Status: Finished, check out the sequel

How Many Times Can You Race Around the Tree Before You Catch Me?

Trust

VINNY

“Sit here my ass” I grumbled as my body plopped down on the waiting room chair.

They had sent me to a different room while I waited for her to come out of the surgery. The doctor walked me down here and explained that she would bring me back up for healing instructions and to help make sure Jax would be calm when she woke up.

As time passed, I eventually ate my Chipotle and had nearly killed my phone playing games. The final hour had me look through the magazines. Until I saw Jax’ phone going off. When I saw it was Mikey, I figured it was ok to answer.

“Hello?”

“Is she awake yet?” My eyes caught the clock on the wall. She had less than an hour left of surgery.

“No, but she did ask you guys to stay. That’s why she sent Christian in my place.” He groaned.

“Well Dictator Jackass isn’t going to let that happen.”

“Who?” My curiosity peaked.

“Bryce, he woke up and demanded we leave. Honestly, as soon as we can we’re sending him to deal with Jake and getting Andrew back. Possibly tonight.” There was some shouting and a bang.

“Tonight.” There was a small smirk on my face now.

“So you’re getting Andrew back?” ‘mm-hmm’ is what I heard through the phone.

“Good, because I don’t think she’s going to be capable of playing…” There was movement on the line before he spoke again.

“I don’t really know what’s going on. Do you know what is happening?” I took a deep breath before I started trying to explain.

“So according to my current knowledge, she has two broken ribs and two bruised ribs. Her cheek bone is damaged and she did have broken nose that one of you fixed,” There was a pause while I tried to remember what exactly they were doing right now,” That’s all pretty minor though. She’s in surgery because she had a fracture in her left wrist where part of the bone broke off and it can die and rot and cause problems and she has a fracture in her right hand that has to have a screw put in the straighten the bones. She’s going to have the right hand in a cast for six to eight weeks. The left hand she wanted in a cast for a week and then they would discuss having it taken off.” His sounded exasperated.

“If Bryce wasn’t being such a fucking dick.” I snickered.

“Yeah, well she will probably be pretty subdued. They’re giving her some pretty fucking heavy meds. From what the doc was saying she’ll need them.” Another sound of complete exhaustion came from the phone.

“Look I’m gonna be straight up with you,” I instinctively sat forward to listen more intently despite there being no one around me to interfere,” None of us are really 100% sure about your relationship. It’s nothing personal, this is just a first in the ten years we’ve been around her. She’s never serious. With that being said, know that what I’m about to say mean that we’re putting a lot of trust in you.” There was a pause on the other end while I attempted to process what he had just said to me.

“You’re going to have to be in charge of all her healing stuff. It’s not that we don’t care or that we don’t want to, she trusts you and we’re doing a lot of damage control. We also honestly don’t want those meds on this bus. I can’t-“ He stopped suddenly.

“We don’t know what we would do with ourselves if anything happened to her…” Just then I realized the trust that they were instilling to me.

“I’ll take care of her Mikey, you guys just do what you have to do.” He sighed again.

“Don’t take it personally that I don’t know to believe you or not. Just please get her back safely please. I have to go get a flight for Andrew.”

“Alright man, I’ll shoot you a text when we’re on our way.”

He hung up before I could say anything else, but it didn’t matter because the nurse showed up.

“Delaney,” She was looking down at the clipboard but looked up and old saw me,” You’re here for Ajax correct?” I nodded and she motioned for the seats again.

“The surgery went very well,” She smiled while she sat down next to me,” Like we said before the cast on her right hand has to stay on for the full healing time. If there is any bleeding, grinding, or extreme pain we advise you make a trip to the nearest hospital. Her left wrist will have a removable cast. It could possibly turn into a full cast if her arm isn’t healing as planned. We’re prescribing Percocet for heavy pain and then any store bought ibuprofen, up to 1000 milligrams at a time,for minor pain.” She smiled at me while handing over the prescriptions.

“They’re both as needed and there isn’t a refill. She’ll have to call us for another prescription.”

“Can I see her now?” She smiled.

“Yes, but she won’t be awake for a little bit.”

Sure enough it was an hour before she was up and conscious.

“told you I’d be fine.” She joked as she woke up.

“Yeah yeah, and now you have two casts.” She took down and saw the two tubes encasing her wrists and hands.

“Shit,” She turned them over and continued to examine them “There’s no getting away from this is there?” I shook my head.

“Both of them have to be on for six to eight weeks to heal. Even the removeable one” She groaned.

“I already hate this.”

We both sat making small talk until the nurse returned a little over an hour later.

“Alright, you can sign the discharge papers whenever you are ready. If there are any problems we recommend going to a doctor immediately.” She smiled and handed Vinny the clipboard.

We thanked her and quickly gathered our things. Vinny called in my prescription to a pharmacy by tomorrow’s venue while I changed

We rushed to call an uber and get back to the venue as fast as we could.

“3 AM, is anyone gonna be up?” He asked me. I scoffed as we turned into the parking lot.

“I was just in surgery, yes they will be.” He chuckled as the car stopped.

After he helped me out, we made our way inside where everyone was sitting around the front lounge.

“Are you feeling ok?” Mikey stood up and gave me a careful hug.

“I’m just really tired. So why don’t we get moving and everyone go to bed? We can talk about what we want to do in the morning.” Luckily the bus started moving then. The driver had been told to go as soon as we were on the bus.

“Alright, before bed though just know that Andrew is meeting us at the venue in the morning. Bryce went with Jake. They think Jake will be awake tomorrow.”

I nodded to him before going to bed. The next few days were going to suck.