Status: First Story

Running Through My Mind

Single Rose

“Nothing.”
“I am a 19 year old girl trapped inside a 45 year olds closet.”
I heard giggles coming from two perfectly dressed girls behind me.
Isabelle in gold sequined leggings with a loose white long sleeve with black ankle boots.
Carrie look wearing a black tank top with a cut out back and skinny jeans with high heeled boots as well.
I felt myself look down at my grey sweatpants and tank top and sighed,
“This is not funny you guys!” I said with a giggle myself. “ I’m hopeless!” The giggles turned into hysterics when I pulled out a ruffled turtle neck.
“No no no, we are not letting you out of the house in…ruffles” Isabelle shuddered,
“come on we’re going shopping in my closet”
I quickly said thank you and followed her into her elaborate walk in. Isabelle came from old money, Carrie from new, and me from well, none.
After twenty minutes Isabelle and Carrie found me an outfit that didn’t make me look like “a middle aged school librarian” I believe is how Carrie put it.
My long blonde hair was straightened and flowing in comparison to the girls’ bouncy curls that I forever envied. My tanned and toned body was covered by leather leggings and a cream flowing tank top with matching pumps and a black satchel, all courtesy of Isabelle’s closet.
I ran bronzer over my cheek bones and applied some mascara just before I heard a squeal come from the living room. I ran out of the bathroom makeup in hand, “WHAT! What’s wrong is everyone okay?”
“Yes, mom, we are fine I just think you should take a look out of your window.”
I gave Carrie a narrowed expression, “ Hah, funn-“ but before I could finish my sentence I saw it.
Outside of my average flat, was a limousine.
“You have got to be kidding me…” I was shocked.
My two friends were in hysterics once again, “geez Bry you should fracture bones more often maybe we’d get a nicer flat if it were both ankles.” Isabelle laughed.
“ oh enough! This is too much I can’t believe he did that” a smile formed on my lips as we made our way out of the apartment and into the limo.
A single rose sat on the seat that was facing the door, next to a hand written note.
“ Briar,
I hope you are reading this because then that means you are on your way to the concert. Which also means you don’t think I am incredibly mad for sending this choice of car! I truly feel terrible about what happened and would like to make it up to you if you’d let me. Your seats will be easy for me to see so I really hope to look out and see your beautiful smile rather than an empty space.
Yours truly,
Harry x”
A feeling arose in my stomach that I had yet to feel before, and it made its way up to my face as I felt a smile form on my lips. Maybe my friends were right about tonight being exactly what I needed.