Every Day Feels Like a War

Children Surrender

Andy slumped against a wall, pulling his arms over his head as his chest hitched with raw sobs.
"You're sick in the head!"
"You're a god damn basket case, Biersack!"
"You're fucking insane!"

Andy curled up tighter and pulled fistfuls of his hair, crying into his knees. Ashley had never so much as raised his voice at him. Kat was changing him... He tried to warn Ashley and it got thrown back in his face. God damn it, he had done everything he could. He couldn't kill Kat without Ashley most likely killing him. He had to lay low for now. Well, as low as he could get without being recognized as Black Veil Brides frontman. Not to say he didn't enjoy the attention. He adored every single fan... It just got tiring sometimes when he wasn't feeling up to it.
After he calmed down, Andy stood up and staggered down the sidewalk. His hair fell over his face, hands shoved in the pockets of his jacket as he walked slowly.
"Andy!"
Andy froze stiff, bloodshot eyes widening. No, no anything but Ashley... please.
"Andy, oh my god!" Ashley sounded out of breath, like he'd been running after him for a while. Andy grimaced and took off, sprinting away. Ashley's shouts got more distant until he turned the corner and ran into an alley behind some apartments. He climbed up the fire escape and pulled himself up onto the roof. There. Ashley wouldn't find him up there.
Unfortunately, he did.
Ashley climbed up after him, looking sadly at his best friend. Were they even that anymore?
"Andy, please. Lets talk this out.." Ashley reached out a hand towards him. Andy looked at him, silent. "I'm sorry I acted the way I did. I really am, just- please, don't jump."
Andy looked down. He hadn't even realized his toes were hanging over the edge... A wicked grin tugged on Andys lips, an idea forming in his mind. Maybe the only way to save Ashley was to tell Ashley.
"I'm sorry, too, Ash." he murmured and spread his arms, falling forward.
"No!" Ashley screeched and ran to the edge, grabbing at the air in attempts to catch him. He looked wildly over the edge. Andy's body should have hit the ground by now, but the sidewalk below was... perfectly clean and Andy was nowhere in sight.
Andy stood behind Ashley, his black tipped wings folded a bit behind his back. He chuckled quietly and tapped his shoulder. "Boo."
Ashley nearly leaped out of his own skin, turning around in a flash. His brown eyes widened, gazing at the singer. Andy's complexion was ghostly pale, but it was...a beautiful, glowing pale. Behind him were two large, ash grey wings that slumped to the ground.
"You... You're-"
"Yeah.." Andy nodded awkwardly and scratched the back of his head. "I knew you wouldn't believe me otherwise. I am an angel- Actually, you guys call me the Holy Spirit but I don't even know where that name came from."
"Wait... who is 'you guys'?" Ashley blinked.
"You. You all. The world. Everyone." Andy shrugged and smiled faintly. "Wanna see my weapons? They're pretty cool."
Ashley nodded, sitting down on the concrete. He watched in awe as Andy waved his hand and revealed a line of different weapons, ranging from a crossbow to longswords to anything else that was humanely imaginable- and more.
"This is my favorite." he pulled out his double-edged blade. "One side is fire, the other side is ice. Very hard to use, but easy once you get the hang of it." he shrugged and put it back. "This is my spear. I hardly use it much, but it's still pretty good. Oh! And my snake dagger. I got it when I was..." Andy thought. "Maybe I shouldn't say... It was eons ago." he put it back and continued showing off his collection, stopping when he felt a hand on the bottom of his left wing. Andy looked down at Ashley, his chocolate eyes full of amazement and wonder. They suddenly became concerned and met Andy's grey eyes.
"What about Kat." he asked in a whisper. "Oh no, please tell me she isn't-"
"She is." Andy sat next to him, looking at his hands. "I'm sorry, Ashley... I really am..." Ashley shook his head.
"What is she. Tell me everything." He said, voice hoarse but curious.
Andy took a deep breath. "Kat and I are siblings. She's my older sister- well, right now. It's complicated... She takes a new body for a host every twenty years. Sometimes its a man, sometimes its a woman. Either way, she's either my big sister or big brother." he looked at Ashley. "She's essentially what you guys all refer to as Satan. She's the devil. She thrives on suffering and wreaking havoc, especially when she watches me fail to stop it. She's doing that right now... she's tearing you away from me so she can suck the life out of you and use you as a damn puppet."
Ashley's eyes widened. "She's- She's going to kill me?"
Andy nodded solemnly. "Your soul. Not your body. Your soul is sent to go through the usual judging to see whether you're eligible for Heaven or not... Your body? Kat takes it, remodels it to her liking and uses it. I can't even remember what she used to look like.... Except those eyes.. Those piercing, green eyes.." He shuddered and stood up. He offered a hand to Ashley, pulling him up as well. Ashley grabbed Andy's forearm as he was about to leave.
"That whole... crazy-in-love-with-me thing was just an act to stall the process, right?" he asked.
Andy opened his mouth to protest but shut it again and nodded. "Yeah- yeah, it was. Smart, huh...?" He smiled halfheartedly. Ashley smiled back.
"You always were clever. Well, that clears that awkward tension up." He pulled him into a hug. Andy cringed and hugged back, pulling out quickly.
"You can't let Kat know you know any of this, got it? Otherwise she'll do it instantly. So... act like you were before we talked. Go home and say that... I wouldn't talk to you or something."
"Okay, Andy- I'm gonna be okay, right?" Ashley frowned again. He looked so scared... Andy nodded. "I promise." he smiled faintly and jumped from the ledge, flying away.

Andy decided to pay the little girl, Cassie, a visit. Normally seeing a little kid that could see him didn't meant much. Cassie was different. Everytime he saw her, he could see a light in her eyes that reminded him of himself sometimes.
His dad always told him that he'd have an apprentice someday. Maybe he found her... She was much too young yet, though. So for now he would just pay friendly visit. He landed outside the small house and tapped on her bedroom window. Cassie looked up from her second-grade level chapter book and smiled happily, running over and throwing open the window (with some help from Andy.)
"Andy!" She squealed and tried climbing out. Andy stopped her with a laugh.
"Slow down there... Your mommy and daddy wouldn't want you climbing out the window." He tutted. Cassie got down and pouted with a nod.
Andy leaned against the window and reached a hand in, ruffling her hair. "I have something for you." he whispered. "Close your eyes."
Cassie closed her eyes tight, bouncing up and down on her toes. Andy clasped the necklace around her neck.
"There." he murmured.
Cassie opened her eyes and looked, eyes lighting up. "It's a birdie!" She giggled.
"It's an angel, honey." he corrected. Andy smiled faintly at her as she examined the charm in wonder, holding it up to the light. He looked over his shoulder, sighing.
"Sad?" Was all she said. Andy looked back at her. She was frowning now, her cherubic face sad and worried.
"I'm just... worried about someone." he brushed some of her hair back. "I want something but I can't have it." She reached her hands out and pushed his cheeks up into a smooshed smile.
"You should smile." She beamed. "Whenever I want something, I smile and I get it!" She giggled.
"You really are a little angel, Cassie..." Andy smiled faintly, kissing her forehead. "Now go to bed. My little angel needs her sleep." he cooed. Cassie giggled and ran back to her bed, diving under the covers. Andy blew a kiss. "Goodnight, Cassie."
"Night-night, Andy..." She yawned and closed her eyes. Andy closed her window and went home, smiling a bit. A childs innocence was truly beautiful.
He looked up at the sky and grinned happily, closing his eyes. Maybe everything would be okay...