Status: Active

Annabel Lee

Progress

Severus’s Point of View

Contrary to what a lot of people thought, I didn’t mind getting up in the morning. I would usually stay in my bed, appreciating the sound of nothing for the short while until the rest of the blokes in the room would get up. Luckily for me, most Slytherin got ready for the day in silence, except for Regulus, who had to always throw a fit over getting out of bed.

“How do you get up so bloody early,” Regulus yawned as he rolled out of his bed. Malfoy stewed silently as he shoved his comforter off.

“I don’t stay up till three in the morning because I was sneaking into some girl’s dorm,” I said snidely. Regulus laughed and put his arms behind his head contently while he still lied on the ground.

“Oh right,” he said and closed his eyes. “It was worth it. See you, Snape,” he yawned and rolled over on the floor.

“Dimwit,” I mumbled and left the dormitory. I went into the Common Room and saw Annabelle sitting on the couch. She looked up when I was close enough for her to hear my footsteps and smiled brightly. She folded her skirt neatly over her knees and ran her fingers through her hair.

“Hey, Sev,” she giggled softly and pulled out her wand. If I hadn’t known that she was casting the Muffliato charm I would have barely noticed.

“You’re getting quite good at that,” I said standing in front of her and she looked down at her shoes, "but you realize that we’re leaving right now. The spell isn’t meant for the mobile."

“Look,” she whispered and that mischievous cat of hers, Benvolio, jumped onto her lap. Once picking him up she motioned me to follow her. As we strolled out of the door I continued to hear the trademark buzzing.

She altered my spell?

“Sorry for not asking first,” she whispered again, still wary of speaking in public despite the spell. I didn’t reply, instead I started on our walk to the Owlery in the West Tower.

“Why must you use my owl, again?” I asked watching her with scrutiny as she rubbed the cat’s ears and it began purring loudly, rolling its back up with its plump torso.

“I don’t have one.”

“I can see that,” I said with a kind of amusement. “I meant why can’t you just use Narcissa’s?” She held Benvolio a little closer and then sighed.

“I expect she’d read it.”

“And you assume I won’t?” I asked shoving my hands into my pants pocket as I dodged a leaf being whipped around in the wind. She tilted her head and pulled her bangs up for a moment to look at me.

“Yes,” she said bluntly before turning back as we reached the top of the tower. She pulled out a piece of parchment from her collection of books and handed it to my owl, I hadn’t bothered to name him.

“Well maybe you shouldn’t,” I huffed as I started to walk away before she was finished sending the owl off. I got about three yards in front of her before I heard the owl flying away and another two before she caught up.

“You know I always will,” she laughed but only like a wheeze because she had to run to catch up with me. She placed her hand on my sleeve for a moment and smiled so kind I had to sigh exasperated and place my hand on her head.

“Shut up," I mumbled and walked her inside the Grand Hall. Annabelle and I adjusted ourselves accordingly to the atmosphere. We separated to an arm’s length apart; I held my head level and defiant while she kept her eyes to the floor, her bangs hiding them. But there was a kind of happiness around us, even I could feel it. Lucius, Narcissa, and Regulus were sitting at the same reserved seats at the Slytherin table.

“Progress,” I head Narcissa sing quietly to the group as she spotted us first. Lucius followed suit and noticed out arrival. Regulus only continued to stick his spoon in pumpkin oatmeal.

“What’s wrong with him?” I asked grabbing a glass of water while Annabelle did the same. Regulus looked up and groaned stacking more pancakes on his plate and shoving them two at a time into his mouth.

“Oh, he’s just upset about his date for the ball,” Regulus said smirking. He looked up and growled, swigging down some milk to clear his throat.

“Who is it, Holly?” Narcissa asked cooling, still gazing at her beau’s face.

“My mother insists on me taking Priscilla Lance,” Regulus said after choking down another pancake.

“Priscilla the Pu… uh, I mean, Priscilla? Oh, you poor thing!” Narcissa cackled. “Aunt Walburga must really want you have a pure-blood family fast.”

“She’s just too easy. There’s no fun in it without a little chase,” he said winking at Holly a ways down the table. Annabelle stared off in space concentration for a moment until she understood what they were talking about. A red color rose up her neck to her ears quickly and she pushed her bagel away.

“So you’re ready to go shopping tomorrow, Annie?” Narcissa asked pushing her plate away and placed her hand under her chin. She looked up at her only long enough for Narcissa to notice her hesitance.

“Narcissa, about that…”

“What, you don’t want to go?” Narcissa asked crestfallen. We all felt a chill as we wondered what would happen if Annabelle didn’t agree quickly. No one liked her water works. “I thought you’d have fun with some girl time.” Annabelle noticed all the eyes on her and started stuttering like a madman.

“N-N-No, i-it’s not like-like-like—” she fumbled miserably until I felt enough pity for the berking girl to step in.

“She feels guilty about you spending money,” I said bored and turned to Annabelle to discretely whisper, “and stop making me speak for you, you twit.” I glared but my insult seemed to go over her head as she gave me a quick smile.

“Thank you.”

“Annabelle, you are so irrational! Honestly, it couldn’t please me more to buy a gown for you,” Narcissa said curiously trying to make eye contact with Annabelle. She pushed her bangs back and nodded smiling.

“Okay, Cissa.” Narcissa seemed pleased with the response and took a deep breath.

“Well, it was nice seeing you boys, but we have classes now. See you later, Annie. You too, Snape,” she said skipping off with Lucius by her said. Regulus laughed as he put down his fork.

“It’s like they don’t think we realize class starts in twenty minutes,” he said leaning back, relaxing for the first time in three days. “Annie?”

“Muh?” she asked popping her head up. Regulus smiled weakly and shook his head.

“Still an airhead I see,” he said and Annabelle frowned. She bore her eyes into his face and didn’t look away. She was acting so strange today. “What, do I have something on my face?” he asked wiping his mouth vigorously.

“Are you alright, Reg?” she whispered sadly. Regulus reeled his head back like he was verbally punched in the face. “You look ill,” she added self-consciously.

The meetings had been hard on Regulus lately. The Dark Lord have him new, harsh tasks in order to test how strong the Black family really was. I had doubts on whether or not He would let him become a full-fledged Death Eater.

His family associations should prove suffise. Regulus, after receiving a discouraging glare from me, rebounded with excellent speed.

“And here I thought I looked as refreshing as a summer’s day,” he said reaching across to ruffle her whitening hair after tussling his own. “I’ll catch up with you later, I have some ruddy creatures to deal with.” Annabelle bid him a silent wave. I nodded to signal acknowledgment. After his departure, Annabelle made another befuddled grimace before blinking.

I suppose he doesn’t realize she knows there’s still ten minutes left before classes begin.

“What were you and Dumbledore talking about?” I muttered taking a drink of water. Annabelle turned to me with her sunken in eyes and tilted her head.

“It’s not important,” she smiled and turned back to small cut-in-half slice of lemon bread. “Anyways, why does it matter?” I began to say how Narcissa had mentioned her lack of sleep and disheveled appearance, but thought it better not to let that information slip.

“I think you know why,” I said vaguely and she tilted her head smiling at me softly.

“It’s just, things are going to change soon,” she said quietly, almost sad. I thought about the meetings and wondered if Dumbledore had told her about the Dark Lord. Before I could ask any further questions, however, two of the Marauders bounded over to sit on either side of Annabelle.

“You’re looking as lovely as ever Annie,” Black commented. “This skeleton look is really working for you.” Annabelle flushed and scooted away from him, only to bump into Potter on the other side. I grabbed my wand from inside my cloak.

“Beat it Potter, Black,” I hissed. Potter smiled that arrogant, mocking grin and reached across Annabelle.

“Don’t worry, Snivellus. We’re here for the food,” he said taking food from in front of Annabelle, his arm getting dangerously close to her face. “She doesn’t need it or anything, right Annie-rexic?” The two buffoons proceeded to grab food off her plate.

“You guys need to sod off,” Avery said from next to me. “Go back and eat your own Gryffindor slum.” Black laughed scooting closer to Annabelle making her jump up from her seat. Potter left without a word and had to turn to Black when he continued to hassle Annabelle.

“Bye, lovely,” he said raising and hovering his hand across her cheek.

Flipendo,” I hissed and watched Black fall back on his arse. The Slytherin table laughed as Potter helped his mate up and glared at me.

“Watch it, Snape. The Headmaster’s watching, you’re just handing me a self-defense excuse,” he growled.

“Do something about it, coward," I sneered back. They both glared at me and walked back to his Gryffindor table. Annabelle covered her face with her hair in embarrassment at the whole seen.

“Do you want to go to class now?” I asked standing up. She didn’t reply but slowly nodded her head. As we walked, Annabelle continued to keep her flushed face covered. When she didn’t reveal her face, she kept her eyes on her scuffed, black shoes. She looked like she was drowning in a searing hot cauldron of embarrassment. I kept my face stern and blank.

“I… I’m sorry about that,” she managed to squeak out. I shifted my eyes to her but continued to walk deliberately with my scowl. “You don’t need that kind of frustration in your morning.”

“You’re forgiven,” I muttered taking the lead as we walked up the narrow staircase of the North Tower.

“You know I wasn’t really upset,” she said with a small crack in her voice.

“Lying doesn’t suit you,” I scoffed and she laughed a little.

“I can take care of myself,” she continued, rubbing her left earlobe absent-mindedly before speaking again. We sat down on a chair near the back. “So you don’t accept my apology?”

“...You're acting differently,” I sighed and she tilted her head.

“I am?g, I don't think—”

“You’re distancing yourself from all of us,” I quipped back and she plopped down in her chair.

“Don’t be ridiculous,” she said as I sat across from her. I didn’t respond, not because I had nothing to say, but because I noticed Professor Trelawney, the new Divination professor, bending over her desk. She had he face planted firmly against her crystal ball between her eyes and nose. Annabelle took delight in watching the incompetent educator make owl sounds as she peered into the crystal ball.

“What a strange woman,” I murmured and Annabelle giggled, seemingly forgetting my previous remarks. As the classroom started to fill up with students (sadly we had double Divination with Gryffindor), we saw the Marauders saunter in. Pettigrew followed Lupin in like a lost puppy as the werewolf scolded Black and Potter. After glancing over at Annabelle and me, Lupin continued berating the duo.

“All I’m saying is that you could ease off her a bit.”

“Oh come off it, Moony,” Potter whispered getting a table a few rows back. “We were just messing with Slytherin-scum, nothing out of the usual.”

“Twits,” I hissed to Annabelle and she smiled lopsided. Of course she didn’t insult them; she had far too soft a heart. All she did was adjust the position her cup was in with the tips of her two index fingers and smile.

“You’re starting to tease her in a new way and you know it, Padfoot,” the werewolf sighed and pushed his shaggy pot of hair off his face.

“I’m sure I have no idea what you’re trying to say, dear little Moony.”

“I know what you mean, Remus!” the fat one said knocking over one of the cups at their table.

“Crud, Wormtail, keep it together,” Potter laughed. Students began talking even more so it became difficult to eavesdrop much further.

“I’m sorry,” he squealed, “but I know what Remus is talking about. It’s not about...” I noticed Pettigrew trail off as he caught Annabelle looking over at the table hesitantly, only to see four sets of eyes staring back at her. She swiftly returned her gaze back at her teacup.

“Ignore them,” I hissed placing my parchment on the table. Annabelle nodded and began tapping her foot sporadically.

“Hello, my children from the great unknown!” Professor Trelawney shouted as everyone had a seat. Several students flinched and cupped their ears at the screeching volume of the professor’s voice.

“Professor, no need to shout, we’re right here,” a freckled Gryffindor informed her. She sputtered and walked towards the boy stiffly like her legs and arms were glued together, and then poked his shoulder.

“Hm, I suppose you are,” she blinked and strode back to her chalkboard.

“She acts like a batty old woman,” someone near us gaped and I saw Annabelle try to stifle a laugh.

“Today we will begin our examination of palm reading. Please open your books to page 149 and read your partner’s hand lines, the great road maps of life and destiny!” Professor Trelawney sang in a ghostly manner before pressing her ear to the crystal ball, humming all the way to her desk. Annabelle slipped her hand across the table and opened my hand to face her. I shifted in my seat as I tried to ignore my increasing anxiety.

Holding hands was enjoyable for the most part, just the possibilities for embarrassment made the activity questionable. I always noticed a deafening glare from Black and whispered from some fellow Slytherin. Annabelle glided her index finger over the deep canyons of my hands, careful not to actually touch my skin, but close enough that I could feel the warmth of her skin clasping onto mine.

“Hm,” she thought and laid my hand back down to the table like fragile glass. She quickly wrote her observations down on parchment before looking back up at me after a good five minutes.

“Well? Aren’t you going to tell me what you saw?” I asked, but Annabelle just shook her head. She leaned in and cupped a cone with her hands to cover her mouth.

“I’m sure you already know,” she whispered and then placed his hands back on the table. I gulped back an embarrassing realization that she knew I studied palm reading a week in advance because of my lack of experience in the topic. Annabelle smiled pleasantly before twitching her hand in my direction as it lye on the dark red table cloth.

“Loon,” I hissed grabbing her hand. I didn’t trace her lines like she had so my other hand was free to scratch down my reading. I wanted to be finished as quickly as possible, I could feel my palms growing damp and my hands had to be like rough gillyweed compared to hers. However, some of her lines were so faint I had to put down my quill and move a finger over where it led so as to not lose my place. I tried not to look at Annabelle’s face less she was grimacing or smiling, either way it would unnerve me.

Well, maybe it would go unnoticed if I had just one look. Just the idea though, caused my concentration to leave me and my hovering hand ended up touching Annabelle’s. Her whole body jumped and her eyes broke from the white frames of her bangs. This time I couldn’t help my face from flushing a bit. I quickly withdrew my hands and scratched down my analysis. As I wrote, the air seemed thick with silence, and not the usual calm and quiet ones usually between us. Once I finished I pinched the bridge of my nose.

“I’m sorry,” I began but I heard the unmistakable sound of writing and looked up to see Annabelle writing feverishly on a bit of parchment. “What are you doing?” I asked but a folded piece of paper glided across the table. The writing went straight up, so I just had to turn it so her flying cursive faced me.

Can we please still go to the lake today, Severus? Her eyes flitted between her twitching hands and me, a nervous smile playing across her lips.

“I don’t see why things would have changed,” I said strongly, making her seem childish for thinking otherwise. I didn’t catch the glare Black sent me as Potter shouted nonsense about Pettigrew having a cursed life of miserable loneliness. Trelawney was focused on her crystal ball until some sort of alarm rang out in her head.

“Miss Evans, would you collect the papers, please?”

Lily was here? I hadn’t noticed her before but she was sitting in a corner table with Mary MacDonald.

“Of course, Professor,” she answered and went around to each group. As she walked along, I didn’t fail to notice her grace, her bouncing hair, or her wandering green eyes. A small thump from my chest made my heart ache for a moment. However, as Lily made her war to our table and her emerald green eyes fell on our figures, my opinion of her shifted for one of two reasons.

It was possible that her gaze reminded me of the demands she made for my abandonment of Annabelle and had stirred up a feeling of animosity. However, the more likely reasons, I am ashamed to admit, was the dramatic change in Annabelle’s features. Her eyes were confused and inquisitive to Lily’s hard expression. Had no one told her of Lily’s request?

She gave a meek wave to the red headed Gryffindor with a downcast smile. Lily seemed to strain herself to not smile as she held out her hand for our papers. Annabelle kept smiling at her indifference but I could sense her confusion.

“Thank you,” she said harshly and walked off. As I turned back to Annabelle, I saw her gripping at the tablecloth, knuckles white. The gong of the Bell Tower rang and students ran out of the classroom.

Annabelle was one of them.

I didn’t chase after her or call out to her, but simply watched as she walked as fast as possible in her condition. As I lagged behind everyone else, I felt a hand on my shoulder. It was Avery.

“A quick word, Snape?” he asked with a deceitful grin. I looked around to make sure no one was listening. I nodded. “Good.” He steered me in the direction of the Common Room. I had a free period that day and Avery’s directions were not to be taken lightly. As we descended under the Black Lake, I saw Regulus standing in the hall. He shifted against the wall as we approached him.

“Good, only one more to go,” he smirked and I dropped back to follow him with Regulus.

“What’s all this about?” I growled and Regulus shook his head.

“No clue, mate.” We entered the room and sat down on the black couch while Avery stood at the door. We only had to wait a moment before the last member of this meeting arrived.

“Rosier, finally we can begin!” he laughed and sat on the two chairs facing Regulus and me. Evan Rosier was one of the Dark Lord’s more vigorous followers, and more ruthless as well. “Black, you’re bringing Lance to the Malfoy’s party, correct?”

“You got lucky with that one, Black. She’s a hell of a shag,” Rosier laughed in a gruff voice. “Twenty minutes and you’ll be in knocker heaven.”

“Thanks for the heads up, mate,” Regulus said. “However, I’m betting closer to ten.”

“How nice,” Avery said indifferently, but we sensed his growing boredom. “Snape,” he continued, turning towards me and unlacing his folded fingers, “I hope you seize this opportunity to complete your duties.” I had to shift my shoulders.

“I realize this.” But I was surprised at your choice for your date. Emaciare, right?” he added with a seductive tone. I didn’t quite understand why he would talk about Annabelle at the moment and was hoping my assumptions on the situation were wrong.

“And why would that be, Avery?” I quipped.

“Now Snape, Avery here is trying to look out for you two,” Rosier said.

“Let’s call it being informative, shall we?” Avery corrected, giving his counterpart a stern look.

“A warning, perhaps?” I asked in a disbelieving tone.

“Come now, Death Eaters stick together,” he laughed before taking the wizarding chess piece and held it to inspection.

“Is that so?”

“Yes, it is. From my observations that girl you’re taking isn’t Death Eater material,” he said. I realized my fears were reasonable after all.

“Is there a reason she would need to be?” I asked after a pause, seeing him twist the pawn in his hand. They had been watching her? Scouting out her interests, her affiliations?

“I won’t insult you by assuming you’re naive to the nature of this party. Bringing someone who lacks the passion for the Dark Arts isn’t safe for either one of you,” Avery said clearly alluding to my relationship with Annabelle rather than Regulus.

“More like any knowledge of the Dark Arts,” Rosier grumbled. “Does she even know of the Dark Lord?”

“He wouldn’t want her,” Regulus chimed in as his energy came back to his voice. “She lacks the mental strength—”

“—but not the physical ability necessary for a war. We’ve seen the kind of nonverbal spells she can cast and her strategy for dueling,” Avery said. “Snape, does she hold any interests in our type?” Rosier leaned forward and put on an interested smirk. Regulus stared at me quietly with a discrete nod.

“She doesn’t know much, but her loyalties to both her close knit of friends and her fellow Slytherin are immeasurable,” I answered and was pleased with the even voice I maintained. “I believe that even if her interests aren’t in the mission themselves, Annabelle will be at least an important confidant and fellow believer to the cause.”

I felt a strange feeling seep into my skin, like I had just tempted fate.

“Then I suppose that’s all we need,” Avery said. Rosier left the room wordlessly. As I stood too, Avery caught my shoulder. “Prep her beforehand and tell her what to say and what not to,” he hissed quietly when Rosier was out of site. His face was much more strained than usual. “Try to stay clear of Mulciber, if you thought Rosier could be brutal you will detest him even more.” I could hardly believe he was risking talking to me this way.

“Thanks, we’ll take it from here,” Regulus replied standing firmly. Avery quickly left the room; we didn’t stop to question his generosity.

“Seems out of character, don’t you think?” I asked. Surprisingly, Regulus laughed, something that had been absent for some time.

“I heard that he had wanted to invite Annie to be his date instead,” he said. I grunted and picked up my books. “Hey, had Annie talked to you about her meeting with that decrepit old headmaster?” For a moment, I felt compelled to share the small reactions she had had to my questions earlier.

“No,” I eventually said and walked down to Potions, my next class. I happened to share it with Annabelle.

“Wait up, would you? You know I’m in your next class!” Regulus huffed trying to keep pace. When we arrived in Potions, Annabelle had already set up most of the equipment for the day. We worked together in silence, avoiding each other’s gaze. She would send me small smiles if we caught a glimpse of one another. That’s how many of the days in the Common Room had been for the past week but I didn’t worry.

When lunch came around, I had no doubt that I’d be followed to the spot at the lake, no doubt we would sit silently, Annabelle would conjure something from the kitchen, and we would hide in comfort from Gryffindor.

But what I expected now was a lack of just that: comfort.

Her smiles would be tight lipped, she would make no attempt to uncover her eyes, and the silence would annoy me to no end. What secrets did she have to hide? And that’s exactly what I got. In fact, there was an equally as frustrating walk to the lake. She wrapped up things from her basket in napkins and placed them a few inches from my hand.

I didn’t say anything about it. I let her nibble on a corner of half a sandwich; I watched her roll up her sleeves and bottom them at the elbow, exposing her pale arms scared with dirt. She wore something tight around her right wrist.

“Where did you get that?” I asked. Annabelle looked at me through the corner of her eye, and then flew her wrist to eye level. She twisted it so that the light hit every incandescent white bead on her crudely constructed bracelet.

“Narcissa made it for me,” she said plainly. I scowled and turned away. “What’s wrong?”

“You’re lying.” My bluntness didn’t seem to faze her, but she began pulling at the hair behind her ear, an act of inner strife.

“Lying? You always think I am,” she laughed smiling genuinely, which only frustrated me further.

“It’s because you’re such an expert at it, dimwit,” I quipped back. “At least usually you are. Who would believe Narcissa would ever make something rather than buy a gift, and use such common materials.” Annabelle stopped pulling her hair and put on sad eyes to paradox her continuing smile.

“Why are you so angry today? You usually aren’t so mean,” she said completely turning her body to me. I didn’t answer her right away, but she waited patiently for a reply.

“There are problems I didn’t foresee.”

“About what?” she asked touching her bracelet. I waited for her to not make eye contact. When I saw she couldn’t, I sighed.

“It’s the ball.” Rather than look at me, she lowered her eyes and reddening cheeks.

“W-What about it?” she squeaked, barely audible. She took no breaths and held her fingers firmly clawed into her knees.

“It’s going to be overrun by some very dark people,” I said and saw her tilt her head. “Narcissa and I will prep you.”

“No big deal them” she smiled and I pinched the bridge of my nose in irritation.

Maybe the girl really is slow.

“Are you daft? You don’t comprehend the danger you’re in,” I hissed with contempt. Annabelle blinked blandly at me and frowned lightly.

“How can you possibly say that? I have you and Cissa helping me,” she said having you and Cissa helping me,” she said facing me fully. She then stood up and stared at the ground while spinning in circles.

“You put too much faith in me,” I grumbled suddenly zapped of my energy. She stopped slowly and crossed her heals.

“Never,” she smiled and kneeled before me. “You’re very trustworthy,” she said and hesitated for a moment. Then, with her hands still exposed by her altered sleeve took my hands.

“Annabelle—”

“I know, in public, but we’ll have to practice,” she said looking down at our hands tying to cover her blush, “with your hands at least if not your arms.” Annabelle took a deep breath and I stayed silent as I didn’t reply. Slowly she started to retrieve her hands. “You’re right, I’m far too barking today—” she began slipping back a bit, but I held her hands firmly.

“Our hands, then,” I murmured. She smiled lightly and closed her eyes, still kneeling in front of me.

“Annabelle, never try to be too brave, alright?” I asked looking right at her. She looked up to me and said in an almost serious tone:

“Since when have I ever been?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Notes: Hello lovelies, I hope you like the update. Sorry they are coming so slowly. Comment, message, and subscribe please!