Status: Active

The Fallen One

Chapter 19

Kol’s POV

I made my way to the parlor to have a drink hoping it would calm my thoughts. Izzie was carrying my brother’s child and she was terribly frightened. Though one could not blame her for being afraid, we were in uncharted territory here. Nothing of the kind had ever happened in the history of our species. I would never let the others know that she was scared. She had confided in me and I would not break her trust. She did not want people to look at her like she was weak and I could not blame her. For such a long time she had been one of the most feared and relentless creatures to grace this planet with her beauty. When her name was spoken people would cower in fear and her hatefulness had rivaled even our own.

My ears peaked at the sound of Bekah’s voice. “Did you see her face Elijah? She is fearful. How can you be calm about this if even she is scared? I for one do not know if I will be able to stand by this. She is weak Elijah. Do you not see that?”

Before Elijah could answer I had Rebekah by the throat. “How can you be such a wench Rebekah? You claim Isolde as your best friend, your sister yet you will speak ill of her in a time of need. She protected us when we could not protect ourselves and I for one will not stand by and let you speak of her in such a manner. If you wish to turn your back on her in this time or speak of her in that way you will not have to worry about Niklaus daggering you again because I will do it myself. Is that clear dear sister?”

Rebekah gave a short nod before I dropped her to the ground.

The tension in the room was thick as the three others watched Rebekah and I, but soon was interrupted by the screams of Niklaus. Before the others could even process what was going on I was already busting into Nik and Isolde’s room. The sight before me made my heart sink to the lowest pits of my stomach. Nik had tears streaking down his face as he held an unconscious Izzie. Her skin was paler than normal and dark circles were under her closed eyes. The sound of my brother begging was something I never thought I would hear but that’s exactly what he was doing. He was begging Isolde not to leave him alone. Begging her to wake up and come back to him.

His head snapped up in my direction. “Kol help her. Do something other than standing there like a bloody git.”

Bringing myself back to reality I rushed over to them. I took Isolde form him placing her on the bed. Looking down at the only friend I had ever had in this world I began to silently beg her to stay. Isolde was the one person that had never cared that I was a cocky, arrogant, pretty boy. She was the only one that enjoyed my company. I willed her to be okay, I needed my friend. After I did a quick check I turned to the others.

“Niklaus get our mother.” I demanded and Nik quickly made his way out of the room.

“Why? What is going on?” Elijah asked as he stared at Isolde.

I shook my head at him as I turned back to Isolde taking her hand in mine. “She is not breathing and I fear for the child as well.”

Niklaus burst back in our mother in tow right behind him. She quickly made her way over to the bed. She silently chanted as she examined Isolde’s body. Her eyes quickly snapped up to mine before she looked to Elijah.

“I need you to take your brother from this room. Niklaus must go in case I cannot save them. Everyone needs to leave.” As she spoke Elijah nodded fighting to get an angry Nik out of the room.

I walked over placing my hand on his shoulder. “Nik I will stay with her. She does not need to be left alone with Izzie with the history between them. You do not need to be in here brother.”

I watched silently as he put a hole in the wall before reluctantly turning to leave with Elijah.

Making my way back to the bedside I grabbed Izzie’s hand once more as my mother began to chant again. I kept my attention on Esther and her words to make sure she was not trying to intentionally harm Izzie or the child. Her word became more frantic and Izzie’s fragile body began to shake violently before she sat up screaming. Her eyes changed as she jumped from the bed her hand wrapped tightly around Esther’s throat. I jumped over the bed placing my hand on Izzie’s shoulder before she turned using her free hand to sling me across the room.

Esther gently raised her hand placing it on Izzie’s cheek. “I am sorry my child I had no choice.”

“What did you do?” I yelled as I watch Izzie’s eyes fill with tears and she fell into Esther sobbing.

“I could only save one of them.” Esther’s voice came out shaky as she placed her arms around
Isolde. “Listen to me child it is a horrible pain to lose a child, I know this but you must be strong. My son will need you.”

As I listened to my mother comfort my best friend what she said clicked in my mind. A soft whisper was all I could manage to come from my lips. “No.”

I made my way downstairs to find a pacing Niklaus and everyone else silently watching him. Standing in the parlor doorway I could not find my voice but as Nik turned and saw me he was quickly in front of me.

“What happened? How are Isolde and the child?” I lowered my head at his frantic questioning.

Placing my hand on his shoulder I mustered up everything I had in me and willed my voice to come out. “Go to her Nik, she needs you now.”

His brow furrowed before he quickly sped up the stairs.

“Kol are they okay?” Rebekah asked.

Before I could answer the sounds of Niklaus’ pained screams filled the air. It was a heart wrenching scream that was so full of emotion and sadness.

I turned back to Elijah, Rebekah, Liam, and Noah. “Esther could only save Isolde. They will need us now more than ever.”

I locked myself in my room and a silent tear fell from my eyes as I listened to the heartbroken cries of my best friend and brother. I listened as they mourned the loss of such a special gift that they never truly got to enjoy. For the first time in my undead life I cried true tears for the pain of someone else.