Status: Active

The Fallen One

Chapter 21

Niklaus' POV

Mother had decided to throw a ball much to my dismay and Rebekah's delight. Here I stood in my room fixing my tux letting my mind wander to my dear Isolde. I had finally talked her and Kol into stopping the chaos and coming back home with me. She had been reluctant to do so but after a bit of convincing and a few promises she agreed. The gleam in her beautiful silver eyes was starting to come back little by little and I regretted not being the one to stay by her side through time she truly needed me. I feared that she and Kol had become to close but I did not believe that she would betray my trust like that. As if on cue my beautiful wife strolled into the room, a radiant smile played on her lips as she gazed at me.

Standing in front of me she began to fix my tie, the smile never left her face as she looked up at me. "You look very handsome tonight, Niklaus."

"As do you my love." I took in her beauty as I spoke, her dress held an elegant vintage feel that seemed to match her personality.

Isolde's smile slightly fades as she became serious. "I believe we need to be on guard tonight Nik. I do not fully trust your mother. Elijah has told me she has requested an audience with the doppelganger."

Placing my arm around her waist I lead her out of the room towards the stairs. "I will keep my eyes on her love but I do not want you to fret. I want you to enjoy this night with me. Is there anything else you need me to know love?"

"Well there is one small thing I did not tell you, Kol may or may not be planning on killing Rebekah's date." The small sly smile that formed on her lips told me she knew more than she was letting on.

Sighing I went to speak but Isolde cut me off before I could get a word out. "I have no plan to take part in this Niklaus. I simply want to enjoy a night of dancing and drinks with my husband and our family. I did however promise El I would save him a dance."

"I love you Isolde." Leaning in I placed a small kiss to her lips.

"And I love you Niklaus." She kissed me this time but put more passion into it than previously which caused me to push her out of sight under the staircase and kiss her again.

I let all the emotions I had not been able to show in the past months go into that kiss only stopping when I heard someone clap behind us. Looking up her brothers were standing there with Elena, Caroline, and Matt.

Damon chuckled as he spoke. "Well what do we have here? You two are acting completely scandalous under the stairs. I wonder how your mommy will feel about this."

I smirked at him pulling Isolde closer. "You should really see how scandalous your little sister can be when we are alone."

Damon gave a growl walking off towards the bar.

"Why do you feel the need to antagonize him?" Elena said sounding like she was scolding me.

"Elena you really should keep your mouth shut before I drain you dry and give your blood to Nik as a Christmas gift." Isolde pursed her lips as she glared at her.

I chuckled beside from beside her. "Now love as much as I adore when you are bad you did promise me you would be on your best behavior tonight. Plus you look to stunning to ruin it with Elena's blood."

"But Nik you know my best behavior is when I'm bad." Her eyes danced with a fire I hadn't seen in quit sometime.

"Come sweetheart share a dance with me." I kissed her temple as I pulled her away towards the dance floor.

That night after the party had died down and we had retired to our bedroom I got to make love to my wife for the first time in months. Before she would not let me touch her then she slowly eased into letting me hug her and kiss her. I knew I would get my Is back but it would take time. I believe she feared that she would become pregnant once again and lose the child. I could not blame her for that fear because I too held it in my heart. As my eyes grew heavy I continued to gaze at her sleeping form curled into me, her head lay on my chest and her arm wrapped itself around me, that was the last image I saw before I slipped into a peaceful slumber.

The next morning Isolde, Kol, and I were sat in the parlor. I was doing a crossword while Kol and Is swapped war stories of the past. He had just finished one of his stories about the time I had to save him from a whore house run by witches. Isolde was in a fit of laughter as she lay back on me.

"Did Bekah ever tell you about my time spent in London? I believe it was 1888." She smiled as he looked deep in thought.

"You're not telling me what I think you are, are you? There is no way you were Jack the Ripper." Kol looked completely dumbfounded.

Throwing her head back she let out another laugh. "Yes I was my dear. They never expected a sweet, innocent woman like me. Which made it all the more fun to watch the police search for a man."

Kol let out a chuckle shaking his head. "You really are something though I can't imagine anyone thinking you were sweet and innocent."

A gasp left her lips as I chuckled along with Kol. "I'll have you two know I can play the part very well when it is required."

As Kol went to speak again Rebekah came through the door wearing her dress from last night.

He quickly jumped in front of her. "Out all night what a scandal I trust you did better than that commoner, Matt was it."

"If you don't shut your mouth the next thing to come out of it will be your teeth." Bekah's words caused Is to laugh and I to smile.

"Don't start Nik." She looked at us as she moved past Kol.

I smiled again. "I didn't say anything"

Kol fell back on the couch. "I'm bored. Our sister is a strumpet but at least she's having fun."

"Hey we're having fun." Isolde said as she leaned back against me.

"Izzy dear as much as I enjoy hearing you moan it's not fun hearing my brother's name come out with it. I need entertainment." He chuckled as she threw a throw pillow at him.

"Well go on then have at it." I sat forward looking at him as I spoke.

Kol whined childishly. "It's no fun going alone. Come on come with me Nik. I'm sure Izzy will be just fine on her own. It's the least you could do after sticking a dagger in my heart."

Isolde gave a small laugh as she kissed my cheek. "Go with him Nik he might get lost in town and never find his way home. He's like a child you know."

I chuckled giving her a kiss. "Fine I didn't get near enough to drink last night."

Kol and I had made our way to The Grill knowing it was the only bar in town. We had been sitting here for sometime drinking and chatting but as I watched Caroline walk over giving me a wink before she made her way out of the bar a wave of paranoia settled on me. They were up to something trying to get me to bite the bait they set for me. Stefan and Damon were fools if they thought she could seduce me. My heart lay within Isolde and no other. I needed to play along with it to find out what they were up to. Excusing myself I followed her out into the street.

"Caroline, love, wait." Calling her love made my stomach turn.

"What do you want Klaus? Shouldn't you be running home to the sadistic bitch you share a bed with?" She huffed turning to me.

I chuckled slightly. "Now come on Isolde and I just like to have our fun. I want to get to know you."

She scoffed. "I am too smart to get seduced by you, unlike her. She's not a very bright girl is she? What did you do to make her turn against her family to side with you? Did you compel her? Offer her money? Or is she really just that slutty?"

"You really are dense aren't you love. Her family turned her back on her long ago much like mine did to me. I did not have to offer her anything she came in search of me." Grabbing her face roughly I forced her to look into my eyes. "Now I have had enough of this little game and hearing you speak ill of her. Tell me what you are planning."

Her eyes widened with my compulsion. "They wanted me to get you away from Kol so they could dagger him and help your mother. Damon and Stefan have a plan to help your mom along with Bonnie and her mother. After Esther's done with you she wants to use Isolde."

Throwing her to the ground rage rose in me as I sped off to find Kol. In the alleyway outside the bar I found Stefan and Damon dragging my brother's daggered body. Quickly I ripped the dagger out as I flung Stefan backwards.

"Stop brother." Elijah's voice rang out from the stairs causing me to come to a halt.

"What has mother done Elijah?" Fury clouded my vision as I spoke.

He stepped down into the ally with us. "She is planning to kill us Nik. Isolde is in search of our mother. Rebekah has Elena and she will kill her if you do not tell us where she is."

"You said we had until nine." Damon said looking towards Elijah.

He let out a humorless chuckle. "Yes well I'm sure Rebekah will be happy to start her work early and if not I believe your sister hates Elena a great deal. You might not be able to get her to stop even if you give into her."

My mind drifted away from the conversation at hand. All I could think about was that Isolde was out there looking for my mother. I knew she was strong but I did not want Esther to harm her. I needed to know what she had planned for Is. Elijah nudged my shoulder indicating for me to follow him and Kol. Damon must have given up the answer he wanted as we left them behind.

Coming out of the woods that surrounded the abandoned witch house mother and Finn came into sight. They were standing in the middle of a sacrificial ring with an extremely angry Isolde on the outside of it.

He reached out towards her. "Mother stay beside me."

"It's okay. They can't enter here." She reassured him.

Kol scoffed stepping forward. "That's lovely. We're stuck out here, while the favorite son plays sacrificial lamb. How pathetic you are, Finn."

"Be quiet, Kol. Your brother knows virtue you cannot even imagine." She sneered at him.

Elijah spoke up. "Whatever you think of us, killing your own children will be an atrocity."

She stepped closer to the edge. "My only regret is that I did not let you die a thousand years ago."

"Enough. All this talk is boring me. End this now, mother, or I'll send you back to hell." I was becoming impatient with this whole thing as I stood beside Isolde.

Esther's glare hardened. "For a thousand years, I've been forced to watch you. Felt the pain of every victim, suffered while you shed blood. Even you, Elijah, with your claim to nobility, you're no better. All of you. You're a curse on this Earth. Stretched out over generations. If you've come to plead for your life, I'm sorry; you've wasted your time. Not even your little pet, Niklaus, can stop me."

"You know nothing of what I can do old woman. I do however plan to show you what it is that you've been missing out on." Is stepped forward almost daunting my mother to come out.

Easter let out a laugh as she stepped forward a little but not out of the fire. "What if I were to tell you I could have saved your child but I chose to let that abomination die like all of you should."

Anger raged through my body as I felt my face change. Looking to Isolde I saw her face harden as her's changed as well although she did not move. The sky became clouded over and the wind started to blow. As lightening cut through the sky I realized this was Isolde. Reaching out to grab her she shot me a look and in an instant I was on my knees in pain.

Through the pain I could hear my mother scream. "NO! Sisters! Do not abandon me!"

"Mother!" Finn's voice yelled.

The pain was gone just as quickly as it started and Isolde was kneeling in front of me. "I am sorry Nik, I did not want to hurt you but if you would have touched me like that it would have harmed you even more."

"What did you do Is?" I asked as we stood together.

Her face went cold as she looked at me. "I took her power."