Wonderland

never worse

Alice liked following Adam around. Not in a stalker-ish way—just when they were together. Anytime they went somewhere together (usually somewhere dark and maybe loud, if they were in the mood), she would trail behind him, letting him take the lead. She enjoyed watching him, always in reverent awe.

He’d always turn his head when she did this to make sure she was still there, as if he thought she might disappear in to thin air, leaving nothing but the hint of a trace of the perfume she liked to wear.

But she was always there, eyes wide and watching him. He would grin at her and she would smile back just as wide.

For a while, Alice wasn’t sure what their relationship was. It had never really been discussed or defined, and that was fine, but she still speculated. They were certainly friends. They would hang out, watch movies, talk about life.

But then there had been instances where she felt that they were more. Adam would occasionally grab her hand when they were walking, or pull her too close when they were dancing at a club.

Then there was the part where she felt closer to Adam than anyone else in her life, and they hadn’t even known each other that long. But she watched him and followed him, knowing that he would always lead her somewhere that had an air of mystery. And boy, did she love a mystery.

One night, when they were walking through the city one night, lights blinding against a dark sky, she was following behind him always walking fast so as not to lose him. She had learned that he often walked as if he was late for something important.

And suddenly he stopped walking. She almost ran into him. He turned and smiled at her.

“Do you trust me?” he asked, reaching up to tuck her hair behind her ear. Without even having to think about it, she nodded her head. Somewhere nearby she could almost hear the thumping of music. She figured there must be a club nearby, that he was no doubt taking her to.

Adam took her hand and led her into the entrance of a nearby alley, swiftly pushing her against the nearest brick wall. She gasped at the force of it and her mouth opened in surprise as Adam immediately pressed himself against her, his hands braced against the wall on either side of her head.

He leaned in quickly, slowing at the last second as she shivered. He showed off that Cheshire cat smile of his for just a moment before finally pressing his lips to hers.

Suddenly it didn’t matter that the brick felt rough against her bare arms or that the brick probably wasn’t doing anything good to her dress. All that mattered was that Adam was kissing her, and it was warm and tasted sweet and her head was swimming as she grasped at the front of his shirt, wanting to somehow pull him closer to her. All she wanted was him.

He pulled away, his forehead pressing against hers, both breathing heavily. He took a small step back and took in the sight of Alice, leaning against a brick wall, her hair messed up slightly, lipstick smudged, eyes dark with want.

He reached in his pocket and held out his other hand.

“Give me your hand,” he said.

She immediately did as he said, placing her hand in his. He turned it over, palm up.

“You still trust me?” he asked and she nodded again. He dropped a little white pill into her hand and she looked at him questioningly. He closed her hand around the pill and let go. “See the world through my eyes.”

He held up his own pill before popping it into his mouth, swallowing it dry. Alice hesitated for only a moment before doing the same.

Adam took her hand again and they walked together to the club, headed down a rabbit hole. There was no turning back.
♠ ♠ ♠
Didn't it all seem new and exciting?