Status: work in progress

Perfect Storm

Thanks.

It’s thanksgiving! Probably one of my favorite holidays, and not because I get to eat all I want. Thanksgiving for me is all about family, and in the case of this year, new friends and potential family. Yesterday was difficult but there were so many people there supporting me and Sidney that I feel a part of the Penguins family now. That might be because I’m dating the face of the Penguins. After the conference Sid and his family came over, Mrs. Crosby insisting that she help with the food prep for tomorrow. Between her, my mom, and I (Kristen observing and pouring the mixture into the crust for the pecan pie so she can say she made it without lying to Zack) we got all of the baking and things cut and ready to cook in the morning.

I thankfully have a glass of wine in my hand as I finish up the last of the sides, my father is carving the turkey talking sports with Mr. Crosby, our moms setting the table and filling it with the food, Kristen partially avoiding Zack as he sits with Sidney in the living room. Taylor, Sidney’s sister, is in the kitchen with me, taking the finished food and getting them into the serving dishes. It’s just a shame that my brother isn’t here, but he’s a Navy man, and constantly in some other country; so seeing him is difficult and talking to him is rare but we email he knows a little about Sidney but not much. I miss him but try not to think about it too much, otherwise I would constantly be afraid that something would happen to him.

“Something smells amazing” Sidney says coming up behind me, wrapping his arms around my waist. “It’s you never mind” he adds burying his nose in my hair.

“I probably smell like food” I say laying my free hand over his.

“Well, yea but you also smell like you.”

“Time to eat Romeo” I chuckle turning my face to give him a quick peck. “Why don’t you go let Kristen know she can stop avoiding talking to Zack for a little while?”

“Sure thing babe” he replies with a wink and a gentle squeeze. I help Taylor get the last couple of dishes on the table as Mr. Crosby pours out wine for everyone that are now taking seats around the table, my dad taking his usual place at the head of the table, mom sitting beside him, Sidney’s parents across from her with Taylor sitting beside her brother, Kristen sitting beside my mom and then Zack, leaving me at the other end of the table facing my dad. I look around as they all sip wine and chat and think that this could be my future, my family, add in some kids and hopefully my brother.

“I don’t know what you all are waiting for” I smile.

“Why don’t you say a few words sweetheart?” my dad prompts.

“Daddy, that’s always been your job” I say looking around, waiting for him to start. When he doesn’t I begin, “Ok, Thank you all for coming. We never really had a big tradition of saying what we were thankful for growing up. It was always a bit too hectic of a day to take the time, we were starving after smelling the food cooking all morning. But I will say that today I am so very thankful to have you all here. Now eat until you can’t possibly eat anymore, that’s the real tradition.” They all laugh, and take a drink before loading their plates. I look around and truly am thankful for my family, and the possible new family that all sit together.

Laying down on the couch with Sidney while football plays in the background feels amazing. I love being wrapped up in his arms, I could stay like this all day every day. However I had a lot of wine while cooking and during dinner so I carefully slid out from Sidney’s arms and make my way out of the living room, seeing Kristen curled up near Zack. I shrug and smile, at least she’s warming up to the idea of it all. I want to see her happy, after all the jerks she has dealt with over the years she deserves it. I see Taylor asleep on the chaise lounge in my office, and our parents sitting around the fireplace in the back room sipping on coffee. It’s an almost perfect holiday, almost.

“Hey you” I heard as Sid wraps his arms around my waist.

“Hi, I didn’t wake you did I?”

“No, but it got a lot less comfortable when I realized you were gone.”

“Had to use the bathroom, lot of wine” I reply as I turn to face him. “Did you have a good nap though?”

“Yea, when is dessert? Do I have time to have another plate before?”

“You’re hungry?”

“Yea, growing boy here” he smirks.

“Speaking of growing, when is this going to be removed?” I ask running a finger along his upper lip.

“What? Not a fan?”

“Not really” I whisper, “I love you, just not your facial hair.”

“I love you too” he says before giving me a light, but powerful kiss. He can somehow without overdoing it make me feel so cherished. Not that he can’t knock my socks off with those lips of his, because he sure as hell can. “Damn I could kiss you all day.”

“Me too, but you’re a hungry man. And I may have put together a couple sandwiches for everyone if they got hungry they’re in the fridge. Once everyone wakes up I’ll get dessert out.”

“You’re an angel” he says with a smile.

“You won’t think so on Saturday…”

“Why is that?”

“You’re going to see a whole different side of me, it’s the Ohio State game against our arch rivals… That team up north.”

“Michigan…” he says taking a bite of the sandwich.

“Don’t say it! It’s hate week Sid! Don’t say the m word!”

“Sorry, I didn’t know you were so into it.”

“Oh, babe I’m into it. When we have kids the m word will be a swear word, put a dollar in the swear jar.”

“When we have kids?”

“Ummmm, yea” I reply with a blush creeping into my face. “A while from now, but I can see it.”

“Good, I can too.”

“Yea?”

“Yea, I said that I love you. I meant it.”

“Are we really talking about the future with our families here? Not that I have a problem with it…”

“We are but all I know is that I love you and our kids would be as gorgeous as you.”

“Well wait until you see me watching The Game… you may change your mind” I laugh.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you all had a great thanksgiving! Thanks for reading!

And as always please comment! Let me know what you're thinking! More to come soon I promise!