Status: Finished, check out the sequel

How Many Times Can You Race Around the Tree Before You Catch Me?

Fault

Josh chuckled.

“Well maybe we can throw you one sometime.” I went to respond but was promptly cut off by Kevin and Lisa all but jumping in front of us.

“Are you ok?” Kevin asked.

“I’m going to the hospital now. It’s probably just some broken bones.” They both look mortified.

“Tomorrow, Come to the bus and talk with me. If I’m not there check production.” He understood that I was in a rush, despite my inability to actually be in a rush.

“I will. We need to talk about the 18th and the altpress awards."

He let me go after he confirmed with a nod.

Ricky, Rich and Shane met us at the entrance to the venue with my stuff.

“Thanks, I’ll see you guys tomorrow.” They left just Josh, Vinny, and me as the Uber pulled up.

“Just help me in and I’ll see you guys tomorrow.” Vinny just looked at Josh.

“Vinny is going with you. Bus call isn’t for a coupe of hours.” With that Josh left.

“You don’t have to come…” I reminded Vinny

“I didn’t have to,” He helped me into the small sedan and got in behind me,” I wanted to.

Vinny asked the driver to take us to the nearest hospital. He paid and helped me inside to a chair before grabbing the papers for me to fill out. Looking around I saw only one other person in the ER. It was an older man, he looked quite frazzled. I wouldn’t dare ask him what was wrong though.

“Alright, he said they should bring you in within the next ten minutes. So let’s divide and conquer.” He handed me half of the paper work and a pen while he had the other half.

We both went through the papers as fast as we can, but they still called me in before we were done. They had Vinny stay to do the paper work while they brought me into the back.

“Alright so where is the pain?” The nurse pulled a few x ray boards out.

“My side, the right one, my hands, and my nose.” She gave me an odd look.

“Sounds,” I removed my shirt for the x ray,” and looks like you took a beating.” I chucked.

“You should see the other guy.” She smiled and placed the board on a wall mount.

“Alright face me and hold still.” She placed me and went back behind the wall. I heard a small buzz and click before she came back.

“This time face that wall.” She placed me so that my left side was against the wall before she went back behind the wall.

She repeated positioning for the other side before seating me down to take X-rays of both my hands. Then they moved me into another room for an MRI of my torso and face.
“Are there any other issues we need to address?” I shrugged.

“Not right this second.” She escorted me back out into the lobby where Vinny was sitting.

“What did they say?” He asked as I sat down next to him.

“They just took X-rays and an MRI. The doctor is going to look at them and then they’ll call me back.” He shrugged.

We sat in silence for quite sometime. He kept biting his nails while I played a mean game of 2048. That silence was interrupted by both of our stomachs growling. I know I hadn’t eaten since yesterday, I had no idea what his food situation was.

“Hungry?” He asked.

“Yeah, but I swear to god if I have to eat the food here I murder someone.” He chuckled.

“Well that’s our only option Jax.”

“No it’s not,” I reminded him,” that’s a Chipotle the next block over. If you hurry you can get food.” He gave me an unhappy look.

“I’m not leaving until we’re done here.” I reacted like a child and threw my head back.

“I’am starving. Pleaseeeeee.” my hands gripped his arm like a child and shook him gently.

“No, they’ll call you in by the time I leave.”

“No, we’ll probably sit here for so long that we’ll make everyone late for bus call,” He sighed,” Pleaseeeeeee” He finally stood.

“text me what you want.” And he left, clearly no happy that I had made him leave.

“Whatever.” My fingers flew over the keyboard as I spelled out what I want before putting the device back into my pocket.

Whatever had gotten into him needed to go away. It’s not my fault that I’m injured, I came to the hospital so he needs to calm down.

Unless he’s mad that I didn’t see him until i was about to go on stage. That still isn’t my fault.

“Ajax Delaney?” I looked over to see the nurse.

I guess he was just going to be more mad.

Standing, I pulled out my phone to text Vinny that I was sent in.

“So, I’m going to brief you on the issues that have surfaced as we walk,” She looked over her clipboard and started leading me into the elevator,” When we looked over your X-rays we saw damage to your cheek bone and nose. Both will heal on their own over time. I’m assuming that someone reset your nose?” I nodded.

“They did a great job," she smiled at me,”the more serious injuries that we’ll have to intervene on include two fractured ribs, two bruised ribs, an extremely angulated boxers fracture in your right hand with three accompanying fractures along various other bones in your hands.” My eyes widened as I zoned her out to think.

Bryce had surely done a number on me and I can only imagine what Bryce was feeling.

She lead me out of the elevator and down the hall to an exam room. The walls were the sickly white you would expect from a hospital and adorned with the many simple instruments that exam rooms usually have. This one just also had several monitors, the light walk with X-rays, drawers, other machines and the doctor.

“Hello Ms. Delaney,” She stuck out her hand for me to shake,” I’m doctor Gonzalez.” I looked back at the nurse, but she wasn’t there.

“Go ahead and change into the gown please.” I looked down at the bed and saw the gown.

“Where-“ I cut myself off when I saw the second door, must be the bathroom.

I changed quickly and then came back out.

“Someone took a beating.” She commented as I sat down on the bed.

Her eyes were focused on the illuminated X-rays attached to the wall. I could see some of the breaks myself. It looked awful.

“So what do we have to do?” She sighed and sat back down on the doctor’s stool.

“Well your ribs we can’t do much about. You’re feeling a high amount of pain so I’ll prescribe a heavy painkiller and then ibuprofen for when it’s not too bad. Your various hand and wrist injuries will be much harder to “fix”” She brought her hand up to make air quotations.

“Meaning?”

She stood and walked back over to the X-rays.

“Your left wrist has a fracture in this bone.” She pointed it out so I could see what she was talking about.

“When fractures occur in this area we have to be especially careful. This one in particular has a tendency for the bone to break off and die. It can then turn into a health hazard and it’s not good. That is going to have to be surgically removed.” I threw my head back. I was screwed.

“What else?” I heard the chair squeak as it moved but I didn’t look up.

“Both hands have minor breaks in the Metacarpals. In your left hand that can be fixed with the same removable cast I’ll be giving you for your post surgery wrist to heal. In your right hand you have a boxer’s fracture with severe angulation in your fourth and fifth metacarpal of your pinky. That accompanies the same minor breaks and fractures that you have in your left hand.”

I looked up at her. This was going to destroy my ability to play guitar and I knew it.

“The fix for a boxer’s fracture is to dislocate your pinky and then place a screw through your fourth and fifth metacarpals to keep them together.” I cringed at the very thought.

“How long is this gonna take?” If it needs to be done, it needs to be done now. It’s almost eleven.

“Three hours in surgery for both hands and overnight observation, assuming you haven’t eaten anything.” I took a deep breathe.

“Do what you have to do, but I’m not staying for observation.”

“I would severely advise against that, something could-“

“Look, I have a job to do,” I cut her off,” and I understand the risks associated with leaving without observation. My boyfriend will be back any second, you can show him what to do if I’m not awake yet. I don’t mean to be rude but the last few days have been hard and I can’t miss work.” The room was silent for a few minutes as she must stared at me.

“I’ll have the nurse prep you for surgery.” She left the room and I immediately called Josh.

“Hey, everything ok?” All I did was groan.

“Go get Christian, have him just come with you guys. Vinny won’t leave and I’m about to go into surgery.” I heard movement and a door closing.

“Surgery? What the fuck did you do?” He chuckled.

“I have to have a piece of bone removed and then two reset.”He sighed.

“Holy shit,” there was movement and I vaguely heard him tell someone to go get Christian,” How long is the surgery gonna take, we don’t have to leave yet.” I heard a small uprising as they all questioned the surgery part of what he had said.

“It’s three hours but they’re still trying to keep me for overnight observation,” The nurse came in,”I have to go, they’re prepping me. Can you tell my guy to stay behind if bus call comes and we’re not good to go please?”

He agreed and I got off the phone quickly to send a text to Vinny with what room I was in.

“Can my boyfriend just come see me really quick?” She nodded.

“You have a little bit of time.”

I didn’t need very much, seeing as how Vinny came sprinting up and through the doors.

“Surgery?!”

It took me a good ten minutes to calm him down.

“I’m sorry but we have to bring you to the OR.” I looked at Vinny.

“It’s just a few hours. I already called Josh, it’s all going to be fine ok?” He was going to fight it but couldn’t because they moved me.

“Now I need you to go downstairs, eat your food, and try and get some sleep ok? Everything is minor and there’s no risk. OK?” He sighed and nodded before getting up.

“I’ll see you in a few hours.” He kissed my cheek and went back downstairs.

“A year?” I gave the nurse a confused look as she hung up another bag for my IV.

“what?” She chuckled.

“I was guessing a year, on how long you’ve been together. He’s very protective of you.” My mouth formed into a tight line.

“We’ve been together for three weeks.” She looked extremely surprised at my admission.

“Yeah. When you’re pretty much living together that happens.” She poked the needle through my skin and let the fluid drip begin.

“You’ll probably start to feel fuzzy.” Her words seem to hit me hard that any brick ever would. My eyes crossed, my head fell back, and the room started to go black.