I Knew You Were Trouble

001

I awoke to the smell of pancakes and bacon. Riley, my best friend and roommate, was cooking breakfast once again for us. She was the best friend a girl could ask for.

“Liv, come down stairs.” She called out.

“Be right there.” I yelled back at her.

We just moved into our new apartment and it was wonderful! It actually had two bedrooms unlike our last apartment. We were definitely making progress!

“Good morning! Did you sleep well?”

“I did. Thanks for making breakfast.” I said with a smile.

“You’re very welcome. Oh by the way, have you seen our new neighbor? Just moved in yesterday.” Riley asked me as she peeked out the window.

“No? Why are you spying on our neighbors?” I said as I got up to look out the window.

“Isn't he beautiful?" She let out a sigh.

“He's way out of our league." I said.

“Damn it, he’s taken.” Riley said as we watched a ridiculously beautiful woman kiss the extremely gorgeous man.

“I’m going to go introduce myself.” Riley said as she checked out her appearance in the nearby mirror.

“What’s the point? He’s taken, remember?”

“So? It’s harmless to introduce myself. After all they are our new neighbors!” She exclaimed.

“At least give them a ‘welcome into the neighborhood gift’ first.” I said jokingly.

“Great idea!” She said as she began pulling ingredients out of the fridge.

“What are you going to do? Cook for them?”

No, I’m going to bake for them."

I rolled my eyes and shoved a piece of bacon into my mouth.

“I’m going to head over to their apartment. Do you want to come?” She asked me.

I shook my head, “I don’t want to get involved in anything that you’re trying to do.”

“Your loss.”

I watched as she walked over to their apartment and the door swung open. She was talking and laughing with the incredibly hot neighbor for what seemed like ages.

“Oh my God Olivia, he’s perfect,” She was so excited, “I have to have him!”

“Once again, he’s taken.”

“I don’t care, I’m in love!”

I rolled my eyes, it was like she was fourteen again.

“Alright well I have to get to work.”

--

It was a cold winter day in Colorado. It had to at least snowed two or three inches and it was very slick outside. As I was walking to my car, of course clumsy me, slipped on ice and fell.

“Are you okay?” I hear as two hands grab my waist and pull me up off of the ground. It was him.

I felt my cheeks turn a shade of pink, “Thank you, I’m okay.” I said trying as hard as possible not to make eye contact with him.

He was so gorgeous.

“You’re my neighbor right?” He asked, “I just moved in, your roommate, Riley mentioned you.”

“Oh.” Of course she did, I thought.

“I’m Adam.” He said with a grin.

“Olivia.” I said as I shook his hand.

“Nice to meet you Olivia.” He smiled.

“You too.” We stood in silence for a few seconds. I am so unbelievably awkward.

“I’ll let you go, don’t want you to be late for wherever you’re headed to.”

“Ok, I’ll see you around.”

“Definitely.” He said

Definitely? What was that supposed to mean? Does he want to see me again? No that’s ridiculous. Now I was just overthinking.

--

It was around 9:30 pm and it was freezing outside. I just got home from work and as I was walking to my apartment I was extra careful not to slip and fall this time. I got to my front door and pulled out my keys and of course, me being me, I dropped them. I reached down to pick them up but another hand beat me to it.

“Thanks.” I mumbled.

“Oh no problem.” Adam said with his gorgeous grin.

He seemed to always be around to help me. Without thinking, I asked if he’d like to come in for a beer. He raised his eyebrow at me, showing he was a bit surprised that I had invited him in.

“As much as I’d love to,” He looked back at his front door, “I have to get back to Sam, my wife.”

He’s married

I was embarrassed.

“Oh, I understand. Maybe another time.”

He stared at me for what felt like forever.

“Okay, maybe just one.” He said.

“You can,” I was going to kill myself for saying this, “You can bring your wife over if you’d like” I said with a smile

He rubbed the back of his neck and gave me a slightly confused look, “Ok, I’ll go and get her.”

I nodded and told him I'd leave the door unlocked for him, so just come in.

“Riley,” I shouted, no answer “Riley!!!”

“What? Where’s the fire?” She said as she came out of her bedroom.

“He is coming over!”

“Who?”

“Adam.” I said with a smile.

“He is coming over, right now?”

“Yes, but he’s bringing her…” I said with a frown.

“Miss Olivia, do you have a crush on this guy?”

“No, I don’t!” I said as I pulled out four beers

We heard a knock on the door and we both looked at each other.

“He’s here.” I whispered.

“Oh my God Olivia, you like him.” She chuckled and opened the front door.

“Hello neighbors.” She said.

They greeted her, "Sorry, I couldn't bring myself to just come in." Adam said with an awkward chuckle and entered our apartment. Adam looked over at me and smiled.

“Olivia, this is Sam, my wife.” He said.

His wife was so pretty; I could see how she landed him.

“It’s very nice to meet you.” I said as I extended my hand out to her.

She looked at my hand but didn’t shake it, “You too.”

But, boy was she a bitch.

We found out that Adam is twenty-five, he is a veterinarian and he is the sweetest guy I've ever met. His wife was twenty-four and worked as a pharmacist at a local drug store, on the other hand, she was very rude and snobby and apparently hated beer.

He was perfect; the night was going well until my cat, Zoe, jumped into Adam’s lap. He was so enthused that I had a cat, and he immediately loved her.

“You have a cat?” Samantha, Adam’s wife asked, “I’m severely allergic to cats, baby we have to leave now.”

He looked at me and put Zoe down on the floor, “It’s getting late anyways, thank you for having us over.”

“Oh no problem, sorry about my cat.” I mumbled.

“It’s fine, what was your name again?” Sam asked rudely.

I opened my mouth to answer but Adam beat me to it, "Olivia, her name is Olivia. Don't be so rude." He whispered, but just loud enough for us to her.

She left in a hurry scooting Adam out of the door.

“Well wasn’t she lovely?” Riley asked sarcastically.

“Very.” I replied.

“Now how did someone like him end up with someone like her?” Riley asked.

“She’s hot, there’s nothing more to it.”

“I’m definitely going to go for him.” Riley stated once again.

Riley said goodnight to me and headed to bed. I on the other hand was a night owl, I stayed up for a bit longer.

It was around midnight when I heard a knock at our door, “Adam?”

“I’m sorry I know it’s late. I just wanted to apologize on behalf of my…” he hesitated, “wife, sometimes she doesn’t have a filter.”

“It’s okay Adam.” I said with a smile.

He looked at his front door and whispered to me, “Would you mind if I came in for a little bit?”

I looked surprised, “Um I'm-”

“Never mind, I shouldn’t, it's late. I shouldn’t have even asked it's not-“

“Yes, come in.” I said.

I made us some tea and we sat on the couch and we got to know each other. I think he just really needed a friend

Maybe more…
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm pretty excited for this story to blossom!