Status: On-going

Better in Time

Chapter 11: Lack of perks

Juelz POV

"I’m sorry Miss Smith but we have to cancel your appearance at the Dolce and Gabana store opening" the assistant informed me over the phone as I was sorting out Daniel’s pills.

"What do you mean you’re cancelling my appearance?" I snapped while throwing the bottles on the floor.

"The company feels that since your boyfriend is currently sidelined it would be better if a partner of someone who is currently playing is available for the store opening" she enlightened me as my anger began to grow.

I hung up the phone after her explanation, not even saying goodbye, and began to calm myself down. The store cancellation should not really have come as a surprise, seeing that in the three weeks Daniel had been injured, designer and award ceremony invites were being taken away from me.

I thought the glamor of dating a footballer would be enough to guarantee a crowd for stores looking for a well-known face to boost the brand, but I was wrong. Turns out that if your hot footballer boyfriend is gonna miss 6 months of football; you are bound to be left out of a-list events.

I let out a groan of frustration at my inability to get some form of reward for being Daniel’s girlfriend before calming myself down.

While my lack of social life was bringing me stress I couldn’t let Daniel know this because he still doubted that I was with him for the right reasons. So in order to put his mind at ease I had practically become the perfect girlfriend. Went with him to get scans for his knee, giving him his medication and cooking him meals.

Okay I may have exaggerated the cooking his meals part. I had managed to convince Callie to cook, telling her how Daniel loved it, but when I passed it to him I claimed it as my own cooking.

I know it’s bad but what harm am I causing? It’s not like she can claim his heart by cooking him meals.

"Juelz" Daniel called as I rolled my eyes.

"I’m coming" I informed him as I finished reheating last night’s food.

After the microwave timer went off, I dished everything up before walking to the living room to give him his meds as well as the food.

"You know if you continue to cook so well I may consider marrying you just so you don’t ever cook for any other man" Daniel teased as he continued to eat his food.

I gave him a faint smile before speaking.

"Daniel do you think you may be up for a night out?" I inquired as the thought of having to spend another night in gnawed at me.

"No" he answered as he turned his attention to the TV.

I sat there stunned at his reply.

"What do you mean no? For the past 3 weeks you’ve sat at home doing absolutely nothing. I want to go out" I demanded as he looked back at me.

"Look Juelz, I’m still on crutches and the last thing I wanna do is be at a club with a whole bunch of people who expect me to dance" he informed as I opened my mouth to protest. "If you want to go out then go. I don’t expect you to sit here with me 24/7" he concluded before grabbing the glass of water and gulping his pills.

"Have a good night" he told me before reaching for his crutches, standing up and hobbling off into the back yard.

I shrugged my shoulders before deciding I definitely would be having a good night; with or without him.

~

Lisa’s POV

"Juelz asked if we wanna join her at a club." I informed Callie as I put my phone back into my pocket.

"No thank you" she replied as she turned back to watching the end of Titanic.

I sent the reply to Juelz, declining her offer before turning my attention back to my teary-eyed cousin

"Callie you’ve watched this movie how many times and you still cry over this scene" I commented as I saw her whip tears off her cheeks.

"Well excuse me for being human" she snapped once the credits of the movie started rolling up.

"Finally" I teased as Juan walked in. I immediately tensed, something that Callie noticed.

"Hey babe" he greeted as he tried to kiss me on the lips. I shifted my face so that his kiss landed on my cheek. "Okay" he said as the atmosphere turned tense.

"Lisa have I done something wrong?" he asked as I walked into the kitchen.

"Nope" I answered as I looked at anything but him.

"Oh that’s good but why do I feel like there’s something you are not telling me?" he questioned as my heartbeat began to quicken.

"Juan I…" I began before I was interrupted by a rather loud Callie.

"HELLO FERNANDO. HOW NICE TO SEE YOU. LISA’S IN THE KITCHEN WITH JUAN" she answered quickly as me and Juan walked back into the living room to see what was happening.

"Lisa. Juan" Fernando acknowledged us as I felt myself start to feel guilty.

"What are you doing here?" Juan demanded to know.

"He came to see me" Callie lied as she saw the stricken look on my face. "Right Fernando?" she asked as he gave a stiff nod.

"I wanted us to go over and see Daniel" Fernando informed us all while looking directly at me.

"Lisa and I have plans" Juan replied.

"You do?"

"We do?" both Callie and I spat out.

"Yeah movie night, remember?" he lied casually.

"Yeah Lisa you guys had this night planned out weeks again" Callie chimed in, adding to the lie.

"Oh yeah I almost forget" I answered reluctantly as she walked towards me.

"I just need to get my coat Fernando then we can leave" she told Fernando as she took my hand and led me to her bedroom.

Once the door was closed she rummaged through her wardrobe into different clothes.

"Trying to look nice for Daniel?" I questioned before she turned around to give me a look.

"You are in no mood to judge me missy" she teased as I let myself fall on the bed.

"I know Callie but what do you want me to do? Juan has been nothing but good to me I can’t just throw that away" I admitted as I watched my cousin finish getting dressed.

"Does he make you happy?" she asked as if it was the easiest question in the world to answer.

"He used too" I whispered back.

Callie shook her head before joining me on her bed.

"Oh sweetie" she began as she gave me a sympathetic look "You have to decide if what you and Juan have is worth fighting for or if Fernando is worth the risk"

"You’re one to talk" I teased after she gave me that piece of advice.

"Hey my situation is very different from yours. Daniel is with Juelz and has never once showed any signs that he is interested in me since with being her. While you on the other hand have spent the past 3 week’s sexting with senor freckle-face" she observed before letting out a giggle.

"We weren’t sexting" I shot back but she raised an eyebrow "OK fine it was 1 naked picture" I admitted before we both burst out laughing.

"CALLIE FERNANDO WANTS TO LEAVE" Juan yelled in the midst of our laughter. We both instantly stopped laughing as she grabbed her jacket and prepared to walk back into the living room.

When we walked back in we found both men still rooted to the spots we left them.

"We should go" Callie offered before Fernando gave Juan one more threatening look.

"I’ll see you soon Lisa" he smirked before walking out the door with my cousin.

Juan turned to me with an angry face before speaking.

"Care to explain what that was about?" he offered and I nodded my head knowing that tonight was the night the truth would be revealed.
♠ ♠ ♠
To be continued...