Status: Look at the story in full detail, the photos of the real vacation and the real people featured in the story at http://seasidesummerbc.tumblr.com/ Password: seaside

Keeping Summer

Five // Riley

Date: June Eleventh Two Thousand Fourteen.
Time: Two in the afternoon
Place: Outside The Painted Mermaid

All of us were walking out of the painted mermaid together. Our potter is in the kiln right now.
“Do you wanna go to Pickles for lunch?” I ask the group as I take a right towards 30A. It’s the main street of this part of Florida it connects all the vacation towns together. Pickles is the towns burger joint that everyone goes to.
“But I’m craving a Melt Down right now!” My little sister Ava whines.
“Yeah, come on Riley!” My other sister, sophie, joins in on the whining “A Melt Down sounds so good right now!”
“Fine, Y’all okay with grilled cheeses for lunch?” I ask Kayla, Emily and Rachel.
“It’s fine by me” Rachel says. Emily and Kayla nod in agreement. We get on to 30A we were passing right by frostbites as I see a very familiar face. An extremely familiar face. He’s smiling and laughing at something to his left holding a cup of Dawson’s frozen yogurt in his hand with a spoon stuck into it. He was walking towards us, but people and bikes crowded the walk way before I could walk over to him. He was supposed to be in Dallas. There is no way he is here? Could he have come here to surprise me?! I’ll act like I didn’t see him and keep walking next to Rachel on our way to The Melt Down, the fabulous grilled cheese place here in town. It’s also located in an old repurposed Airstream RV like Frostbites. We ordered our grilled cheeses and got them about five minutes later. Kayla decided eating in the middle of the town green belt would be a good idea in this 90 degree weather. We were melting more than the cheese on our bread.
“Kayla are you are we can’t finish these at home?” Emily whines as she shoved another bite into her mouth.
“Emily! You’re almost done with yours! Don’t be complaining” Kayla laughs as she starts the second half of her sandwich. We continue small talk about Kayla and Rachel’s lives back in houston and the rest of our lives back in Dallas. I finished my lunch then told everyone I was going to throw it away at heavenly then head home. Kayla finished also and went with me.
Thats when it happened.
I saw him.
Chad. Him putting the spoon from the dawson’s cup into this blonde girl’s mouth as she giggles and holds hands with him on the table. They laugh and chat again. I stand by the bike rack and stare in disbelief.
“This is not happening” I whispered as tears well up in my eyes.
“Who’s that?” Kayla asks when she relizes I was looking at someone when I stopped.
“Chad.” I say.
“Like boyfriend Chad?” She asks.
“Yeah,” I say with a small voice, “Boyfriend Chad.”