Status: First Story

Running Through My Mind

Encounters

I was starting to think that our date was the actual car ride. It had been over an hour in the
​​​car, which I personally did not mind at all.

There was light conversation ranging from my studies to his music, and to fill the rare silence the radio held a low murmur in the back ground.

​​​​​I noticed that I took a liking to watch Harry as he spoke, not because he was so eloquent but because there was always a genuine expression plastered onto his face.

Being with Harry was refreshing and it made me feel as if I was not necessarily a different person, but myself in a brighter light.

At around fifteen minutes after we hit the hour mark we pulled into a small parking lot by a familiar docking area with a beautiful view of a bay. My eyes turned to find the small restaurant settled right by the water and smiled to myself when I realized where we were.

​​​​​
Harry’s P.O.V.
As we pulled up to the small restaurant I cautiously looked over at Briar instead of an annoyed most girls would give the appearance of the casual restaurant she wore a beautiful smile.

I jumped out of my car and walked around to her door before she could open it herself.

I offered her my hand and she graciously took it, I noticed the strength in her grip although her hands were as tiny as could be.

“I used to come here with my Dad when I was a kid and I remembered how good their burgers were so I thought that this would probably be better than any place in the city, not that you’re not worth the fancy meal I-I just thought maybe we could-“

Briar cut me off

“Harry relax it’s perfect, I would choose a burger over a small plate of lettuce that costs more than my education anyday” she said, there was a strange look on her face while she took a moment to breathe in the fresh salt air almost like she was remembering something.

“I love getting to know you, it’s quite refreshing I must say.” I said while admiring her.

​​​​​
We walked into the restaurant and I noticed that the same owner was standing at the host stand as the one who used to reside there when I was a kid.

Briar opened her mouth just at the same time the middle aged blonde owner went to speak, “Harry I have to tell you-“

The women’s eyes shot open and I couldn’t help but notice they were the same grey with similar gold flecks as Briar’s.

Now that I noticed it, her face was almost identical to Briar’s just with more years added on to it.

“Briar?” The woman said.

Briar looked at me and then back to the woman, “Auntie Rosie!” Briar exclaimed as she made her way over to the owner that I know knew went by the name of Rosie.
The two shared a hug that seemed to make up for lost time.
​​​​
It was a moment that I felt almost bad for taking a part in, and then I saw Briar whisper something into her ear and blush as she looked back up at me. I sent a small wave in their direction as Briar came back towards me with her aunt in tow.

“Harry this is my Aunt Rosie and Aunt Rosie this,” she smiled proudly in my direction, “this is Harry.”
“Well I could have told you that much,” the older women replicated the same smile, “It is lovely to see you again Harry, it’s been a while since I’ve seen you around here and not on the television.


I felt warm as I looked back and forth between the two, “I just figured I wanted to take Briar to a special place that I hold close to me.” I said honestly.
“Well don’t let me keep you from your date, and Briar make sure you don’t get food on that pretty face of yours, he’s a keeper. She always used to manage to get more food on her face than in her mouth when she was younger.”

Briar looked at me without a hint of embarrassment on her face and added, “Don’t worry I grew out of it by the time I stopped wearing braces and pig tails.”

​​​​​
I laughed at her amazing sense of humor and the fact that she was not at all embarrassed to make fun of herself, “ I’m upset that I didn’t get to see that phase of yours, I’m sure it was quite adorable. Way better than my David Beckham frosted tips phase.”

To this both women laughed sweetly.

As we sat down at the table on the deck that was lit by mini twinkle lights I looked out at the amber sky reflecting off the water, “I wasn’t aware that you had any family here I just assumed they were all in the States. And that one was a woman I had already met, seems kind of like fate don’t you think?” I smirked in her direction.

​​​​​
“I have a few relatives scattered around this area” Briar added as she looked up at me with a hint of sadness and pain in her eyes. She subconsciously rubbed her arm and I wondered what was hidden under that jacket.
“Well I’d love to meet the rest of them” I offered up,
“Let’s make it to dessert and then we can plan meeting each other’s families” she replied adding a playful wink.
I felt my cheeks flush and looked down at my menu.

​​​​​
Briar’s P.O.V

​​​​​
The unexpected meet up with my aunt had gone absolutely 100% better than I could have ever imagined it would be especially because she had only pulled me aside when I had excused myself to the bathroom halfway through the meal.
“Briar,” she half whispered, I noticed the soft look on her face.

​​​​​
“I know Auntie Rosie, I’m so sorry I haven’t been around much lately it’s just with school and everything I’ve been extremely busy.” I half told the truth.
“Briar look at me, please.”

​​​​​
​​​​ I looked up into her eyes trying to contain tears that threatened to fall from my own, it had been years since I had let one fall and I wasn’t about to let one go tonight. I cleared my throat and stood a little taller, which she saw right through.
She took a hold of my shoulder and before I could protest she pulled down my blazer a quarter of the way revealing my bruises which took a yellowish grey color instead of the fresh purple and blue it held a few days prior.

​​​​​
“Briar please, this isn’t healthy. He isn’t healthy. You have to stop with this Luke nonsense.”
A twinge of pain cut through my heart when I heard the word nonsense. The feeling quickly evaporated when I remembered how protective and caring my aunt was being.
“Auntie I know, it just was a bad day I promise I can handle it, I know what I’m doing. I’m strong I got it from you.” I said as I pulled my jacket back up, and took her into my arms for a warm hug.
​​​
“I hope so but Briar life isn’t always a marathon you can’t always train for everything,” she said wiping her eyes.
​​​
​​ “I have to go back to Harry but I promise I will come around more” I said wanting to change the subject.
​​​
Her eyes lit back up, “I would love that hunny, and please do bring that handsome boy back around he looks at you like a puppy would.”
I laughed at her strange choice of words and hugged her one last time before I made my way back to the table to finish the meal.

After the check had been paid for, all by Harry, after much insisting on mine and Auntie Rosie’s part that it was taken care of. We sat there staring at the water.
I noticed Harry had been staring over at me, and I looked by at him. He didn’t even bother to look away, as he said “Ready to head back?”
​​​
I smiled and nodded my head getting up from the table, we made our way out of the restaurant saying a final goodbye.
​​​
I bravely grabbed his hand as we walked back to the car and our hands only separated when he would open my door for me. His hand felt perfect in mine, and I was happy that he allowed them to stay interconnected.

The ride back to my place seemed to be only minutes and before I knew it we were standing back at my doorstep.
“ I had a lovely time with you tonight Briar,” I noticed him staring down at my lips. I took the hint and moved a step closer towards his beautifully full lips.
He closed the space between us and set the bar extremely high for best first kisses.
It started slow and sweet and then his hands moved from my waist all the way up to cup my cheeks.

His mouth moved in harmony with my own and I felt his tongue skim my bottom lip asking for permission. I parted my lips allowing him to fully kiss me, his hands had now moved back down to my waist and mine were in his mess of long chocolate curls pulling him closer to me.
I took a step back and met his eyes. Without hesitation I asked,

“Would you like to come inside?”

​​
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you to the subscribers it is so appreciated and very encouraging, please comment with what you think and if you have any suggestions. I know where I'd like this story to go but I would love to hear other interpretations!
XX