Status: In Progress (Comments/Suggestions Welcomed)

Rikers Island Jail Football Program

Bribery

Connie was having trouble pulling herself away from her computer following her shower. Hours passed as she continued to watch the play where Rikers Island had managed to actually score a touchdown. She knew that she had watched it thousands of times throughout her night of no sleep, but she still couldn’t figure out what happened.

As lunchtime approached, Connie finally turned off her computer and forced herself to get up and start her day. She had a lot to get done today, so she couldn’t simply watch the replay over and over, regardless how much she wanted to.

Connie browsed her ‘to-do list’ and sighed as none of it was something that she was looking forward to. She elected to choose to start her day off by meeting with Derricka Rose, Co-Captain of the Rikers Island Cheerleading Squad, to see if she had any helpful tips on leadership.

Derricka had taken control of the cheerleading team following a disasterous performance in the Rikers Island first game against Navy. Confidently, Derricka had guided the team and shown them how to put on an exciting show.

She had also continued to improve the show from week to week, which was impressive, considering the lack of talent that she is working with.

Connie was impressed by Derricka’s ability to lead her team and put on a solid show, so Connie hoped that meeting with Derricka would allow her to gain some insight as to how Derricka managed to pull it off.

Connie arrived at the visitation center, and the officers summoned Derricka. She soon appeared, and looked a little shocked to see Connie waiting to talk with her. Her shock soon turned to an evil grin as Connie began explaining why she had come.

Connie praised Derricka, and said that she envied her leadership qualities and the results that she had gotten from a team that lacked talent. Connie begged Derricka to help her out by telling her what she needed to do in order to succeed too.

Derricka rocked back in her chair, with a smug grin on her face. She seemed flattered that Connie had picked up on her leadership skills, but there was also more to it. Derricka wasn’t about to offer up her advice for free.

“Seems like you want me to help you out, huh? I can do that. What’s in it for me?” Derricka smirked.

Connie was blown away by Derricka’s cavalier attitude. She expected Derricka to be flattered by her compliments, and glady share her secrets with her. She hadn’t seen that response from Derricka coming.

“What do you want?” Connie couldn’t imagine what Derricka could possibly think that she was going to get, but she asked nonetheless.

Derricka chuckled. She was now grinning ear-to-ear, confident that she was in complete control of the conversation.

“You see, Coach Jenkins… I happen to have a big problem. A really big problem, actually. It is currently sitting in solitary confinement. If this problem were to find its way out of solitary confinement, she…I mean 'it'…would ruin everything that I’ve worked oh so hard to accomplish. Are we on the same page here?”

Connie knew exactly what Derricka was talking about. Fu Fu Brown, the other Co-Captain of the cheerleading squad.

Connie just stared at Derricka who was beaming at her, wondering what Derricka was going to propose that Connie do to Fu Fu.

“Yep, I know. Fu Fu Brown, so what?”

Derricka’s happiness faded quickly as she started on her demand.

“Let’s say, a certain coach of a certain team, who has the power to kick people off the team for good, were to kick this problem of mine off the team for good…. That would put me in a great mood and would definitely get me to share my secrets of how I lead successfully.”

Connie was blown away by the proposal. Sure, Fu Fu was not a likeable person, but Fu Fu was extremely passionate about the cheerleading squad.

Flashes of past conversations with “The Warden” ran through her mind, as she remembered her late husband saying that he dreamed of a day where the inmates at Rikers would wake up with passion and hope of a better tomorrow.

Fu Fu exemplified this dream of “The Warden’s” and Connie wasn’t about to kick her off just to suit Derricka.

Extremely let down, Connie snapped at Derricka.

“That’s not going to happen! Words cannot express how let down I am today. I came to meet with you to compliment you, and let you know that I respected you, and your leadership. I now regretfully have to say that I take it all back. You are evil, and manipulative and I can’t stand for that.”

Derricka seemed unphased by Connie’s remarks. She even chuckled when Connie called her evil. The chuckle had infuriated Connie, so she didn’t stop there.

“You are right, I do have a lot of power around here. Guess what! I’m about to use that power to get Fu Fu out of solitary. The power of being the only captain on the Cheerleading squad has clearly gotten to your head, so I think that it’s time to help even things back out. I’ll stop by there today and pull some strings and make that happen. I’m sure Fu Fu will be glad to see what you’ve done with the team.”

Anger came across Derricka’s face. She absolutely hated Fu Fu, and was actually convinced that her evil plot may get Fu Fu kicked off for good. She hadn’t expected Connie to turn on her, and actually stand up for Fu Fu.

Derricka could only hang her head as Connie got up and patted her on the back as she made her way out of the room to go get Fu Fu freed.

Derricka was so mad that she felt like flipping the table over and throwing the chairs up against the wall. She got herself together though because she knew the guards watching her had tasers and pepper spray.

Still, Derricka’s blood boiled as she thought about how Fu Fu’s return was going to totally and completely wreck her team….