Status: work in progress

Perfect Storm

Settling In

“Hi baby girl, how are you sweetie?” My father asks after accidentally butt dialing me.

“I’m good daddy how are you? Ready for your cruise with mom?”

“We’re ready, your mom is packed already I’ll just throw things in a bag right before we leave per usual. Did you figure out what you’re doing this weekend for Christmas? Heading out with Kristen?”

“Ummm, actually I’m going home with Sidney. Good thing you made me get my passport last summer.”

“Oh, wow. Serious about this guy, huh?”

“No, not at all dad. Having his parents over for not only dinner but Thanksgiving wasn’t planned at all… Yes, I am serious about Sidney. You wouldn’t have met him if I wasn’t serious about him.”

“Canada… of all the places you’ve been and want to go to I don’t think that Canada made the list.”

“You’re right. I can’t say that I would have been upset about not making it to Canada. But, I can say that I am excited to see where he’s from.”

“Shit, my baby girl is in love.”

“Yes, daddy, I do.”

******

“Hey beautiful” he said placing a kiss on my forehead. “We’re here.”

“Canada? Already?” I ask sleepily.

“Yea, you slept through the landing. Don’t really know how you did that…” he said trailing off.

“I always sleep well on planes, and in cars… pretty much any traveling I can sleep. My parents trained me well” I groggily mumble turning my face into the crook of his neck.

“Guess you’ll sleep on the drive to my house then?”

“Your house? You mean your parents’ house?”

“No mine.”

“You have another house?”

“Yea, for summers, off-season.”

“Ohhhh, I guess that makes sense.”

“I can’t wait to show it to you” he says opening the door of the car his parents dropped off earlier that day. He placed a light kiss on my lips and closed my door for me before walking around to put or bags in the back, then into the driver seat. When he pulled out on the road he took my hand in his, and before I knew it I was fast asleep again.

I woke up as he turned into the driveway of the house. It was bigger than I thought it would be, but didn’t seem to be ostentatious. There were lights on, so we could see our way in, and those little candle lights in the windows, evergreen wreaths hanging on the front windows giving it a simple but festive look.

“First impression?”

“Huge! And beautiful” I say as he opens up the garage door and pulls in. We grab our bags and walk into the entry. I’m greeted by a warm cozy smell of Sidney, the sight of dark hard wood floors and a grand stair case. In front of me is the living room, and to the right the kitchen.

“Should I give you a proper tour?”

“Sure, as long as it ends where we are sleeping” I reply as he takes my hand leading me to the living room, showing me the beautiful mantle and fireplace, the large sofa that you could sink into. It looks comfortable and lived in even though he is rarely here during the season. Next he leads me to the dining room that is open to the kitchen, the dark wooden floors continue throughout the entire main level and in the kitchen the cabinets are a t lighter with a gray marble countertop. It just might be my dream kitchen. Behind that is an office and guest bath and bedroom. We finally head upstairs and he shows me the other bedrooms and a loft that seems to be a blank slate right now. When we make it to the master, I see a king sized bed with what looks like the fluffiest white comforter and pillows, the walls painted a peaceful blue. I can’t wait to crawl into that bed, with Sidney of course. “Holy shit babe. I want to take a bath in the tub!”

“That was kind of the point of putting in the big claw foot tub” he laughed. “We could take a bath before we go to sleep.”

“You think there is room for the both of us?” I ask turning on the hot water. I grab the jar that sits on the table next to the tub, “You have bath-salt” I open it and take a whiff, “Vanilla?”

“I ask my mom to get some stuff. You have some in your bathroom…”

“That was very thoughtful, thank you” I reply giving him a kiss after putting a scoop into the hot water. I take my hair and pile it into a bun on top of my head before pulling my shirt off of my body looking at my handsome boyfriend, “You planning on joining me?”

“Of course” he smiles looking up from my chest. “When exactly did you get this bra?” He says trailing a finger along the all lace fabric.

“Ummm, about a month ago.”

“I like it.”

“Stop gawking and get in that tub mister” I smile taking off the rest of my clothes and sinking into the perfectly hot bath. I scoot up so he can get in behind me and then settle in so my head is resting on his chest. “Your house is gorgeous.”

“I’m glad you like it” he says lacing his fingers with mine. “I thought that we could get a tree tomorrow… if you still want to.”

“That would be great” I sigh.

“Are you falling asleep on me?”

“Well, not I’m just really relaxed… but I am also pretty sleepy.”

“I don’t know how you are sleepy still… you slept the whole way here” he teases.

“I just am, the warm bath and the comfy boyfriend- the combination just relaxes me so much that I feel like I’m going to fall asleep again.”

“The comfy boyfriend, huh? I’m ok with that I suppose. Although, strong and rugged would have been better choices…”

“Big, strong, manly, but comfy boyfriend” I rattle off. “Is that better mister?”

“Much” he says with a content sigh, pulling me closer to him. “You ready for bed gorgeous?”

“Yes” I nod. He gets out and grabs a towel to dry himself, wrapping it around his waist. Then he grabs one for me, holding it out for me to step into. Without saying a word, he kisses me lightly and we begin our nighttime routine. I crawl into bed before him wearing my favorite cute pajamas, I instantly feel like my body is melting into the mattress. His mattress at home is like this too, I am almost jealous. I barely feel the bed shift before he is pulling me closer to him.

“Goodnight baby” he whispers, kissing my forehead.

“Goodnight, love you” I reply with a content sigh, kissing his knuckles.