Fire & Ice

Chapter Nine

"Lady Vigdis, what were you thinking?" Thor almost hissed at her as she followed them across the courtyard to the gardens.

"She had belittled me long enough. And, while I did not intend to become so heated, I was not going to let her speak to me in that manner." Viggy replied hastily but firmly.

"You still shouldn't have-..." Thor started.

"She called my soon-to-be wife, trash, brother as well as Eira for she is of Midgard also. Is she not?" Loki spat gutturally. His eyes flickered green. "No future princess of Asgard will be spoken to in such a way even if it is Sif. I know you would not stand idly by if she had threatened Eira."

"I understand, my brother. And concur." Thor replied cautiously knowing his brother was slowly becoming angered.

"I think it's about time we retire for the evening." Eira stepped in and Thor pulled her to his side as if to protect her.

"I need to cool down some still." Viggy said leaning in to smell a beautiful flower hanging in the garden.

"Perhaps a mid evening walk, my lady?" Loki offered his hand to Viggy which she nodded in response. "We shall join you later."

"Have a good evening." Eira smiled at them both before the couples split into different directions. Eira looked onwards as Thor seemed lost in thought. "What troubles you?"

"I mean no harm by saying this, but your sister's rage will only be viewed as a weapon to Loki." Thor sighed.

"I thought you said Loki had been punished and rehabilitated." Eira replied with worrisome eyes.

"He has. I promise you, but the moment he saw Vigdis become infuriated today, I saw the same hunger in his eyes as they were before." Thor pulled her closer to him. "I assure you, my love, I won't allow him to harm any one especially your sister."

Eira nodded silently as they entered Thor's private quarters.

"I thought you had important matters to attend to today." Viggy inquired as she walked along side Loki.

"What could be more important than spending time with you?" He cocked an eyebrow.

Viggy laughed almost embarrassed. "Really now? I'm on to you, sir."

"On to what?" He smirked. Viggy could see mischief written all over his face. "I can't flatter a woman without being accused of something."

"It's not the flattery. It's that evil grin on your face." Viggy smiled turning away from him continuing her stride through the gardens.

"I cannot even act joyful?" He faked hurt.

"What is it that has made you so interested now anyways?" Viggy sat on a nearby bench that provided view of the bifrost and the rainbow bridge in the distance.

"All I have wanted is to be accepted and to be loved as I am the favorite. I have never seen light outside of Thor's vast shadow. I shall never be king or have sons to be king. Thor has always been favored." Loki stared straight forward in to the night and he sat next to her. "I thought by some off chance, you'd eventually show me how that feels."

"Loki, don't you see that your family truly loves you. Thor has a great heart and you are held highest in it. If not, don't you think they would have let you rot after the New York incident?" She treaded carefully with her words as she saw his jaw tighten at the mention of his failing. "Do you really think that your family doesn't love you?"

"What family, Vigdis? I am the orphan child to a beast of ice." He muttered with full emotion in his voice. "Odin's love for me is not equal to the love he has for Thor."

"You are letting Thor's right as king as firstborn blind you of things that are more important." Viggy muttered frustrated. "You want power, Loki. You want people to bow down to you. Worship you. Why is that? Not even your own father wants that."

"He is not my father!" He lashed back with anger flooding his words. "You know nothing of my treatment here!"

"I know that you are free to do as you please. That you went power hungry and your family, and don't tell me they aren't that, took you back with open, affectionate arms, Loki! We all stray from the right path but family regardless if they are the blood of your blood still love you and accept you. No matter the trials you've put them through. While as a wife, I should love you more unconditionally than they; don't ever tell me you have gone unloved in Asgard." Viggy raged. Why couldn't he see past himself?

"Perhaps you are right, Lady Vigdis." He squeezed her hand "Thank you for the enlightenment."

"You know we are similar in a way though. I have a hard time grasping that my father isn't the man who we left back in New York. Though, I do see that they both do love me, it is hard for me to feel complete. And, Tyr. It's hard to find out you are the blood of some great god and be expected to walk in the same glorious footsteps." Viggy sighed holding her helmet on her lap. "What if I am not meant to be Goddess of War? What if I was meant to be something lesser?"

"Your family would love you just the same." He breathed lightly. Viggy's hands were slightly trembling as she traced the engravings upon her helm. "But I think we both know you are meant for greater things even though they may seem frightening."

"I just don't want to fail." She looked deep in to Loki's oceanic eyes. He noticed she was tearing up. "There are these urges I get. Like there is a small voice in my head that wants to be the villain. How long is it until I stop ignoring their beckons?"

Loki sat silent just staring back at her. He saw a version of himself. The version who sought to do good, but gave in to such urges.

"Whatever comes, we will weather as one. I assure you, Lady Vigdis." His eyes shimmered with green before returning to blue. "How about we join the others now? I believe our temperaments have cooled down for the evening."

"Might as well. I figure I should breaking the news to Thor that Eira and I both have a match with Sif tomorrow in the training yard." Viggy laughed lightly.

"Oh gods. He will be thrilled for such news." He smiled put his arm around her waist as they meandered through corridors.
♠ ♠ ♠
Feedback is always appreciated.