Every Day Feels Like a War

Nothing But Trouble

"We're brothers, remember?" Andy said quietly, voice wafting into the front room where Jinxx, CC and Ashley were playing Mario Kart.
"Right.." Jake answered and entered the room. He picked up a controller and waited for them to finish.
Ashley looked up as he did so. "What was that about?"
"It's nothin', Ash." Jake sighed, looking down at him. Ashley shook his head and continued playing, his mind on one thing and one alone. His beautiful girlfriend.. He couldn't stop thinking about her. If they hadn't been on the road, he would be on the phone with her or Skyping.. He missed her so much and it had only been two hours since they said goodbye. He directed Princess Peach around the track, lagging in the back. He just couldn't get Kat out of his mind.
"C'mon, Ash! You're in sixth! You can do better!" CC prompted, nudging him.
"Huh- oh- yeah." Ashley laughed awkwardly, pulling into third. He'd never felt this way about anyone before. He'd never truly loved before her and he knew, irrational and dumb as it was, as they'd known each other for less than two days.. But he knew that he was in love. This girl had totally stolen his heart. He would walk to the ends of the earth just to see her and it made him feel almost.. Helpless. He gave a dreamy little sigh as they finished the loop. Now he understood all the love songs on the radio.. Kat was nothing short of a goddess and he worshipped the very ground she walked on. He put his controller down and went toward his bunk. He laid down, eyes closed and a dumb little smile on his face. Less than a week until he would see her again...He'd count every achingly long second until he came back to her. He grinned to himself. How did he get so lucky?
He looked at a picture they'd taken together. He was kissing her cheek and she was looking at the camera. Her eyes were the prettiest shade of green, like emeralds or grass after a summer storm. They felt like coming home to him, despite such a short time being together.
He felt almost.. Empty, being without her. Like his heart had been cut in half, and half existed outside of him. Like his heart couldn't beat right without Kat in his arms. He resumed smiling like an idiot. He could hardly think straight. He couldn't even remember his own name without Kat interrupting his thoughts. It felt like being under a spell in a dreamy, euphoric sort of way. It was truly amazing, the depth of emotion he felt toward this girl he barely knew. He sighed contently, allowing himself to daydream.
Back in the lounge, Jinxx and CC were looking between each other. "What's wrong with Ash?" CC asked, concerned.
"I don't know.. It's like.. He's here. But he's not mentally here with us." Jinxx frowned. "His mind is somewhere else."
CC sighed. "He's in love, I guess."
"Don't you think that it- It's weird? Ashley doesn't love that easily but suddenly he's wrapped around her finger."
CC nodded. "I guess.. But maybe this is just ... If she makes Ashley happy, I'm glad for him. He needs someone to make him happy."
Jake glared a bit. "I still don't like her. She's creepy."
"Jake, c'mon. She's a nice girl." Jinxx frowned. "Aren't you happy for him?"
"She's not good for him. I know - Jinxx, man, I'm begging you to trust me. She gives me a bad feeling." Jake pleaded. "I'd never do this, you know that. I want Ashley to be happy, of course I do. Kat just.. I can't- I don't know why but there's something unnerving about her."
Jinxx shook his head. "Please - let Ash be happy." He said. "He loves her."
Jake looked at him sadly. "I just don't want him to get hurt. Andy agrees with me- she's bad for him. Listen to me, please, guys.. I really want the best for him. She's not it."
Ashley looked at them, wounded. Kat was the best thing to happen to him.. Why did they hate her? It felt like a betrayal that his brothers, the people he trusted with his life, weren't happy with who he was choosing to spend it with.. His lip trembled a bit. His eyes stung with threatened tears that he managed to hold back. Why could nobody just be happy for him?! They complained that he was single and then they complain when he's not.. He would never make all of them happy. Tears prickled and finally fell. He stood there, helpless tears running down his cheeks before he went back to his bunk. He crawled in and laid down, that empty feeling stronger than ever. He was alone.
He was weak.
~~~
It was the last show of the tour. The very last day until Ashley's heart would be whole. It was somewhere in Arizona, meaning that after this performance, he was only a few hours from her.
He sighed, shaking out some jitters. He cracked open a bottle of water, trying to calm his nerves. He never got nervous before a show.. He'd never truly been in love either. He'd been having a weird, emotional rollercoaster of a week. He leaned into the mirror to fix his makeup. He ran his fingers under his eye to clean up the makeup. "Hey, cutie." Someone said from behind him.
Ashley spun around. "You're here!" He gasped, sweeping Kat into his arms. "Oh, baby.. I've missed you so much."
Kat giggled, swept right off her feet. "I guessed as much." She laughed, kissing him."I just couldn't wait any more to see you." She said breathlessly. "I took the Greyhound so I could tag along back home." She smiled, holding his face in her dainty, long nailed hands. "Im sorry I didn't ask, but I wanted to surprise you."
"That's awesome! I'm glad you did." He smiled, embracing her again. "You're more beautiful every time I see you." He whispered. "Stay here. Gotta go do my thing." He smiled.
"Can't wait to see my man do what he loves." She smiled and stood side stage through the show. Ashley could hardly look away from her and much less focus on what his hands were doing..
Afterwards, Ashley rejoined her. She lovingly dried him off, rubbing his glimmering body with a towel. "You're so hot on stage, baby." She giggled as they walked hand in hand to the bus.
"We're not leaving until morning so.. Welcome to the tour bus." Ashley smiled, sitting down with her on his lap.
The guitarists and drummer came through the bus, only to leave shortly after in search of some club with their techs. Ashley was far too focused on Kat to notice. He held her, barely aware of the world that existed around them. Kat was the center of his universe, the sun and stars to him. He could barely remember life before her and he couldn't imagine one without her now. He smiled to himself, kissing her hand.
Andy thumped heavily up the stairs into the bus. "Ash? Have you seen my- what is she doing here." He asked, already low voice lowered and dangerously quiet. His eyes were icy cold.
"I came to surprise my boyfriend." She said innocently. Ashley wasn't looking at her and he didn't see the sneer that twisted her expression. It wax malicious and evil. Ashley held her a bit tighter, his head burrowed into her shoulder. "Something wrong with that?" She asked sweetly.
Andy's expression suddenly changed. "Hey.. Ash? I think I want to try to get to know Kat. Can you go to the 7/11 and get some snacks?" He asked.
Ashley stood up and sighed. "I guess. 20 minutes, baby." He kissed her and left to the convenience store.
He picked up chips, candy and other little things, just enough for the rest of the night. He paid, allowing himself to dawdle and dream about Kat as he walked back. He hoped Andy and Kat were making progress.. Maybe they'd finally get along..