Status: something.

Dear You

are you mine?

When the boys arrive at Pete's house Aubrey has a weird sense of nervousness. Pete squeezes her hand and tells her it'll be fine. Pete introduces her as nothing more than a friend, which she doesn't mind, but it doesn't exactly sit well with her considering what they had been doing earlier that afternoon. The boys all really enjoy her company, and Patrick is especially captivated by her personality. Aubrey takes a liking to him as well, and it makes Pete jealous even though he and Aubrey weren't labeled, and he had introduced her as a friend so technically she was fair game.

They eat at a diner downtown and go back to Patrick's house to watch movies late into the night. "You know, we could've done this at my place," Aubrey says as she snuggles herself between Pete and Patrick on the couch in Patrick's basement. "There'd certainly be more room."

"Well next time you officiate the plans then, bossy," Patrick chides, elbowing her lightly. Aubrey rolls her eyes.

"Fine, I will then. You're all just slackers, that's what it is!" She points at all of them. "Y'all don't know how to plan shit!"

Pete glares at Patrick, possessive over Aubrey. He's been off all night, not quite used to having to compete for her attention. He ends their stay with the boys shortly after midnight, saying he and Aubrey have to head out. Aubrey gets along with the boys well, and she's glad Pete has friends she can talk to and enjoys talking to. At the end of their long night she exchanges numbers with the guys, promising to make plans with them soon.

"What the hell was that about? We don't have anywhere to be," she grumbles as they get into Pete's car. Pete doesn't respond, keeping his eyes on the road as he comes to a stop at the red light just outside Patrick's neighborhood. "Pete? What's your problem?" Aubrey shoves his shoulder lightly. He turns to her, grabbing her jaw roughly in his hand to give her a hard kiss.

"I'm gonna take you back to your apartment and I'm gonna fuck the shit out of you. Okay?" He asks against her lips. Aubrey's heart rate spikes, a flush immediately making its way to her cheeks. She can't answer before the light turns green, and almost instantly Pete's back to being focused on the road, but his hand rests on her upper thigh, his fingers skimming just under the denim miniskirt she had changed into for their outing with the boys.

Aubrey can feel the tension as she fumbles with her keys, Pete pressing his lips against the side of her neck and her ear. "God I'm gonna fuck you senseless," he murmurs, his hand resting against the small of her back. Aubrey blushes again. Pete's not usually so forward about these types of things. Not with her anyway.

"Do you want anything to drink, Peter Lewis?" She asks, attempting to distract him.

"All I want is you," he tells her, following her into the kitchen. Pete starts kissing her, his hands traveling up under her tank top to run along her torso. "God do I want you." Aubrey's hands shake as she pours herself a glass of orange juice. Pete combs his fingers through her hair, sucking on her neck gently. "Come on, Aubs, I'm dying here," Pete whines. He watches Aubrey set her glass in the sink, finally turning to face him with a nervous expression. "What's wrong?" Pete's hands curl around her hips, burying his face in the crook of her neck.

"Nothin', Pete," she sighs, running her fingers through his hair. Pete's lips press against her collar bone, giving Aubrey shivers.

"Wanna come upstairs with me then?" Pete's voice gives Aubrey goosebumps.

"Y-yeah, Pete," she murmurs, letting him pull her to the stairs. She's a little apprehensive, seeing as they've only done this once before and it was earlier the same day. The exchange is a blur of kisses and tangled clothes and whispers. Aubrey is nervous, and Pete knows that, but he tries his hardest to quell her anxiety.

"It's okay, baby," he whispers repeatedly. "What's the matter?"

"Nothin', Pete," Aubrey repeats for the second time that night. "You just make me kinda nervous, that's all." She looks up at him with big eyes. "Not in a bad way. You just give me butterflies, you know?"

Pete smiles then, cupping her cheek in his hand. "Yeah, Aubs," he murmurs. "I know."

Aubrey can't sleep afterwards, no matter how hard she tries to focus on Pete's breathing or his arms around her. "Pete?" She sighs eventually. "You awake?" She doesn't expect an answer and is surprised when she hears Pete's voice.

"Yeah, I am. You can't sleep either?"

"Nope."

"What's going on, Aubrey?" Pete turns onto his side to face her, and he's never looked more handsome with his smudged eyeliner and face half buried in her pillow. "You know you can tell me anything."

"I dunno, Pete. I'm just. I'm just not okay with this."

"With what?" Pete brushes her hair from her forehead and Aubrey finds it harder to focus when he's touching her.

"Us, Pete," she whispers. "This wasn't...this isn't something I ever meant to happen. You're my best friend, Pete. But you're going away in a few days and I knew that going into this friendship and I love you but I don't want you to break my heart when you leave." Aubrey sits up, the comforter wrapped around her tightly. She jumps a little when she feels Pete's hand rest against her back. His fingers trail along her spine lightly, giving her skin goosebumps.

"Aubrey, I'd never do something like that to you. And I know you know that. I know I warned you about my previous behavior in the beginning, but again that's something you knew going into this. I want you Aubrey. I want you to be mine. You can take that however you want. I want you to be mine and I want to be yours."

Aubrey doesn't say anything, letting a long breath escape between her lips. Eventually she speaks. "You can't just say something like that, Pete." She turns to face him just as he sits up.

"What do you mean I can't say that? I can say whatever the fuck I want, Aubrey. I want you. Okay?" Pete's voice is harsh. "Is that hard to understand? I've wanted you since the moment I saw you."

"You can't tell me that when you're going to be leaving in a few days. You're not making it any easier for me. What am I supposed to do?"

"Do what you want to do, Aubrey. But I know how you feel about me, and I know how I feel about you."

"I want you Pete," she murmurs sadly. "I want you and I love you, but you're leaving and I don't know what will happen while you're gone."

Pete wraps his arm around Aubrey's shoulders. "I don't know what's gonna happen, Aubs. I'm being honest. I love you and you're my best friend, and I want to be with you. We don't have to...we don't have to label it or anything, if that makes you feel better. I'll be back at the end of the summer, we can see how we feel about each other. And it's not like you won't come on tour with us or anything. But I want to spend my last few days with you without having to worry about this stupid shit. You know? You're just...mine."

"And you're just...mine." Aubrey rests her head against the pillows again, doing her best to calm her nerves. Pete wants to be with her. Just the thought makes her want to puke. Someone so amazing wants to be with her. Pete's her best friend, Pete's her soul mate, but Aubrey can't help but think in the end all they'll do is destroy each other. She can't bring herself to tell Pete this, so she keeps the worry tucked in the back of her mind.

"I love you so much, Aubrey," Pete murmurs in her ear, wrapping his arm around her waist. Her worries fade just at the sound of Pete's voice. Even in her darkest moments, Pete is her sun.

Aubrey turns to face Pete, cuddling into his chest. "I love you too, honeycomb head," she says quietly, and never has she felt so content telling Pete this. And maybe they don't know exactly what they are, but their each others', and for now that's more than enough.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay so the title is totally from R U Mine by the Arctic Monkeys but I didn't want to spell it like that obvi. Anyway, what do you think will happen when Pete goes away? Will he stay faithful to Aubrey even though they're not labeled? Will Aubrey stay faithful to Pete? Will they grow apart? I hope not, but who knows. Thank you for reading, I can't wait to see your predictions! :) -ali