Status: In Progress (Comments/Suggestions Welcomed)

Rikers Island Jail Football Program

No Sleep

Connie had to double take at her alarm clock. She rubbed her eyes in disbelief as she realized that it was actually 4 in the morning.

She had been up non-stop since learning that her team had managed to actually score a touchdown after she bolted from the sidelines in the Air Force game. After playing so poorly all season, Connie could not rationalize how they had managed to pull that off.

Connie had fled the game with injured quarterback Wallace Brunner as he was rolled to the jail’s Medical Ward to get his knee examined. After evaluating Brunner’s knee all afternoon, most of the Medical staff feared that Brunner had torn his ACL. This was horrible news to Connie as Brunner had demonstrated the ability to actually gain yards against Air Force’s defense.

If Brunner had in fact tore his ACL, Connie would have her work cut out for her as she had absolutely no faith in backup quarterback Gary Donaldson.

While losing Brunner for the season was definitely on her mind, the main thing that Connie couldn’t figure out was how her team had managed to score without her. Had Claude really called all of the trick plays that had worked so well?

After such a poor coaching performance against Army, Connie couldn’t imagine how Claude had all of a sudden figured out how to coach.

She watched replay after replay of the scoring drive. So many questions came to her mind. Why was Devon Howard the quarterback? Why was the starting center Steve Wilson replaced? Who came up with these original trick plays?

Her head was spinning as she yet again re-watched the replay.

Connie soon abandoned all hope of sleep and started a pot of coffee. She quickly returned to her computer. After a few more replays, she decided that it was time for her to move on despite the fact that she was no closer to figuring out what had happened now, then she was when she started watching the replays.

Connie wasn’t looking forward to the next item on her agenda. She had compiled a list of every player that was going to get kicked off of the team following their antics in the last game.

D’Juan Bo Bo, the team captain and vocal leader of the team was first on the list. Connie cringed as she thought about the impact of kicking Bo Bo off the team. Bo Bo was well liked, and possessed some of the best talent on defense.

However, Connie knew that she needed to be strong and make an example out of him. She decided that she’d officially announce his release from the team later that day.

Connie also would officially kick starting center Steve Wilson off the team. Wilson had struck teammate Devon Howard over the head with a Gatorade cooler while on the sideline.

Devon hadn’t woken up last time Connie had checked. She quickly jotted down a note to remind herself to stop by the Medical Ward and see Devon later that day.

While Connie didn’t understand why Wilson had lashed out at the seemingly innocent Devon Howard, his actions warranted release from the team.

She hung her head as she glanced at her depleted depth chart. All of the injuries, suspensions, and releases had taken its toll on an already thin team.

Next, Connie evaluated the injury report. Starting quarterback Wallace Brunner was likely out for the rest of the season. Running back Blair McCormick remained out following a shanking injury, and there was still no timetable on his return. Wide receiver Devon Howard was still knocked out after getting attacked by Steve Wilson on the sideline. Connie could only shake her head as she looked over her poor offense.

Connie fully expected the NCAA to announce suspensions for multiple players on her team as well. Kicker Wes Shultz, and Fullback Marshall Eaton would likely be suspended multiple games for their fist fight with each other during the Air Force game. Starting center Steve Wilson could get a season long suspension for his violent attack of teammate Devon Howard.

As she began crossing off all of the names from the preseason depth chart, rage came over Connie. She had a substancially worse team than what she had started with. The season had already been a nightmare and she feared it was about to get way worse.

As Connie’s eye began to twitch, she threw her hands up and decided that it was time to take a relaxing hot shower to try to calm herself before she flipped out.