Status: First Story

Running Through My Mind

Together

I heard Louis's loud footsteps run down the stairs and cross over from the living room into the kitchen.

​With my back turned I started to ask him if he had found them, but as I turned around I stopped dead in my tracks.

​Louis's eyes were about to pop out of his head and his breathing was heavy.

​"Is this the reason you broke up Briar?"

​Angry was an understatement as he threw the bag onto the counter.

​"I can't believe you didn't tell us" He said still fuming.

​I opened my mouth to start to try to explain, but was cut off again by Louis.

​"Do you even realize how big of a deal this is? Do you? Honestly, how could you have known about this and not told us?" He was now yelling.

​Yelling at me.

​Yelling at me?

​"Are you kidding me?" I finally spoke out as Eleanor came slowly walking into the room.

​"No are you-"
​This time it was my turn to yell.

​"No! Enough you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Coming in here and yelling at me because your friend has a coke problem? Something that I had thought you were aware of! This is bullshit, everything in my life is bullshit at this point."

​I couldn't stop at this point words were just fumbling out. It wasn't that I was mad at Louis, it was the whole entire situation.

​Tears brimmed my eyes, and every emotion that I was holding in the last few days came all at once like a tidal wave.

​"You think that I ,for any second, am ignorant to the fact of how big of a deal this is? I cut him off from my life for christ sakes! Do you think that was easy? I cut him off because for the last year and a half I have been trying to get my baby brother off of heroine!" The last part just came slipping out.
​​​
​My voice now a small quiver , "I can't watch another person I love wither away right in front of me. I can't do it anymore."

​The tears that had gathered seemed to be frozen in my eyes, and the pain in my chest was back. I shouldn't have yelled back at Louis, he had every right to be upset. Not only was his bestfriend putting his life at risk, but the whole entire bands career as well.

​"Briar," Louis lowered his head ashamed, and gave me a sad look.

​"No please do not give me that​​​​​​​​, do not feel sorry for me. You were right I should have told you. I just I don't know, I couldn't bring myself to even deal with it. I love him so much and I feel like that was just completely ripped away from me."

​Eleanor and Louis both now came over to me, El grabbing onto my shoulders and looking into my eyes.

​"Hey look at me, we're going to figure this out. Together. You cannot keep going through life fighting every one else's battles, you need to take care of yourself."

​She then pulled me into a hug. I tightened my grip around her, and for the first time in my life I felt relief. I had realized asking for help, was okay. It was necessary.

​I heard Louis sigh and he slowly made his way over to us putting his arm around El, and then rested his free hand on my shoulder.

​Our moment was interrupted when we heard a car door shut outside and then a key turn in the lock. ​​​​​​​​

​My heart stopped, and I quickly stepped back looking around me for an exit so I could escape this situation.

​Louis grabbed my hand stopping me, " You can't keep running we have to address this."

​I nodded slowly and took a deep breath as the door flung open.

​Harry walked into the living room oblivious to what was waiting for him in the kitchen,

​"Hey Lou whatever you're cooking smells great but I'm gonna call it a night." He called out from the stairs, sounding mentally and physically exhausted.

​I spoke up now ready to get this over with, "can you come in here please?"

​His footsteps abruptly stopped.

​"Briar?" He said the vulnerability dripping from his voice.

​He then appeared in the doorway. His eyes were bloodshot and had huge bags underneath them obviously trying to be hidden with concealer.

​"Wh-what are you doing here?"
​He asked looking only at me.


​Louis now stepped infront of me and told Harry to sit down, as he took a seat himself.

​Harry looked confused but his face turned a deep red as he looked at the table infront of him,
​"Where'd you find it?" He said about the bag infront of him.

​"In your room." Louis said quietly.

​"I don't use it anymore if that helps." He said solemnly.

​"I understand your concern and I will gladly talk about this with you and the rest of the lads any other time, but right now I can't do that until I have talked to her."

​Louis looked as though he was about to protest but Eleanor placed her hand on his arm and nodded her head to his room.

​"Tomorrow. We talk about this tomorrow." Louis said ​​​​seriously, as he and Eleanor retreated.

​"Briar please look at me, I know I said I would give you space. But there's something you really need to know."

​I looked up at him signaling that he could continue,
​"Every single day that I have spent without you, I have literally felt myself disappearing. It was like you took a piece of my soul with you the very first day that we met. ​​​​​​​​​​I can remember what you were wearing, what you first said to me, and I have memorized every single freckle on your face. I have come to realize that you laugh is the melody I want to hear every day for the rest of my life. I have also realized that I never want to see another tear fall down your cheek, and the fact that I am a reason they do fall is killing me." He said standing up and walking over to me, using his thumb to wipe the stray tear off of my cheek.

​"Like this right now, this is killing me. I need you to know that as soon as I knew about Luke I stopped. I haven't touched it since, I was going to flush it the other day and took it out but before I could Niall was at my door so that's how it ended back in my dresser. I never would do anything to intentionally hurt you Briar please understand that.​​​​"

​I didn't know what to say or how to even respond at this point, I wanted my life back with Harry. But what I want and what I need are two completely different things,

​"I'm going back to America Harry." ​​​​​​​​​​​​

​​​​​