Status: First Story

Running Through My Mind

Demons

With my eyes down I quickly made my way out of the crowded club, gripping onto Eleanor probably a little too hard.

My face was hot due to the anger that was radiating throughout my whole body and the last place I wanted to be was the black van that was parked in front of me.

We had lost Kendall and the rest of her friends before we could get out of the bar, but they all were able to climb into a cab and pull away before the crowd got too bad.

I saw the door fly open and a concerned harry jump out only to take my hand away from Eleanor and help me into the car and away from the crazed mob.

My heart was thumping loud in my chest and the adrenaline that had accumulated was not helping my anger. I pulled my hand away from harry and turned to look outside the window as Paul began the short drive to my house.

“Briar, I’m so sorry that this happened. I should have been there with you.” He put his head down ashamed. I felt a ping of guilt ripple through my chest, but then my mind flashed back to what Kendall had told me no more than 20 minutes ago.

I felt like my whole world imploded within a matter of minutes. Everything I thought I had known about Harry didn’t matter anymore.

He was no longer Harry he was a demon that I had been fighting for the last 5 years. I was tired of it, and I couldn’t do it for another person. Not even him.

He looked up at me when I didn’t reply, and touched my arm. I didn’t move away this time because this was not something I wanted to talk about in front of other people even though it was who we were closest with.

I looked up into the row of seats in front of us and saw Eleanor whispering something to Louis. His eyes shot open, “why would she have been there?”

Eleanor just shook her head confused

.
I was thankful that harry hadn’t heard Eleanor because he was too focused on observing my behavior. I didn’t want Kendall to get involved just because she was the only person who told me the truth.

The ride seemed to drag on and on but then finally we pulled up to my small flat. I quietly squeezed passed harry and said a quiet goodbye to Eleanor and Louis.

“Thank you” I gave a shy smile to Paul, to which he gave a nod back.

“Briar wait, don’t you want to talk about this?” Harry said as he emerged from the car.
“No, not like this. Please I’m tired Harry.” I shook my head trying to hold back my tears.

I saw his brows furrow and a hint of anger flashed through his eyes, subtle, but still there. “I am so sorry that this happened to you, I wish that this part of my life didn’t exist. But it does. I wish you didn’t have to see that and be attacked by it but please tell me what I can do to fix this. I can’t take that part away but I want to help you right now, why won’t you let me?” I could see his green eyes start to get misty when he looked up at me.

“I don’t want to be a part of your life anymore Harry.” I said abruptly. Dramatic but to the point. I could barely hold it together anymore.

“You-yo-what?” he said exhaling and bringing his hands up to his long shaggy hair.

“Because of tonight? Please I won’t let it happen again, I’ll get us some security we can manage this. I promise please don’t do this.”
If I hadn’t known what I did I would have run over to him and pulled him into my arms and wouldn’t have let him go. But I didn’t. Instead I shut off all the emotions that I was feeling and pulled the small packet of powder out of my bag that Kendall had accidentally dropped when Eleanor had come to warn us.

He looked down at my hand and I could feel the change in the air around me.

“How could you not tell me?” was all that I could muster before I opened the bag and poured it onto the grass beside me, stomping my foot through the powdery substance.

Harry’s head dropped once again, but this time I didn’t wait for a response. I shook my head and turned towards my house praying that my roommates were still not home.