up so much," she said wiping her mouth with some toilet paper. I frowned as she flushed the toilet and finished getting sick. She then turned to me and smiled holding her arms up. I scowled and lifted her up so she was standing, then helped her over to the couch. While she was resting I told my mom what happened so she wouldn't worry. She was so relieved.

"Annabelle?" I asked going back to the living room to find her passed out and asleep. I shook my head and turned to my mother. "Can she stay in my room?" I asked, knowing it sounded a little off. She shrugged.

"Sure thing sweetie, I trust you." With that I brought her up to my room, put her on one side of the bed, while I went on the other.