Everybody Wants to Rule the World

A Heated Flame

Everybody Wants to Rule the World

Chapter 10 - A Heated Flame

I sat in Bran’s room sewing one of Rickon’s shirts as Lady Catelyn worked more on her craft. It was quiet in the room as we sat silently. Everyone left yesterday and Winterfell was falling into silence over the injury of young Bran. There was a soft knock on the door before Maester Luwin entered the room. Lady Catelyn looked up and nodded at him.

“It’s time we reviewed the accounts, my lady. You’ll want to know how much this royal visit has cost us,” Maester Luwin said as Catelyn stared at Bran.

“Talk to Poole about it,” she replied quietly.

“Poole went south with Lord Stark, my lady. We need a new steward, and there are several other appointments that require our immediate attention. . .” Maester Luwin trailed off as Lady Catelyn’s anger rose.

“I don’t care about appointments!” Lady Catelyn yelled as Robb entered the room.

“I’ll make the appointments. We’ll talk about it first thing in the morning,” Robb said as he walked over to me kissing y head lightly.

“Very good, my lord. My Ladies,” Maester Luwin said before he left the room.

“When was the last time you left this room?” Robb asked his mother as she looked up at him.

“I have to take care of him,” Lady Catelyn whispered not looking at Robb.

“He’s not going to die mother. Maester Luwin says the most dangerous time has passed. Morgana is also here to watch over Bran, you can go and rest and leave her and me to watch over him,” Robb sighed as I stayed quiet.

“What if he’s wrong? Bran needs me I am a mother I know how to take care of him,” Lady Catelyn said her voice raising her words hit me hard like a rock.

“Mother! Rickon needs you. He’s six. He doesn’t know what’s happening. He follows me around all day, clutching my leg, crying. . .” Robb said opening the window so you could hear Bran’s direwolf crying.

“Close the windows! I can’t stand it please make it stop!” Lady Catelyn yelled as she threw her things aside and ran out the room crying. Robb sighed turning back to the window as I watched him.

“Fire.” I heard Robb say in disbelief.

“There is a fire, you stay here, I’ll comeback,” Robb said before leaving the room quickly. I stood up placing Rickon’s tattered shirt on the chair as I walked over to the window. I saw men running around with buckets of water trying to put out the fire that was trying to grow. Out the corner of my eye I saw a man step into Bran’s room I turned quickly facing the intruder.

“You’re not supposed to be here. No one is supposed to be here. It’ a mercy. He’s dead already,” the man said through his teeth before lunging at me. I screamed throwing my hand out and pushing him back with a spell. My eyes burned yellow as the man stood up again and lunged forward once more. I didn’t have time to react this time as he tried to stab me with the knife. I grabbed the blade in my hand cutting my palm and I tried pushing the man back. My eyes flashed brighter yellow as I started heating the blade with an enchantment. The intruder cried out as the blade burned him and he released the blade it falling to the floor as I also released it. I went to attack the man again but before I could Summer jumped into the room and sunk his teeth into the mans neck. I fell back onto the floor and watched as the direwolf protected his master. I moaned in pain as I pulled my cut and burned hands into my lap. Lady Catelyn rushed in after hearing the commotion she froze in place taking in the scene before her.

“Bran?” She asked as she walked towards the bed. Summer had released the mans neck and layer down next to Bran.

“He’s fine,” I whispered cradling my hands. She nodded but still walked over to the boy and gently kissed his forehead.

“Are you alright Morgana?” Lady Catelyn asked as she stepped to the body that lay motionless on the floor.

“I’ve been better,” I joked as I stood up hiding my wounded hands. Lady Catelyn bent down to pick up the dagger but when she touched it she pulled away because of the heat.

“Thank you, for protecting my son,” Lady Catelyn said as she walked over to me.

“It’s my job to protect family, I couldn’t before and I definitely will now,” I said wincing slightly as my hands bumped each other.

“You are injured? That is your blood and not that killers isn’t it?” Lady Catelyn asked pulling my hands from behind my back.

“It is nothing Lady Catelyn just a few scratches, I’m fine,” I said as she touched the bleeding cutes delicately.

“I need Maester Luwin Immediately!” Lady Catelyn yelled out as some men were passing the door.

“My Lady he is healing the burns of the fire,” one replied as he stepped into the room but he froze in place at the blood and dead man before him. “I’ll get him right away My Lady and Lord Stark as well,” the man said hurriedly before running down the hall. Lady Stark sat me on a chair as she went to go and get a wet cloth to wipe away some of the blood. I clenched my teeth together with every soft wipe intensifying the pain.

“Mother what happened?” I heard Robb ask as he stepped into the room.

“Morgana was injured protecting Bran from this assassin,” Lady Catelyn said looking up from my hands. “She has deep cuts and burns on her hands Maester Luwin please tend to them,” Lady Catelyn continued standing up and walking back over to Bran who still laid asleep with Summer next to him.

“How did this happen?” Robb asked softly as Maester Luwin kneeled looking at the wounds.

“I grabbed the knife before he could stab me, I threw him away but he ran at me again and this time I heated the blade burning him and me in the processes but it made him let go, when I went to attack him Summer charged through the door and sunk his teeth into his neck,” I whispered as Maester Luwin applied ointment to my burns and wrapped my hands. “I couldn’t let him hurt Bran,” I added.

“And for that I am grateful,” Lady Catelyn thanked me as she returned to the dagger laying on the
ground. She bent down and picked in up with a cloth. “This dagger isn’t a poor assassins dagger, it is far too expensive, it was given to him by someone of good standing,” she added.

“For now let’s get some men to clean up the body and some chamber maids to clear away the blood, we all need rest and we will discuss this in the morning,” Robb said as Maester Luwin finished with my hands allowing me to stand up. “We have a lot of things to deal with in the morning everyone off to bed, that includes you mother. I will have someone stand guard outside Bran’s room but you must get sleep,” Robb ordered as he lead me out of the room followed by Maester Luwin. We walked quietly to the room the candle lit hallways lighting our path.

“Robb, I believe it was the Lannisters,” I said quietly as we entered the room.

“You have been through a lot tonight, let’s not talk about this now you need rest,” Robb requested shutting the door behind us.

“How was the fire?” I asked looking at his worried face.

“There wasn’t a lot of damage and only few injuries we put it out in time,” Robb assured as he slipped out of his shirt. I nodded and stepped behind my privacy cover to change, I slipped into my white night shift quickly and returned to bed where Robb waited for my to lay down.

“Things around us are changing quickly and I’m not ready to for it,” Robb whispered pulling me into
his chest.

“I don’t think anyone is ready for it,” I replied kissing his bare chest softly.

“Thank you for everything you’ve been doing for my mother she really needs you here to help her take care of Bran and Rickon,” Robb said as he kissed my head.

“Do you need me here also?” I asked looking up at him.

“More than anything, you will be the one person here keeping me sane,” Robb smiled as he rubbed my back.

“I love you,” I whispered against his lips.

“And I love you,” He replied kissing me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Short but more to come please enjoy!