Status: 1st chapter is finally up

The Mark of the Infinite

They Told Him Don't You Ever Come Around Here

A young boy ran excitedly down the halls. He light up with large smiles, his steps as joyful, he skipped, he jumped, even danced down the halls of he had to. The maids had smiled and chuckled as they saw him make such silly movements, continuing with their duty still.

Today was a big day. The castle was full, all the servants and maids put to work, not a single one was granted rest.

It wasn’t just the servants, but soldiers also walked and enjoyed from the rare chance to enter the castle, dressed in their shining armor, weapons at their side seeming to decorate with their persona. The boy was with his full splendor of childhood until he saw them, standing straight and continuing to walk obediently as his father and other maids and servants had taught him to. He stood stall for his small stature, trying not to seem impressed by these two men. The two men seemed just as interested with the boy, pointing out with knowing eyes and muttering ‘The Prince’. The boy did not notice this, but from the corner of his eyes was distracted with their medals and seals, all standing proudly in their uniform.

As they walked away, the boy broke from his stance to stand and look at them, heading into the castle, their capes flowing along with them. He could hear the steps of more, of loud voices speaking among themselves, clangs and bumps surely among more of these soldiers.

“Ricky! Ricky!” a voice called out, one which the boy instantly recognized and ran trying to find it in the crowd of men and women dressed in the same armor, different seals or badges appearing on them colorful and alive. It all seemed such a happy day, despite what this was for.

“Dad! Dad!” the boy called out, hoping to find him in the mess of taller men and women, huddled, making it just harder for him.

“Ricky! Over here!” but among all of them, one stood the proudest, his uniform the most spectacular, his stature the tallest, and well, features that anyone could identify belonged only to the king.

Ricky finally spotted him, people moving away to give space to the young prince to meet with him. The king had arms wide open, kneeling down and eager to give his son his greetings and farewells. Ricky hurriedly ran to him, jumping happily into his arms, laughing and smiling, forgetting for now that it would be his father’s last day in the castle before he went out for an extended period.

“There you are! Where were you? I assume making it hard on the servants on what to wear for today.” He laughed, and a small group around him did so as well, falling at awe with the adorable little boy who perched and was attached to his father.

“Everything was so itchy and tight, I really wanted this.” He looked over to what he was wearing, a simple long navy blue coat, engraved in small golden details, underneath a while blouse with a blue pendant, short trousers and small black boots.

Sure, it wasn’t what he had asked the servants to dress him in, but it would do, now was not a time to get mad and force him upstairs to change. He simply rolled his eyes and let him back on the floor, the boy holding tight to him the entire time, following him around as he greeted many of the people, but also heading to important meetings to discuss battle strategies, most that Ricky did not understand and simply enjoyed his time by playing with one of the soldiers as they discussed things. Afterwards, it was dinner, which he enjoyed and made a mess as he usually did. By nighttime, all soldiers, generals and any important official was asked to reunite by the outskirts of the castle, organized in straight lines, creatures at their sides obediently, dragons, horses, phoenixes and other ones Ricky had never seen before. It was amazing they could get this serious and ready when just before they were smiling, eating along in the castle and making him laugh with silly little things. It was time to go, further into the hills to the war that awaited them.

It was the first time that Ricky saw something like this, soldiers departing in such an organization, maybe even a show for those of the castle. Ricky was still so young, did not get the point of battle, of a kingdom and existence that needed to be protected, his own castle and valley that he thought would be a shining splendor forever. The castle began to empty, leaving only the servants, himself and the King. He took Ricky’s side by one of the tall balconies, as he saw his troops, ready for his command to leave.

“Now, will you promise me to listen to the servants? Head to sleep when they tell you to, wake up when they tell you, eat at the assigned times, help anyone if they need it, overall be a good boy.” Ricky nodded eagerly, a content smile, the few servants who were there rolling their eyes. Let’s see how long that lasted.

“And you promise to come back, and bring me things from every village and city you pass!” he asked, clinging to him now, begging eyes looking upwards to him.

The king had chuckled, raising the boy up, holding him tightly in his arms, taking in every detail of his smile, of his bright green eyes, light curled hair, his young and flawless skin, his small little body that he could hold up so easily. He was going to miss him, but surely this would be quick, and in no time he would return and enjoy from his childhood while he could. One last embrace, a tight and long one that he wanted Ricky to remember, as well as the king wanted to remember himself.

“Really, take care of yourself.” He left him one last kiss to his forehead, before placing him in the ground, petting his hair quickly before he ghosted away.

He was just about to run towards him, keep himself attached until the king had no other choice than to stay or take along his only son, but the servants held him, maintaining him in the balcony. They insisted he remained in the spot, that he watched the troops leave, and wave to his father from there, a final sign that he would be safely kept in the castle.

After a while, he noticed his father take his place, the soldiers moving swiftly like a wave, as part of protocol to let him pass through, until he was at the very front of it all. Everyone looked to him readily, even the servants and the prince. He took ride on a white silver dragon, the largest of the ones presented, one that Ricky had ridden himself and knew well. Bellina was her name, an old dragon of the family that existed for many years. Although graceful, beautiful, and splendorous, she was powerful, long neck and wings extending proudly, even dangerous and fearsome. They all knew that the dragon’s white fire was strong enough to burn down this entire castle if it wished to.

And there was the king, on its back, ready, flags raised, signals passed between them and then the King had raised a proud sword into the air, commencing their exiting. And they had run off, galloping sounds filling the valley, dust rising with their harsh steps and cries of awaiting victory. It was indeed exciting and Ricky had starred at it bewildered, his eye never losing them until they were far off, too much for Ricky’s eyes to reach. His father was gone to war and there was nothing he had of him now than the lingering of his last embrace and kiss.

The moon shone brightly that night, too bright Rei though. In fact, it started outshining everything, until the light draped everything in white, the valleys, the mountains and the castle. Rei found himself sitting in the very middle of everything, alone with no item in his vicinity. Well, he did notice something, just a simple little crawl from his distance. It was a mirror, a collet adorned richly in silver, seeming to grow like a flower from the actual mirror it circulated. Rei had to admit that it was beautiful, and in his curiousness his hand extended slowly towards it, wanting to touch the gems that decorated it, looking smooth and cold.

Upon his touch, the mirror had light up with an image, quite sudden that had him stumbling back. Hesitantly he moved closer until he could actually see what was presented. There was no reflection of himself, but that of the king, the one he had just seen leave off with his troops, father of the little boy that he knew as Ricky. It showed him traveling with the dragon, looking continuously back to see if all his men still followed. He was tall, broad and looked even menacing.

He had a large brown beard, small braids in it as it were in his long dark brown hair. Eyes were just as brown, his skin dark. If it wasn’t for the white and red armor he wore and friendly smile, he would seem more like a threat than the kind king and father he had seen. Because of all his hair, it was hard to recognize the features…which were similar to someone, he just couldn’t think at the moment who.

He distracted himself too much with the mirror to notice approaching steps, slow and gentle. There was no menace, but kindness, laughter just the same.

He turned then, not really surprised to see a girl standing. She stood quite kindly, hands held at her back, a short and simple white and black dress that suited her small figure well. She was an image of an obedient child, harmless in this total whiteness. It was why Rei wasn’t startled, or felt any presence of danger from the girl. She moved slowly towards him, enjoying every moment her feet landed upon the solid white ground, resounding steps that echoed in a haunting way. It had all been so sudden…how she suddenly pierced him with a fiery hand, trespassing and letting the room to suddenly darken, shaken and begin to destroy like an earthquake had taken place in his mind.

-o-

All lights were suddenly on, a new breeze of wind entered the room, and then there was loud banging.

“Wake up! Wake up! Wake up!” the voice called as intensely as the very pans he seemed to smash together.

It was so sudden that Gensel had even managed to roll down and fall to the floor in his surprise, Rei jolted up from the dream, while Suriel and Luis groaned annoyingly, but still sat up along with the rest, remembering where exactly they were. What really woke them up was the strong light that glowed on their faces…it was that annoying thing that Ashley had constantly floating around her. What was it that she called it? Heaven Fairy was it? Never mind it, point was, it was fluttering all across the room, rubbing itself on their faces, annoying them with its bright light and sparkling dust. It was like dealing with pixie dust. Their eyes were still so dazed to notice that Ashley had come inside, deciding on starting with Gensel…since he was laying on the floor and thus it would be easier. She recalled where his number lay, in his shoulder, standing over him to take a good look, depending on Ernest’s light to see.

“1,300. Earns 200 points when in rest.” She called out.

She then moved over to Luis, who was beginning to finally stand from the comfort of the bed, only to fall when Ashley took his source of balance, his hand.

“1,200. 200 points as well.” She easily let go, moving then to the top of the bed to gaze at Suriel’s.

“1,000. 100 points.” Then it was Rei’s turn, who refused and even sat in a protective stance, not letting anyone see his points.

Ashley easily noticed, sighting but having to respect his privacy.

“What does your number read currently?” she asked, hoping that he could tell her quickly.

He gazed far too quick, and Ashley wondered if he even looked at it.

“1,000.” He said.

“What did you have before?”

“900.” She nodded then, heading back down to George’s side, who carried four folded shirts in his hands.

“Your points rise when you rest…a full rest that is, one where your soul completely shuts down, you dream, and you get your points then.” She easily explained, then taking each shirt George had brought.

They were actually jackets, leather looking ones made with bronze serpent scale, buttons and other designs in the color of their number, some longer, some shorter, tighter, with buttoned collars or zippers. Each had their own symbol as well, all in intricate details. There was two with a black thick line pentagram, behind it a scroll with a writing that none of them could understand. One of a sword, a gun, and a staff standing in the middle tall, the three of them intertwined at the base and tied with a long ribbon. Then there was a sphere, glass covering a spance of stars. It looked incredible, like they had really catched a bit of the sky and placed it there.

Ashley threw each their own, expecting them to dress quick, they needed to head out now.

“Follow us.” George declared already heading out down the hall, Ashley and Ernest following behind obediently.

“Wait! Wait! Wait!” they all shouted, still trying to put in their jackets, in the end messily as they all headed out one by one, the last one being Gensel, who was still trying to figure out how to put one of his arms in. Why was this so complicated?

George and Ashley didn’t dare look back to see them, just continued, hoping they were behind them. Ashley took a quick peak, only Rei and Suriel walking at their pace now, having just reached them, while Luis and Gensel ran hurriedly trying to keep up.

It was another round of endless halls, whiter than the rest of the building, glasses on either side where they saw angels work in large offices, training grounds where they trained their magic, or occasionally rooms where they dealt with larger groups that came here, mostly from large bus, plane accidents or mass murders. As they walked on further, nothing was seen to them but continuous bright walls, several buttons which George and Ashley pressed as they continued, playing a sort of rhythm as lights brightened, doors were opened, air blew, distant sounds that they couldn’t find in their presence. To George and Ashley, it was a known movement, they didn’t even have to watch anymore, they knew well what they touched and pressed, it looked like a thoroughly planned dance to the four.

“The four of you are written down as a group in the system. Team Panda, as Ashley so perfectly placed.” Ashley seemed proud of it.

“Thus only the four of you are allowed to pass points and to earn together group prices in certain competitions.” George advised.

“Try to always stick together, don’t fret, trust and count on each other, it’s a matter of surviving.” Ashley continued.

“In about a month Ashley would come to see how you are doing, if you want to continue alone, simply speak to her by then, and we’ll do what’s necessary.” And suddenly they had stopped, a large metal door, the angel symbol in the center shinning in gold, making the rather intimidating door more inviting.

George and Ashley dealt with the last of the button pressing, the putting of codes, until finally the door was ready to open. Lights outlined it, air blew and dust came in, only but light filling the hall, making it impossible to see. None of the four noticed as they were moved, as they stepped on a new type of ground, of grass, of an Earthy smell that contrasted greatly with the metallic ones of the building they were just inside. It was humid, the first thing their eyes noticing the heavy mist that spread, and the occasional patch of green from the ground.

The blinding light began to dim until they could notice the hills reaching up above the mist, the wet trees that acted as wall around them, the hill they stood up trying to give them a sort of view, but the mist didn’t let them, they were left somewhere unknown and not a clue on where to go or even what to do. They all looked back to notice George and Ashley standing above in a single square…but not a building behind them. The door was sustained in midair, and while the rest stood in bewilderment at this feat, George and Ashley stood unfazed, only Ashley gave a wave to them, the door beginning to finally close.

“Good Luck!” she called out just in time, before the door had suddenly disappeared and there was nothing but the four of them.

Luis still gazed on to where they just left, coming close, his hands rising into the air to see if maybe there was an invisible wall of the sorts, but nothing. There was nothing out there but the four boys, looking desperately around them, confused, trying to find a way they could continue, but not even a road was presented to them.

“Where the hell are we?” Suriel shouted, loud enough to echo.

“Absolutely. Ask us, cause apparently we’ve all been dead before.” Rei told him, spotting a trunk to sit on.

“What are we even supposed to do now? Just get lost in the woods?” Gensel asked, finding his own spot on the trunk, Rei having to push aside to give him space.

“We’re dead, what could possibly out there that could-”

“There’s a hell we could go to if all our points disappear, I at least prefer this than…whatever awaits there instead.” They then noticed Luis, who still starred off to the same spot they were left on.

“There’s nothing there Luis.”

“It was all just some sort of angel magic.”

“It’s not that!”

“Then what the hell are you starring at?”

He pointed over to the sky…it was grey, dark ominous cloud that only foreshadowed rain, or even a storm with the wind that joined along. Even so, there was nothing different, nothing out of the ordinary, the sky here was just as it was in Earth.

“Are you not seeing this?”

“Uh…no.” they all agreed.

“The lines, the weird numbers and letters, the points, the stars.” Should they worry over the fact that they didn’t see it? Or worry over Luis. Was he going crazy already? They just arrived here.

“There’s…nothing in the sky.” Suriel wanted to make it clear…and yet Luis continued to stare off, one single line taking his attention.

It brightened and dimmed down constantly, continuously going into the forest behind them. Curious, he turned and began to follow it, finally heading down the hill, then noticing a small paved road of mud, rocks and fallen branches. He turned back to the rest, who still stood at the top of the hill, confused as why Luis just decided to go there.

“Are we really going to stay here our entire afterlife, or are we really going somewhere?” he wondered, ushering all of them to come and continue the direction he had settled for now.

“They did say he was a Stellar, a sort of…map, so I guess we should be following him for now.” Gensel suggested, standing himself and beginning to make the descend down.

Although Suriel and Rei were still rather skeptical about this, Luis was right, it was either stay here and face whatever could catch up to them, or head somewhere and find more clues about this place. The two of them decided to join along with the other two who waited at the very beginning of the road, Luis seeing that he could lay the way through the dark forest, mist covering their sight from time to time, but with Luis’s constant stair to the few of the sky he could see between the leaves, he knew they could head somewhere safe and intriguing, or maybe something that could help them to learn more.