Status: On Hold

From Friends to Lovers

I see you for you

“Hey Chris, we have a problem…..”
“What do you mean, Chloe?”
“It’s just me and Vanessa here, she’s locked herself in her room and she’s up set. She won’t let me in; can you come talk to her maybe?”
“Yeah, of course. I’ll be there as soon as I can.”
“Thank you so much, Chris!”
“Anything for Nessa.”

I clicked end and rushed around my hotel room grabbing my jacket and other things I might need and headed out to the parking lot. I didn’t want to get a ticket but holy mother, this was taking forever. A block away from Vanessa’s place there was cops, I quickly parked and pushed my way into the building and took the stairs to her floor.

“Sir, you can’t be here.” An officer told me when I finally got to her floor and to her door, “My best friend is there!” I told him harshly, “Chris!” I looked away from him to see Chloe, I rushed passed him and wrapped my arms around her before pulling back and look her over. “What’s going on?” She shook her head before ushering me through the door.

In the middle of the living room stood Vanessa’s mother, Nikki Carter, and Vanessa’s manager, Madison Wells; they were talking to some reporters. I looked around the room to find Vanessa, when I didn’t find her I looked down at Chloe, “Where is she?” I was terrified of the answer, what if something happened? What if she was hurt, or worse? “She’s in her room, she-”Chloe was interrupted by Nikki, “What are you doing here?” She asked after quickly giving Chloe a glare, “Vanessa needed me.” I told her honestly; she started talking about how I wasn’t needed and could go, I blocked her out when I heard voices from the hallway.

‘Miss Storm, please step away from the ledge.” I didn’t recognize the voice, it was female.
‘Just get away from me.’ That was Vanessa.

Without a second glance to Nikki and Madison I rushed down the hall with Chloe hot on my heels. I quickly walked into her room to see a few cops standing around and three firefighters. A female cop was standing in the doorway that leads to the balcony. “Vanessa.” Chloe choked out as Nikki and Madison ran into the room, “Oh god, I hope they get a good angle of her.” I heard Nikki say to Madison quietly, so I turned my head and looked down at her.

“You mean to tell me, your daughter is about to jump and all you are worried about is the fucking press getting a ‘good angle’? You are pathetic.” I spat before taking off my jacket, handing it to Chloe, and then walking over and speaking to the guy that looked like he was in charge. After pleading with him, he finally told the woman officer that I was going to try to talk to her.

“Nessa.” I said hoarsely, “Sweetheart.” I heard her mumble a ‘Chris’ before hearing her sob, “Oh darling, what happened?” I stopped behind her but didn’t dare try and touch her, “Have you not seen the news?” She spoke softly. I wracked my brain then realized she was talking about the sex tape.

“Oh Nessa, it’s alright. People will get over it soon, you know how Hollywood is! They will ride on this for a few weeks then changed to a new topic.” I said with a light laugh, trying to make her less unhappy. “Chris, you don’t believe that.” She said with a sob, “Hey, look at me.” I said softly stepping to the left; she turned her head making me grin. “There she is.” I reached out and placed my hand on top of hers, “I will be here to get you through this, you know that.”

“I can’t do this anymore, Chris. No sees me they only see what my manager and mother make me out to be. I don’t get to write any of my songs or dress the way I want, I don’t have control of my life anymore. There has to be something wrong with me! I just – I can’t do this, I don’t want to do this anymore.”

“Vanessa, you listen to me. I see you for you, not what they say on the news or anywhere else. I see you for the kind, beautiful woman that always has a smile on her face. I love you the way you are, Ness. You are perfect in every way possible, nothing and I mean nothing is wrong with you. You want to have control of your life again? Take it. Don’t let anyone boss you around, don’t let some piece of trash who would be so petty as to release a sex video get to you! Because that’s what he wants, he wants you to hurt. You are my best friend, Vanessa. I don’t know what I would do without you in my life.”

After a few moments I felt her grip on the railing tighten and watched as she slowly started to shift so she could climb back over. “Are you kidding me? Now the press will never get any shots of this!” I heard Madison complain behind me, before I could even think about looking over at her; Vanessa’s foot slipped and she lost her footing.

I quickly grabbed her hand, “Oh my god!” Chloe yelled, I heard people rushing around. “Can you pull her up, son?” I gulped and nodded before smiling softly at the scared woman below me, “It’s okay, honey! I got you, just don’t look down. Okay?” I called sweetly, “O-o-kay!” She yelled back, with all my strength I pulled – and with the help of the officers, we got her back onto the balcony. She crashed into me and started sobbing, “Thank you, Chris! Thank you so much!” She sobbed into my chest as she sunk to the ground.

“You never have to thank me; I will always be here for you.” I said and kissed the top of her head; Chloe walked over and wiped my face with her thumbs before wrapping her arms around Vanessa’s back, both girls sobbing.

A few hours later Vanessa, who was cuddled up in my lap, Chloe and Nikki were sitting in the living room while Madison was outside talking to the press about the whole scene. Nikki hasn’t asked one time if Vanessa is okay, Chloe at one point was cuddled into my side so that she could hug onto Vanessa.

“When do you go back to Australia, Chris?” Chloe asked breaking the silence, “Monday actually.” I said with a nod, “I don’t want you to go.” The tiny British woman in my arms spoke making me look down at her and smile sadly, an idea popped into my head – “You should go with me, get your mind off of things.” She lifted her head and smiled, “I would love that.” I grinned at her watching her eyes dart all over my face.

“Uh no, you have work.” Her mother snapped never looking up from her phone, “I can always do it from his house.” Nessa said looking over at her mother, “And where is ‘his house’ exactly?” Madison asked as she walked back into the room, “Australia, Chris asked me to go with him to get my mind off things.” Madison laughed as she sat down beside of Nikki, “Well you can get that idea out of your head, you aren’t going anywhere.” My eyebrows knitted thought, who do they think they are? Did they not see her almost try to kill herself a few hours ago? I think time off is in order.

“I think it would be good for her.” Chloe said backing us up, “Well good thing you aren’t paid to think, girl.” Madison scoffed, “Not to be rude, but do neither of you realize that Vanessa almost killed herself earlier?” They both looked at each other before looking at me, “Yes, and you ruined press shots with your stupid hero act. Well done, Thor.” Nikki snarled looking up at me finally, “You are horrible, honestly. You don’t own her.”

“I’m her mother.” I rolled my eyes, “She’s a grown woman.” One point for Chris. “I’m her manager.” I laughed at this, making me sit up straight and move Vanessa from my lap, “A shitty one at that! Manager, meaning you work for her, she doesn’t work for you. If I was her you would be fired after your lack of care for her wellbeing. She’s going with me, and that’s final. If you have a problem with that, don’t bother us with it.” I snapped standing to my feet and following Vanessa and Chloe out of the apartment and down to my car, “You two staying with me?” I questioned as they slipped on their seat belts, “Slumber party!” Chloe squealed from the back as Vanessa slipped her hand into mine.