Status: Active

The Fallen One

Chapter 18

Klaus’ POV

I had a short discussion with my mother about her behavior. She would not treat Isolde in such a way. I did not know the past history between the two or how it involved Finn but I would certainly speak with Is about it. If Esther was going to stay in this house she would abide by my rules and respect my wife. Her claims of only wanting to be a family again did not come across as genuine to me but I will play along until she slips and lets her true intentions be known.

Nearing my bedroom I heard Isolde’s sweet laughter as she spoke with Kol. I was glad that another person was able to make her happy when I had things to attend to. I wanted nothing more than to speak with her in private but I did not know how to bring up the topic without upsetting her. Since finding out she was with child she had been acting strange. She believed that I missed all the frowns and worried looks she would cast when the topic of the baby arose or how she would never speak of it at all only in passing for a short time. I feared my beautiful wife was slipping into something that I would not be able to help her with but the sound of her laughter gave me hope that being with our family is what she needs.

Standing in the door way I watched as Kol theatrically told a story from our childhood causing her to giggle once more at his movement and energy. I chuckled along remembering the simpler time in our life before we became what we are now. At the sound Isolde looked at me a smile beaming on her gorgeous face and Kol stopped looking to me and smiling.

He planted a kiss on her forehead before patting my shoulder. “I will take my leave now brother. It looks as though you have something on your mind.”

I gave a nod but before he could leave Is called out to him. “Promise me you will finish the story tomorrow. I do love hearing tales of the great Mikaelson children.”

“I promise, Izzie, I will finish the story tomorrow and I will tell you more.” With that he disappeared down the hall to his room.

“It is nice to hear your laughter again love. I was starting to think it was something I would never hear again.” I said sitting on the bed taking her hand in mine.

A soft sigh fell from her lips. “I am sorry Nik. I have had so much on my mind as of late that laughter was not possible.”

“It is about the baby isn’t it?” When she looked down refusing to look me in the eyes I felt my heart sink.

Placing my hand under her chin I forced her to look at me. “You do not want this child do you, Isolde?”

Her beautiful silver eyes started filling with tears which made my heart feel as if I had been daggered. “Before today I did not want this child Niklaus.”

“Why would you lie to me?” I stood looking at her as my voice came out harsher than I intended.

She flinched away at the sound of my voice causing me to regret my harsh tone. “Please Nik calm down. Please give me a chance to explain myself to you. I have not lied to you; I would never lie to you.”

“Then love if you do not call it lying what do you call it?” My voice was cold and hard as I stared at her.

The hurt was evident on her gorgeous face. “Before today I wanted this baby simply for you and no other reason. I saw the joy on your face, the spark in your eyes as you spoke about the child and I wanted nothing more than to be the reason for that joy. I would not take that joy from you by telling you that I did not want this baby. Before today I did not believe I could love this child for the simple fact that I never knew love before you. I doubted my ability to be the mother that your child deserves. This life inside me deserves love and kindness and all the things that I was never meant to be in this life. I felt as though what I was created to be would stop me from being what something so great, so special deserved to have.”

As the tears fell down her face I wanted nothing more than to hold her but I could not will myself to move from my place. “Why do you say before today Isolde?”

A small smile graced her lips but the tears did not stop. “Today when your mother said those horrid things about our child and you something snapped in me. It wasn’t until I spoke with Kol that I knew the cause of it but in that moment I wanted to make her suffer a pain she has never known in this life. I love this child Niklaus; I love it almost as more than I love you, which is a great deal. I know now that no one aside from you will love and care for this child the way I will. No one will make people suffer the way I will if they try to harm our baby in any way.”

The happiness that swelled within me as she spoke made me feel as though it would burst out of me at any moment.

Rushing forward I pulled her into my arms kissing her with all the emotion I had in me. “That is the first time you have referred to this child as ours.”

“Would you care to know something else, Nik?” A weak smile tugged at her lips as though she knew something I didn’t.

“What is it that you know love?” I asked quirking my eyebrow up as I looked down at her face suspiciously.

Her famous smirk played weakly on her lips. “She will be just like her father.”

My heart jumped at the words she spoke as a sense of pride rose in me. “She!? Are we having a daughter Isolde? How do you know this?”

“I can feel her. I am a witch remember dear. We will have a beautiful, hybrid baby girl that will look like you.” Isolde’s face suddenly changed before she spoke again. This time her voice was weak and shaky. “Niklaus please get someone.”

The joy and happiness I had been feeling was suddenly replaced by panic and fear as her body went limp in my arms. “NO! SOMEONE HELP ME! ELIJAH, KOL, SOMEONE NOW!”

Laying her on the bed her body looked so fragile and delicate as I screamed out to them again.

Gently I rubbed her face as a tear slide down my cheek. “Stay with me Is. I need you. You promised you would never leave me alone.”