Status: In Progress

Indigo Sky

We Danced All Night

Chapter Ten: We Danced All Night
*Nikki’s POV

For the first time in my life, I felt like a rockstar.

I mean, it’s one thing to move to LA and sign a piece of paper saying that you have a record deal. That was pretty cool but it doesn’t seem real. And signing in a tiny sound booth room with no one around is still sort of surreal. We did that back in Chicago when we made our demo. But making a music video! With people doing your hair and makeup and filming you! That sort of made me realize that this was real. We were doing this, we were making music professionally.

Making a video is so much fun! The individual scenes had been a blast and now we were going to do the rooftop scenes where we rock out playing our song (number 32 right now on the American top 40, thank you very much).

They makeup they had done on me was really cool. I’ve never felt so pretty in my whole life. I don’t really wear that much make up in real life, like just a little mascara and some lip gloss. So it’s a little weird to have so much makeup caked across my face, but at the same I have to admit that I like it.

There was some difficulty with the camera and so we were waiting up on the rooftop while they worked on it. It was starting to get later in the day and I stifled a yawn, we’d been here since six in the morning and I knew it was already past six at night. If it got dark, would we keep going? I’ve heard stories about how long video shoots can take but I guess I didn’t realize the waiting time involved in it. And since there are four of us, when one of the other girls is shooting, we’re just sort of waiting around.

Finally, they called us to take our places and we started shooting. I don’t know if the delay had out our director, Alan, in a bad mood, but he wasn’t happy with the scene and kept stopping us to start over. I think everyone was starting to get cranky because we’ve all been here for hours. We would get like 30 seconds into the song and he would call cut. He said that it wasn’t portraying the right emotion, what the hell did that mean? I didn’t know what he was really looking for from us.

I was also starting to feel a little bad for Alexa, who had to be freezing up here in that tiny little outfit. Maybe we weren’t portraying the right emotion because all she could think about was that she was freezing her tits off. I chuckled to myself, looking down to hide my smile.

“What are you laughing about?” Callie hissed, shooting a look at me.

I just shook my head. “You don’t want to know.”

We took a break and Mark, who had been supervising all day, went to talk to Alan. The five of us came together to have a pow wow.

“What are we doing wrong?” I asked, biting my lower lip. I hated to think that maybe we weren’t going to make a cool music video after all. Maybe Mark was over there telling Alan that he was giving up on us. I really didn’t want to disappoint Mark, he was the one who believed in us.

Bree just shrugged, but she was chewing on her thumb nail, which I know is one of her nervous habits. “I don’t know what they’re looking for us to do in this scene.”

“Guys,” Callie suggested, breaking us out of our thoughts. “Let’s forget about the cameras for the next take. Let’s just pretend that we’re in a club performing for a crowd. Like we’re still some sucky unsigned band from Illinois trying to prove ourselves and make it.”

We all kind of stuck our hands out and touched each other.

Bree was the first one to laugh. “That was so Power Rangers.” She joked, and then we all just cracked up.

But whatever Callie had suggested seemed to do the trick. Because when Alan called us back to take the shot again, we nailed it.

“Perfect!” Alan yelled. “You girls just finished your first music video!”

We cheered and headed back into the trailer to change out of the borrowed clothes and head home. The atmosphere for the whole crew suddenly became very relaxed and happy. It was amazing to think that we had just made a music video.

“Can you believe it?” I said, sagging into a chair with my shoes untied on my feet. “If you had told me six months ago that we would be shooting a music video in LA I would have laughed in your face.”

Callie turned and smiled at me. “She’s right, you guys, we should be really proud of ourselves.”

“We should celebrate, let’s go out.” Bree suggested as we shrugged back into our normal attire of jeans and tank tops and Converse sneakers.

I frowned as she and Lex immediately started talking about what club to sneak into. “I don’t think that’s such a good idea.” I told them, crossing my arms across my chest. It’s one thing for Lex and Bree to have drinks at a house party or at a restaurant with friends, but this fake id and sneaking into clubs thing has got to stop.

Bree just turned to me. “What?” She demanded.